iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Just started this job

Started by ErikC, February 07, 2008, 11:41:57 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ErikC

I sawed a few days last week and this week here. They had me move in the mill to cut a few logs, and it turned bigger and bigger. They take smaller diameter trees and turn them into posts for pressure treating.
  They have accumulated all these logs that are too big, and decided to saw them. Most are 10-12 inches. All from this summer, had water on them until it started to rain. The majority will be sawed into 9/4 so that speeds up production.

There is a little loader there and it's mine to use, their fuel and everything. They also have a forklift and a 966 so I'm pretty well covered material handling wise. I'll be able use my backhoe on other jobs while set up here to saw.

Also some walnut, oak, and big doug fir is piled up and waiting. Heres a walnut I opened up.

Heres a days sawing of 5/4 pine, about 1900 bf.

It'll probably add up to about 100 mbf or so.  Should keep me busy until summer comes and I can get out in the woods.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

bedway

And you call that a job? Thats defined as play as far as im concerned,,,but dont tell my wife :D,,,bedway

rebocardo

What a beautiful walnut! I really think it is one of the finer looking woods.

beenthere

ErikC
What are the yellow tags on the board ends??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Coon

That'll teach you for getting the word out that you got a mill. :D  Hey atleast you should be able to keep the bills paid and keep you in shape.

You sawing alone?

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

zopi

Oh..I WANT that walnut.

Log envy.
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

getoverit

I would love to have some of that walnut as well... wow its pretty stuff!!
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

ErikC

Those yellow tags are from some research about plantation harvest. They thinned a small area, numbered each tree and log, and then each board from those. Trying to see actual production in smaller diameter I guess. I think the plantation was from the late 60's.
  There's several even nicer looking walnut logs, I will take some more pics as we cut them. I have log envy just like the rest of you--I'm not sawing it for me, remember :'(

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Thank You Sponsors!