iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Some Texas toothpicks...

Started by scsmith42, February 07, 2008, 12:05:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

scsmith42

except that they're from North Carolina!

A local Habitat for Humanity Resale store is expanding, and taking over the property next door.  This property had a very old house, and some rather large oak trees.  Unfortunately, some of the trees were diseased, so they needed to be removed.

No one involved wanted to see the wood wasted, and it turns out that the grading contractor responsible for the lot cleanup is good friends with a neighbor of our very own Joel Eisner.

Joel figured that the logs might be a wee bit too large for his Norwood, so he gave me a call and asked if I was interested in scoring some nice, free, LARGE oak logs.  Well, that's a total no-brainer, isn't it?!

The attached photo's show the result of the call...  The trunk section depicted in the photo with the chainsaw was the part that was 22' in the air!  It was five and a half feet across.  The base of the butt log measured six feet five inches across.

I'm planning to mill some of these next week; the boards should be coming out of the kiln in a month or so. 

Many thanks to Joel for not only brokering the deal on the logs, but also for loaning me a 36" bar for my Stihl!

Scott

Now if can just pry one of those extra Peterson carriages away from Captain and make a slabber...

Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

ScottAR

Yowza!!  Nice haul!!

Be sure to take some pics of the milling...
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

semologger

You cant beat that deal. Nice toothpicks for a T REX maybe.

beenthere

That log looks like fun...

Now, there must also be a good story behind the chaps.... ::) ::) ::)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

semologger

how did ya get em loaded? Let me guess ya rolled them on by hand. :o :o

New Brunswick

How many cc is that chainsaw, to handle a bar that length?

crtreedude

Decent size tree - but don't they get bigger than that? Hardly seems worth cutting doncha think? (just kidding you)  :D

So, how did I end up here anyway?

submarinesailor

Scott,
How in the world did you get both of them on that trailer?  Did you get the D8 unstuck long enough to load them? :D :D :D I noticed trailer tires now have flat places on the bottoms sides!!!! 

Also, make sure you watch out for the junk in them.  That big, you never know what might be in them – look out :o :o :o there's a Dodge in there somewhere. ;D ;D ;D  You know how them Dodges like to hide from us Ford owners. ;) ;) ;)

Bruce

Captain

Could have sold that frame a few times this winter, but it's got your name on it  :)

Captain

Norm

Now those are impressive logs. Q-saw them up and you'll have no trouble getting rid of the boards. :)

zopi

WOW!...that's gonna make some pretty lumber...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

scsmith42

Quote from: beenthere on February 07, 2008, 12:30:54 AM

Now, there must also be a good story behind the chaps.... ::) ::) ::)

Nah, I think that they just pulled up when I dropped down to one knee for some of the cuts.  My wife shakes her head wondering how I survived 39 years w/o her!

Bruce/Semologger:  Fortunately the contractor clearing the lot set the logs up on my trailer with his trackhoe, so loading was the easy part!  Unloading them took everything thing that my Cat backhoe had to offer, and we had to help her out a bit too!  I concur that the metal detector is going to get a good workout on these!  If there's a Dodge hiding in there I think that I'll just take 'em to the dump! :D

And Bruce I'll have you know that the D8 hasn't been stuck in over 2 years!  I've gotten very close once or twice though, but the dozer gods (and more likely the drought gods) have been smiling on me..

NB - believe it or not it's a Stihl 044.  I was surprised at how well it handled Joel's 36" bar.  I used standard chain (rather than skip-tooth); I'm not sure that it would have pulled as well with skip tooth

metalspinner

8) 8) 8)

Hopefully, all involved will remember you the next time as well.  I bet you were not going too quick on the way home with that load. :D
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

ErikC

Those logs are peterson material for sure! hope they saw up as nice as they look.
BTW, I run a 36' bar on my 044 quite a bit. Square chisel, fullskip chain, cuts fine if I keep it sharp.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

scsmith42

Eric, thanks for the tip about the 044 and full skip chain.  Think that I'll call Bailey's tomorrow...

deeker

Texas toothpicks?  I guess, we call those sticks kindleing.  Just kidding....great pics!  I am surprised that your using a 044, have inhaled a lot of fumes from an 088 and have made it work for its diet.  I love the square skip tooth chain, makes it a lot faster.  Keep up the back breaking fume inhaleing great work!

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts
To those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.  On an empty C-ration box.  Khe-Sahn 1968

zopi

Quote from: submarinesailor on February 07, 2008, 06:00:33 AM
look out :o :o :o there's a Dodge in there somewhere. ;D ;D ;D  You know how them Dodges like to hide from us Ford owners. ;) ;) ;)

Bruce

yah...rust is contagious.  ;D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

scsmith42

Quote from: deeker on February 07, 2008, 08:38:23 PM
Texas toothpicks?  I guess, we call those sticks kindleing.  Just kidding....great pics!  I am surprised that your using a 044, have inhaled a lot of fumes from an 088 and have made it work for its diet.  I love the square skip tooth chain, makes it a lot faster.  Keep up the back breaking fume inhaleing great work!

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts

Kevin, you ask why I'm using an 044?  Three little words... IT'S PAID FOR! :D  I almost had a deal on a used 088 a while back, but it fell through. 

