iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Cleaning band blades

Started by AusLJW, February 04, 2008, 04:14:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AusLJW

Hello
Anybody got tips on cleaning used band blades.  I have always found a quick cut into a soft cypress logs cleans well but this is not really convenient.  I think I read that the resharp people use a solvent to clean the blades prior to grinding and setting.

Regards

Fla._Deadheader

We sprayed the blade and a rag with WD40, and wiped them down, right off the mill. Put them in one of the blade boxes, and sharpened from the box. Makes it quick to sharpen.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Dave Shepard

I try to always leave the band clean, either at the end of the day, or just before I take it off the mill, although this has been a recent development. Might be getting a note from resharp when the blades come back. :-[ I have heard some people don't like to use diesel for lube, but that is all we have ever used, and it strips the gunk off the band in seconds.I just filled the jug again last week, that makes about 12 gallons of diesel in almost 300 hours of sawing. I could reduce that amount if I could regulate the flow better.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

mike_van

I ran out of WD one day, had a really gumed up blade - A can of silicon spray was handy, so I tried it - Took all that stuff right off!
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Brad_S.

There have been strong discussions in the past about using diesel as a blade lube, including discussion on whether residual diesel may cause finishing problems down the line. As a fairly adept finisher, I know that most finishes, even water based, contain petroleum distillates, which is what diesel is, and finish problems from diesel are extremely remote. The same can not be said for silicon, which can cause fisheye problems in finishes. All this just to say- be careful and sparing with silicon based cleaners or lubes as there is an outside, albeit remote, chance for causing problems in the lumber down the line.
"Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans." J. Lennon

musikwerke

Since Dave opened the can of worms again concerning using diesel for blade lube I'll chime in and say I do the same.  I live right on the coast and keeping ahead of rust on machinery is an ongoing battle.  Plus, I saw mostly spruce and white pine so anything but water for blade lube made sense to me.  One mod that I made to my mill (see the link to my photos) was to add felt blade wipers to my guides and I replaced the Lube-Mizer nozzle with a much smaller orifice spray nozzle and I use a hand pump instead of a constant drip.  The amount of diesel I use is next to negligible and my blades are always shiny clean.  I do use Suffolk's urethane belts for band wheel tires and I know some folks have problems with running these on their mill.
John

Chris Burchfield

Having been through Arky's 101 Sawmill Operations, he also instructs on cleaning of blades before returning them to WM's Resharp. The cheapest oven cleaner and double ott (00) steel wool. Makes em pretty clean.
Woodmizer LT40SH W/Command Control; 51HP Cat, Memphis TN.

MartyParsons

We clean the blades at Wood-Mizer ReSharp with Hot water and wire brush. It is a special machine. Antique Heart Pine is the only stuff that takes two passes. We have a skimmer that takes the diesel off the top of the water for you guys who use the fuel. The machine even drys the blade with compressed air on the final pass. This keeps the blade from rusting in storage if the blade is not used for a time. It also takes the grinding burr off the blade before it goes to the setter. The only thing that it will not clean is a pitted rusty blade, So WM ReSharp you dont need to clean the blade before sending.
M
"A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity; an optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty." -Winston Churchill

LOGDOG

Oven cleaner is good if you have it on hand or Bug and Tar remover in the spray cans works very well coupled with a small wire brush rubbed in circles.

LOGDOG

dail_h

When I was sawing reclaimed beams at the flooring co,we had the devils own time cleaning blade,even using diesel. Antique heart pine resin is almost unremovable sometimes. What I finally did was go to local saw shop,and ask what they used to degum blades with. Don't remember what it was called,but it came in a five gallon bucket(coulda got a fifty five gallon barrel),mixed with water. Blades soaked overnight rinsed clean with a garden hose the next morning.
   Check with your local saw doc for Aussie brand
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Thank You Sponsors!