iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How To Saw Hickory

Started by ironstumper, February 05, 2008, 07:26:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ironstumper

Hey Ya'all,
                I'm new to sawing, and to this site. I'm wondering how I should saw this nice size hickory tree I got ahold of today. ??? I will be marketing it and don't know if theres a market for 4/4 size for furniture or if I should cut larger blanks. For like axe handles and such. Any input will be appreciated...Thanx Doug ;D
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

ohsoloco

Never sold any hickory (I'm saving it for myself), but kitchen cabinets made of hickory are becoming more popular, as they should....they're beautiful  :)

rebocardo

With hickory I would cut it now into whatever size you plan on selling since it gets kind of brutal to cut it dry even with a chainsaw.

On the other hand, it is pretty hard to resaw a 1x6   :D

For me the size was based on who is helping with the off loading. A 3x12x120 piece of green pine can be pretty heavy, never mind hickory.

Bibbyman

If you are wanting to market it,  I'd suggest you saw it 4/4 thick.  For our market that would be 1-1/8" thick. 

I generally keep a couple hundred feet air drying and sale about that much each year for cabinet makers. 

I've never had anyone ask about hickory for ax handles.  I understand that they are made by some other process than starting with lumber.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Ron Wenrich

We saw ours into 4/4 lumber.  We can usually sell it with a phone call, but we always have at least 1 Mbf to sell at a time.  Smaller amounts would have to go to local users.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

ironstumper

Thanx Guys, Say if you don't mind? Could ya give me a ballpark at the price I should be charging? Is it hard to come by???
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

gharlan

We have been using a great deal of hickory and pecan in cabinets for several years now. We first started because the price was favorable. The last I bought was back in mid December. I paid $ 2.15 bd ft FAS delivered to shop. I guess you could say it is not rare at this time. But the price is now higher than RO.  I love it though makes beautiful cabinets. Not a lot of stress problems with it  so far. Did find some powder post beetles in a piece of pecan last month though--scary.   gary

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

How to saw Hickory?

Not with a chainsaw mill.   I did two 18" logs one day and tried to use
.063 gauge .325 pitch chain ground for ripping.

Broke three new chains on those two logs that day!

Phil L.                        (P.S.  This was in my pre-Peterson days.)
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

getoverit

It makes beautiful and extremely durable hardwood flooring. If you plan on using it for this purpose, saw it at 3/4"x 3" to make 1/2" flooring. It is brutal to plane it and mill it flat and the less you have to take off the better. Sure is worth the hard work though.
I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

andybuildz

About six months ago I bought some Hickory for cabs I was making here in NY on LI.
I paid $2.40 a bd ft delivered for 5/4 and it was a really really nice grade.
Things are purty 'spensive round here don't forget
HTTP://www.cliffordrenovations.com
"How people treat you is their karma, how you respond is yours"

Thank You Sponsors!