OneWithWood

Gee, Scott, it is too bad they dumped that big ole log on you.  Now you have to work hard, make lots of nice boards, stack 'em, dry 'em, unstack 'em.  Man, I feel sorry for you - not!  8) 8)
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

scsmith42

Yeah Robert, I can feel your sympathy all the way down here!   :D   :D

deeker

Scott, I have sadly had to pay for the 088 and know what you mean.  I have a 26yr old 038 magnum and it is getting tired, at least a bit picky to start.  It owes me nothing.  Going to have to get a new stihl this spring.  Maybe a 039 or 044, the big 088 gets a bit heavy when carving on the huge logs.  And the old 920 Jred is hard to find parts for.  The big ones do a lot of work, and require a lot too.  Nice pics!

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts
To those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.  On an empty C-ration box.  Khe-Sahn 1968

johncinquo

Nice!  And it didnt take 6 months to get it done!  Ha ha!  That'll keep you busy for awile.
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

dail_h

I dunno why Joel didn't saw'em on his Norwood,,,,, musta been too busy,yeah that's it too busy.  ;D ;D ;D ;D
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

MikeH

That picture of you Scott is better than yours by the cant's. 8)

scsmith42

Mike, thanks for the insight.  Joel Eisner told me the same thing - think that I'll need to change my avatar.

MikeH

rebocardo

What a great haul, beautiful wood.

It does look like the trailer tires were calling UNCLE!  :D

metalspinner

Scott,
Have you milled these up yet?
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

scsmith42

Chris - nope, but I'm getting closer!

My main project right now is constructing a new building to house the post-kiln wood processing equipment.  I've got a Mattison straight line rip, and Oliver joiinter planer, and the Baker Moulder, and I am working on building a facility where I can forklift in a complete kiln load on one door, and finished product (S4S, flooring, etc) out the other. 

It interesting... the equipment doesn't require as much room as the sorting, storing, etc areas.

Once the building is finished and the equipment set up, I"ll start milling the oak.

Scott

ps - I've been working on a deal to pick up a couple of more logs similar in size to these... hopefully I'll have some new pix to post soon.

TexasTimbers

Can't wait to see those slabs. Nice haul.

Hey Scott you look sorta like a beefy Charlton Heston in that picture. Might have to start calling you Moses.  :D

Of course you'd have to drop your Holy Motto "He who dies with the most . . . . "  ;D   
The oil is all in Texas, but the dipsticks are in D.C.

scsmith42

Texas Toothpicks - THE SEQUAL!

Last August (8 months ago) a fellow member of a local woodworking forum that I peruse posted some info about a rather large oak tree in Monroe, NC that was damaged and had to be removed. Because of his thoughtfulness, I was able to make contact with the owner - Richard Price - and he and I have maintained a running dialog ever since. Richard is a super nice fellow, and he did not want to see the wood wasted, but rather recycled and reused.

Richard lives in the old section of downtown Monroe, and his entire neighborhood is populated with very old and very large oak trees. Unfortunately, one of his trees (a red oak) took a lightning strike last summer, and it looked like it had to come down. As you can imagine, he really regretted losing the tree, and did not want to remove it until he was sure that it would not recover.

About a month ago a tree service came in and topped the tree, and last weekend I met up with the tree service and a crane service to bring down the rest of the trunk.

The main section of the trunk is 54" in diameter, 16' long, weighs approximately 8 tons, and contains close to 2,500 board feet of lumber in it. The log is now gracing my woodlot, and I look forward to milling it into quartersawn oak soon.

Here are a couple of photos - the first of the tree right after it took the lightning strike and the second is of the log at my farm. That's Richard's wife in the first photo - she's 5'7" tall...

I really enjoy milling the large logs, and it will be fun pulling some 20" quartersawn boards out of this log.

Scott

Ps: in the background of the photo with the log is the old farmhouse that I've been remodeling this year.

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

Can't wait to see what you pull out of that beauty. :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

submarinesailor

Scott,

Wish I had the time to come down and help you mill them.  But, I'm on my 9th straight day of 10 hour days.  Work is killing me.

Bruce

scsmith42

Quote from: submarinesailor on April 29, 2008, 06:00:25 AM
Scott,

Wish I had the time to come down and help you mill them. 
Bruce

Bruce, that makes two of us!  Actually, I'd rather have help "offbearing" than "milling".... :D

WDH and Dodgy - me too!

OneWithWood

Scott, some pics of you quartering that beauty with your swinger would be a nice addition to the quarter sawing tutorial thread.
What will you do with the flares?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

scsmith42

Hi Robert - I'll be sure to take (and post) pix when I mill it!

Re the flares, up until now I've been discarding them.  Do you have any suggestions?

Scott

ps - I've been thinking about you this week - the Dem's are campaigning heavily in NC right now!  You're man sure is a gifted orator, and comes across as very honest and sincere - nice qualities in a leader.  I just wish that he and I were in synch re firearms and taxes...

ScottAR

Those flares would make neat mantel brackets after they were peeled.

Flip em upside down and they could "hold up" a mantel or maybe a
bar top.   

Make pretty neat table legs if they were long enough.   

Just some thoughts late at night... 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

scsmith42

Scott - those are some great ideas.  Looks like I'll need to try to mill the flares...

Thank You Sponsors!