iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Saps running here!

Started by mike_van, February 05, 2008, 01:50:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mike_van

I tapped trees yesterday, about 10 days early. Overnight it warmed above freezing [the weather people wre right]  This morning I had some quarter full pails.  Get a few days in early, then it cools off again. Look close at the photo, I caught a drop partway down -  :)
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Nate Surveyor

I love Maple Syrup. I have seen sugar trees from a distance, as we drove past.

I know next to nothing about it.

But, you are makin me hongery! ;D

Nate
I know less than I used to.

SwampDonkey

We have a few weeks to wait up here. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

mike_van

Picked up 50 gal of sap tonight, some of the bigger trees are just thawing. not supposed to freeze here, so they should run all night - Maybe 50 more tomorrow - I guess I know were i'll be............

SwampDonkey

A deep freeze coming by the first of the week.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Kevin

SwampDonkey

Yeah? All I see is ravens and they also sounds like crows at times. But they return to mate in Late March here i think.

mike_van

I've boiled off 200+ gals. in the last 6 days - But, it came to an icy halt  tonight - It was 41 at 3:00 PM,  sap was just running - By 6:00 PM, there were frozen icesickles coming out of the taps, just got the SS tank empty in time, it was freezing to the sides.  It's 20F now, wind out of Canada @ 30 mph. 

SwampDonkey

Hey, it's warmer up here for a few.............hours maybe. ;D  Hard to believe the difference in temps within a day's drive, all be it a long drive. ;D

We must have close to 10 hours daylight now.

I can see around the yard by 7:30 am and twilight is until 6:15 pm at least. We are gaining fast. We will actually gain about 30 minutes in a week, giving us 10.5 hours daylight. By March 8, we gain an additional hour. By the March 26th we gained two hours from now.

SPIKER

I put in 14 taps last friday night, wasn't done until it was dark, ~530+ pm.   Next morning I had all pails full one over flowing others ready to top. so got 20 gallons in about 15 hrs. and started boiling it down went back at 330 pm & got 5 more gallons Saturday & Tossed it into the pan.   I went & boiled it down to about 2.5 gallons & set it aside to finish sunday. (didn't get to it as it was frozen near solid by the afternoon.)  buckets were also about 1/3 full & frozen.   hope none of them break, (using plastic white pales less damage when they freeze.)   anyhow it is all still froze solid and maybe will get some flow on the 14th..??  more than likely trees will be frozen solid by then with bitter cold and -20 wind chill ...  Watched weather and maybe sunday it will come above freezing again but not likely to thaw out then weather and every thing below 30 until following weekend???

What I had wasn't nearly as sweet as last years early batch that is for sure...

mark M

I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

treenail

You guys are all making me nervous with all this boiling going on.  Still have two weeks to go before I'll be able to run the sugar house yet. This weather, below zero one day, freezing rain, the next, snow too, high wind damage in the sugarbush main lines, etc., is slowing down progress a whole lot. Traditionally I don't even boil until the first week in March , so I am hoping that Mother Nature will be feeling kindly at that point. Hard to know what is going on with the weather though. Good luck to you all.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

Raider Bill

My Dad sends me a gallon of NY state maple syrup evey year [medium] plus about 40 lbs of new york mills buckwheat pancake flour. I look forward to that package!
Throw in some home smoked bacon, thick sliced of course and I'm a happy man!
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SwampDonkey

Yeah I eat buckwheat pancakes 3 or 4 times a week in winter. The flour is milled locally and not refined so you have the peppery specs still in it. I like it that way, whole and natural. And maple syrup, we have drums full of it up in this country. ;D I see the government is selling more sugar bush leases this winter and helping existing ones with money to do improvements.

Raider Bill

Any other pancake is a waste of jaw movement :D
The First 70 years of childhood is always the hardest.

SPIKER

I had a buckwheat whole wheat combo pancakes with frozen blueberries yesterday,  8)ummmm, ;D ran out of the buckwheat but had nearly new box of whole wheat & added to the first batch in a 2/3 BW to 1/3 WW added in a cup or so of the smaller wally world frozen berries. man those were good, better than just BW or WW ones that was for sure!!!  We went through a large bowl of it just me & woman, I usually top out at 3~4 smaller ones but ate 5~6 yesterday!!!  also was covered with 2nd run syrup from last year.    Every thing is still frozen solid now here, haven't checked the buckets yet as it was only above freezing for about 2 hrs yesterday sunday may hit 40 degrees so maybe will get some sap & boiling done then.

Mark M :D
I'm looking for help all the shrinks have given up on me :o

Sawyerfortyish

It was just a little cold here today for the sap to run but last week I made 7 1/2 gal of the lightest color syrup I ever seen. Can't wait till it starts really running. I got 255 trees on pipeline and 80 buckets out. I tapped 2 weeks earlier this year than last. Nothing better than the smell of maple syrup being made  8).

mike_van

We got up to 45 for a few hours today, my smaller trees ran, that was it. Did about 35 - 40 gal of sap tonight.  Won't be any tomorrow, but Sun night into Mon. it's supposed to rain [what else] here again.  Wednesdays snow has 2" of rain soaked into it & froze solid, so whats a little more.  Yesyerday I darn near went down 4 times -  Saved only by my [rapidly fading] lightning quick reflexes.  :D

thecfarm

Might be a hard year to set the taps.But might be a good year because of the snow.Right now we have at least 3 feet on the ground.In the last 10 years or so,we can walk right up to the trees with hardly any snow.We'll just have to wait and see.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Won't be no sap running this morning, ten below.  :D :D

mike_van

Swampdonkey - Your nose will be running though!  :D      cfarm - I know what you mean about the deep snow, one year here it was over my knees, took me all day to tap my 50+ trees & I was absolutley whipped.  This year, I did them all in 3 hours - what a difference  8)

mike_van

Just about drowning in sap here!  Last year, for the whole season, I had 640 gal/sap, last night I hit 650, and today I can see half full buckets by the dawns early light -  8)

SwampDonkey

It turned cold here after the ice storm. Tonight going down to 0 F. It's been getting up to mid 20's and about 30 during the day. 20F this morning, it has been going down to 5 F the last 2 mornings.  No sap here for awhile. ::) My cousin says his lines are all under snow up on the ridge.  :o

Stephen1

no sap yet, still trying to get the tractor started. I am on the way to the sugar bush with new points, condenser, plugs and coil, sure hope it will run. If we do not get it running there will be no tapping as we will not be able to haul the sap in. We still have over 4 feet of snow on the ground and it is still  real cold. We are hoping for some thawing next week.

Pancakes , there is nothing better than Buttermilk pancakes!
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

beenthere

Stephen1
That's a bummer...hope you get it running. 
Is it the crawler in your maple sap pics not running?

Good luck.
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Stephen1

No, we actually hire Morris( in the picture) to come and plow out the bush, sure makes it a lot easier to get around. Our tractor is a TEA2080 Harry Ferguson tractor, only 25 horse. We've had it for 30 years and this is the 1st time it wouldn't start.
IDRY Vacum Kiln, LT40HDWide, BMS250 sharpener/setter 742b Bobcat, TCM forklift, Sthil 026,038, 461. 1952 TEA Fergusan Tractor

Thank You Sponsors!