iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

chain uses?

Started by gharlan, February 08, 2008, 12:04:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gharlan

I would like to know about the different tooth uses for a saw. there seem to be a lot of choices  like chisel, micro ground chisel, skip tooth etc. I guess what are the intended purposes for the different chains. I tried a search but i guess i do not know how to ask ,as I got a lot of info on logging type chains. Thanks  Gary

ErikC

There are several choices but boiled down they are production cutting and safety oriented. The full skip makes sharpening a little faster, and a saw can pull longer bars because there are less cutters. Full comp has more cutters, I think it cuts with less vibration, and a little smoother. Square chisel and round chisel are the fastest cutting.  Round is a bit slower but dulls slower as well. Bumper links are to reduce kickback, but slow things down a lot. They also make special chain for ripping on chainsaw mills (ripping chain), and chain for crosscutting beams without tearing up the edges as much. These are not for everyday sawing , such as firewood.
   I personally run full skip square chisel  on all my saws. I like how fast it cuts, but warn there is more chance for kickback. But they all will, so be careful  with any of them.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

leweee

Gary....good info on this site. ;D

OREGON
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

gharlan

Thanks for the info guys. I appreciate it a great deal. I have been running Oregon 72 LGX084G's on my saw recently. They work great and I have no complaints with them. I guess i have been unable to understand what designates a loop as a skip tooth. I think it might be nice to have a longer bar and chain for some operations. If I go to a skip tooth how much longer can I pull effectively? I will say I do not have too much trouble stopping the 372 xp if i have it buried in a full cut of live oak with these chains. I guess the 24 may be a bit much for it in some uses. thanks again   Gary

bowlofjokes

Slower to dull = Harder to sharpen?
I'm just getting the knack of sharpening my low kick back chain that came with Homelite. 

rebocardo

For your Husky 372 if you run the full skip from Baileys (30 rcs) you will be able to run a 28" bar in oak with no problems. On my 365 the only time I have encountered bogging problems with the 28" bar/30rcs (full skip) was doing the backcut in oak trees much wider then my bar length because the chips didn't clear and the chain drags a bit when the saw is sideways.

Thank You Sponsors!