iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

066 crankcase

Started by donald_harby, February 04, 2008, 10:19:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

donald_harby

Can you mix crankcase halves?  I have a few 066 cases that are damaged and would like to use the two good halves to make one.  I would guess it is not a good idea because they are machined after they are assembled. 

oldsaw

Not recommended.  I will come up short of saying "no", because someone may have gotten away with it at one time, but the general answer is "no".

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

joe_indi

It is possible if you fit both the halves together, mount it on a lathe and check the crankshaft bearing seats for 100% alignment.If they dont align, you could remove the bearing seats and fit cast iron sleeves which can then be 'line-bored'.If this done correctly, with the crankshaft fitted, fit the oil pump and the worm.When you rotate the worm anti-clockwise it should rotate freely.If there are any tight spots, the alignment is off.
The next area is  the cylinder seat.You might have to use a rotary polisher to get a perfect seat for the gasket.
I do this often with both 066 and 046.I've had no problems so far.

Joe

oldsaw

Quote from: joe_indi on February 06, 2008, 05:54:19 AM
It is possible if you fit both the halves together, mount it on a lathe and check the crankshaft bearing seats for 100% alignment.If they dont align, you could remove the bearing seats and fit cast iron sleeves which can then be 'line-bored'.If this done correctly, with the crankshaft fitted, fit the oil pump and the worm.When you rotate the worm anti-clockwise it should rotate freely.If there are any tight spots, the alignment is off.
The next area is  the cylinder seat.You might have to use a rotary polisher to get a perfect seat for the gasket.
I do this often with both 066 and 046.I've had no problems so far.

Joe

Wow, stateside it's just cheaper to buy a different set of cases.  Not hard to find.

Mark

joe_indi

QuoteWow, stateside it's just cheaper to buy a different set of cases

Not when I am paying the equivalent of approximately $.10.00(US) to get all that done.

Joe

olyman

ummmm---case halves arent "matched".  can you imagine the extra work involved to assemble chainsaws on a production line if this was so???????----they are mounted in a fixture--and then bored---soooooo

beenthere

olyman
Would you state what you are saying a little more clear..so my imagination doesn't go into overload. Thanks

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Dave Shepard

olyman, you are right, they aren't matched, until they are bored, then they are a "set". I believe that is why joe_indi suggested boring and installing sleeves for the bearings.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

oldsaw

Quote from: Dave Shepard on February 11, 2008, 06:42:42 PM
olyman, you are right, they aren't matched, until they are bored, then they are a "set". I believe that is why joe_indi suggested boring and installing sleeves for the bearings.

Dave

You end up with the same difference.  Wow, $10.

Mark

joe_indi

A new MS660(066) crankcase costs nearly Indian Rs. 12,800.00($.300.00 )out here.
So, if 2 different crankcase halfs can be made to match for Rs.500.00 ($.10.00), with a bit of Dirko or similar liquid gasket to ensure there are no leaks (in the crankshaft chamber and the oil tank chamber), why not take the risk?
Saws with this 'treatment' have covered 12 months and more and are still running strong.
The funny thing is the cast iron sleeves last much longer than the itsy-bitsy bearing seats that were originally installed.This is more true on the clutch side.
Joe

Thank You Sponsors!