iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Skidder Winch Problems

Started by Arich, February 09, 2008, 06:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Arich

I have a Tree Farmer C6D and the winch wont hold. The brake band and the drive bands are both brand new. there is no leaks or fluid getting on anything and I cannot find an adjustment for the brake band anywhere. The winch model is a can-car #20. Any help would be great. I know how much we all like pictures so I posted one with my little blurb here.

OneWithWood

I am not familiar with this particular winch.  There must be a band adjustment somewhere.  On the John Deere I believe it is on left side of the winch (facing forward).  Look for an access plate high on the winch.
If the brake band becomes glazed due to the friction of slipping it will need to come out and be roughed up.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

sprucebunny

Welcome, Arich !

I don't know much about winches but here's your picture  ;D

MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

Coon

You don't have to tighten up any band.  What you need to do is follow your control lever for the winch to where the valve is.  Some place on top of that housing should be a bung or plug.  That is where you put brake fluid in.  Can-car winches have a hydraulic brake system just like a car.

If you need to know more I'd be happy to tell what more I know but it'll cost you.  Yup it'll cost you some pics on the forum. ;D ;D  I drive a hard bargain these days. eh eh
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Arich

Alright Coon, I put up some pics of my little 310 that I resurected. So spill the beans!! There is no adjustment for the brake band... :D

Coon

Have you done like I said and followed tthe control lever up to the valve housing?  Once you get clear to the top of the housing there should be a bung on the top somewhere.  Pull the bung out and look for fluid.  You should be able to see it.  If not add some brake fluid to it until you can see it.  Put the bung on and try it.  Spool out some cable and hook it on to something stout enough to pull the skidder backwards when you spool it up.

Arich

Coon, Plenty of fluid, pulls the skidder out of any jam but it just wont hold a load. :'(

Coon

Must be the brake pad then.  I can't exactly remember what the styling is but.... there should be a plate or two on the winch itself.  You will probably have to take out some bolts  to reomove the cover but then you should be able to see inside to get a better idea of whats going on.  It could also be a caliper that is seized up too.  Let me know what you find.  If you can take a couple of pics of the winch I know it'd be a big help for me.  It's been a few years since I have had much to do with the Tree Farmer.  The winch is the same on a C5 I know cuz have ran both sizes plus we used to own one.  Wished we still had that Green Beast. ;)

MaineLogger

Is the winch drum moving up and down when winching and letting off?Bad bearings can cause the problem your having.
380 Timberjack (cable)
230E Timberjack (cable)
648G Grapple
Husky 372's

Ed_K

On my gearamatic theres a spring on the brake release control, I had to replace it to get mine to hold.
Ed K

Ken

If the brake band is new and the fluid reservoir is full make sure that there is no air in the system.  Air can also cause you some grief as can the interior bearings if they are weak.  Take off the side cover and watch the band work as you work the levers.  The band should fit around the drum evenly and securely when in the hold position.  Those gearmatic winches work great but can be a pain when they don't.

Good luck

Ken
Lots of toys for working in the bush

timberjack240

did ya get any grease or anything in there when ya replaces all that stuff cause a little grease goes a lonnggg way   ::)

Stephen Alford

Hey Arich; This type of problem is difficult to solve when your just pokin in the dark. Did you replace the bands or did someone else? Maybe the bands were replaced to cure the slip, and I am thinkin the problem may have been in your master cylinder as Ed suggested. Is it possible to borrow one or pick up another one to give it a try. I have had problems  with the master cylinder but can't remember the last time I had the winch apart. What ever it is its fixable! My ol girl has been doin the come hither for 29 years , Take heart ! :)   Stephen.
logon

Ed_K

Mines going on 35, I wonder how old that is in human yrs  ;D .
Ed K

Dave Shepard

Depends on who was running it. ;) 35 is young for farm tractors around here. ::)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Stephen Alford

Well Ed 35 years that would make it about 1973 wasn' that just yesterday! 8) 8) Stephen
logon

Arich

1973!?!?!?!?!? My parents graduated highschool in '73! I wasnt even a threat to the world until the blizzard of '79 !!!!

Ed_K

My oldest tractor is a 1942 massy harris model 81 r  ;D . It's done a lot of logging in its day too.
Ed K

Arich

Got me beat, mines a '58 case 310 crawler, thats what i used to log with.

Dave Shepard

Our oldest is a '23 or 24' 10-20. Had a 23' Regular but that was sold off. Once around the yard on steel wheels is enough. :o Most unusual is an I-14 with lights and starter, one of less than 100 made, and only a few had electric lights and starter. For those not in the know, these are all RED tractors. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Arich

I didnt fuss with the winch and now it holds ??? ??? ??? :o ??? I dont know wether to keep on truckin or get nervous...

Thank You Sponsors!