iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Retitled: First pics-Wood-Mizer meets Cat

Started by Jeff, May 12, 2003, 03:31:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

Jeff scooped me on the LT70 with new CAT engine but I just got news (But don't hold ME to it!) that the 62HP CAT will be less than $1,600 adder to the standard 42 hp engine.  That's a lot more HP for the buck.

From the first response at the show in Bangor, MA., there may be a lead time issue.  So apparently,  people are liking what they are seeing. :o
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

Hey Bibbs,

At the big show in indy last year one of the WM guys were talking about the mast having a little problem supporting the weight of the 42hp...have you heard anything about it?

Just wondering if the cat will make this problem worse!
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Bibbyman

Kevin_H,  I've not heard that.  The sawhead and mast assembly of the LT70 is a complete redesign with big singe tube mast out of the same tube as the frame, much larger track bearings, and the whole 9 yards.  

As they have been putting the same 42 hp engine on the LT40, I can't see how the new LT70 sawhead design would have any problems handling the weight of the 42 or even larger engines.  Keep in mind,  it's also designed to drag cants off the bed with the drag back system.

When we were up there last summer,  one of my friends told me they were working on even larger engines on the LT70.  At that time it was a Kubota – some 54 or larger hp.  So I suspect they designed the LT70 to take the weight of larger engines right from the start.

Maybe the WM guy may have been trying to say was, (I'm just guessing) that the 42 hp engine was limit of what the LT40 Super could handle?  

We had a 96 model Super with 35 hp Wisconsin and the engine mount bushings went out.   When ordering new ones,  I was told that they had replaced the rubber bushings with aluminum bushings.  Said the 35 Wisconsin was the heavies engine they had used on the LT40 Supers – being good'old cast irn.  

I don't know the weight of the CAT engine,  but if I hear,  I'll let you know.  But it looks from the picture to be turbocharged. So... It may be about the same weight as the 42.???

Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

I dont remember the entire conversation, so I am sure you are right...Knowing WM they would not send out anything that wasn't right.

I was reading about the mgnt. change at WM, Wonder what don is going to do with all his free time.
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Bibbyman

I've only had a chance to talk with him "one on one" for a few minutes but I bet he's working on something - probably for someone else.
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

wasn't he working on that power plant that burns wood?

I also read in timber processing that WM has set up the LT 15 to be ordered on line and that the parts on-line ordering should be up sometime this year, Now that will be neat.

You break something and no matter what time it is you can order it and know that it will be processed first thing in the morning...

Bibbyman

Yea,  had some company called External Combustion or something.  I've not heard anything about it since the party last year.  Said then that they were ready to go into production.
Sawing since '94

Bibbyman

Got our copy of Independent Sawmill and Woodlot Management magazine today and it had a new Wood-Mizer catalog with it.  The centerfold of the ISWM magazine was a picture of the new LT70 with 62hp CAT engine.

Anybody else get theirs?
Sawing since '94

Larry

Mailman must of took my copy home to read it so I should get it Monday. :D :D :D ;D
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Vermonter

Did they run that thing in the shoot-out?  How'd it fare?
New homestead

Jeff

Doesn't a mill have to fall within a certain price range to enter the shoot-out?
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

I heard on Friday they had ran an LT27 manual mill and were going to run an LT40HD on Saturday.  I don't know what engine option.  

I think they have classes buy design type and price range.  I think they have opened it up so a manufacture can run in more than one class.
Sawing since '94

Captain

After seeing the LT40HD (with Kubota) and LT70 cut side by side in Bangor, I can saw that I would prefer the LT70 because it is QUIETER.  Goes back to Arky's post, not using all the HP/Torque, it will last longer....

I will say however, when Peterson finished in 29 minutes Saturday in the shootout, the WM crew with the LT40HD was still loading logs on the deck.... :)

Captain

Bibbyman

Has anyone got a chance to really look at the LT70 with CAT 62 hp engine yet? And see what it can do?  

I've heard (unnamed sources) that it can saw 35% faster then with the 42 hp Kubota model.    I don't know if that's overall production or just pulling the blade through the wood.  I would suspect it just pulling the blade through the wood.   The return, up/down,  log turn, clamp, would all be the same.

I still don't have any details on what blade they are using.  I'd assume the 1-1/2 x .055.

We're planning to go to a WM open house next month,  I hope they have one there.  I'll sneak out while nobody is looking and saw a log on it.
Sawing since '94

D._Frederick

I would bet that WM is evaluating going to a wider blade, maybe 2 inch. A 62 hp Cat is certainly an over-kill to be used with an 1 1/4 wide blade. The LT70 has the larger  24 inch diameter band wheels, so the next step is a bigger blade. The problem with bigger blades is the cost, there is too much metal in logs to damage $100+ blades.

Percy

I cut mainly softwood with my mill(Lt70/42hp) and I cant use all the power because the blade starts a snakin if I get too horny BUT when cutting Birch(still havent cut any on the new mill),horsepower is definitly a factor. Im guessing that 62 HP mill will really smoke the hardwood up and ifn its only that much more muney, Im wishin Ida waited... :o
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

Bibbyman

You know what?  We just got a flyer from WM on an upcoming field days deal they are going to put on down in Mt. Vernon, MO next month.  They list the LT70 and then say it's now available with a 51 and 62 hp CAT engines.  Where did the 51 hp CAT engine come from?  Nobody said nothing about that!  

I'm going to have to develop some new contacts inside WM so I'll know what's going on.

Oh yea, blades,  I was playing around with the new WM blade selector they have out on their web site and it says to use 1-1/4 and 1-1/2 inch blades on the LT70 with 62 hp CAT

Wood-Mizer blade selection program
Sawing since '94

Jeff

That blade selector script is pretty cool. Looks like sumpthin I woulda come up with. :D
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Bibbyman

One thing I'd like to see is -  (maybe the WM guys are reading this) Once you've went through the program and selected your blade based on mill, engine/motor, type of wood, etc.,  it comes up with more than one - sometimes I've seen four blade selections.  It would be nice to be able to select one to read exactly what that blade was profiled to do.  Why 4 degree vs. a 9 degree vs. a 10 degree vs. a 13 degree?  Maybe more detail like the tooth set. What the extra thickness does, etc.  I'm sure each blade design has a more specific purpose.
Sawing since '94

Sven Christiansen

We're on it, Bibs...

And about the 51 HP Cat... We gotta keep some secrets! ;)

Bibbyman

I can keep a secret.  But I got to get one to keep it. ;)
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

Hey Bib,
My woodmizer fliers show up a day or two after yours, I'd like to make a trip to the show next month if my days off work out.

gotta go check out the new blade thingy...

Bibbyman

Are you talking about the field days in Brownsville, TN on July 4-7 or the field days in Mt. Vernon, MO July 23-26?

We'll probably make the one in Mt. Vernon.
Sawing since '94

Kevin_H.

Looks like we are leaving Dallas (Big Mary Kay Convention) on the 23rd so we may just stay the nite in joplin and catch the begining of the show on the 24th.

Would like to be there on the 25th as more people may be there, but I dont think I could talk my wife into spending 2 days at a woodmizer show...

will have to work on it

Maybe this should be a seperate thread?

Bibbyman

Wood-Mizer has finally posted some information on their new LT70 with 62hp CAT engine on their website.

New Wood-Mizer LT70 with 62 HP CAT

I'm not getting one because I don't want Mary to be able to work me that hard.  ::)
Sawing since '94

Thank You Sponsors!