iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

SomeBig Sticks.

Started by Tillaway, May 10, 2003, 09:38:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tillaway

I have been marking trees on about 900 acre harvest plan.  Down in one of the helicopter units we have been getting marking some large Doug Fir and Ponderosa Pine.  I cruised one pine today that was 54"DBH and 184' tall.  A full ten 16' logs.  This is probably the biggest I have marked... ever.  Lots of DF in the 40" to 60" range up to 210' or so.  Also lots of defect, this stand has never been logged before.  I got a 72" Incense Cedar that the gross cruise volume was 8000 bf.

Big wood... they night need an air crane to move these. 8)  

Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

chet

Can you get us some pics. I'd love to saw some wood like that , but it would take a heck of a lot of black powder to get them babies to a size that would fit on my Norwood.
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

Paul_H

That sounds like a nice block.Where is it?
Science isn't meant to be trusted it's to be tested

Ron Wenrich

I worked one summer for the BLM in Medford, OR.  I remember one job where we marked all the "small" wood.  It was everything under 36".  We left some 60", 10 log trees, but I can't remember the species.

I also remember seeing some 1 log loads coming into town.  

The biggest red oak I've marked was 54".  On that job we left 30" trees, primarily for aesthetics and stocking.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sawyerfortyish

That sounds like real nice stuff but what will they look like when they hit the ground? If you can get them there without blowing up on impact. I would like to see some pictures too thats a big cedar
  We cut two red oaks once on a job one was 54" dia at 21'. It was on the bank of a large stream hit another tree on the way down jumped off the stump backwards and down the bank into the water my 230 timberjack couldn't move it stood it on the rear tires trying finally got on the hip boots waded out and cut it in 2 10' sections. Got it to the landing and the prentice 120 wouldn't lift it had to help it with a frount end loader. Three 21' popular and two 10' oaks and the triaxle truck was loaded

Jeff

54 must be the number. That is the size of the biggest log I ever sawed. Red Oak.  I was sawing on an old Renco Circle saw in a commerecial mill in Clare. A log like that on a mill like that costs way more to saw then its worth. I don't remember how log it took, but I sure remember all that log hanging above the saw. Never be able to cut it without the vertical edger cutting at the top of the headsaw.

Lots of whittling before you actually start getting lumber.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Tillaway

Here is the air photo.  See if you can pick out the big ones.  Some are kind of obvious.
http://terraserver.microsoft.com/image.aspx?t=1&s=10&x=2938&y=22638&z=10&w=2
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

CHARLIE

Yep Tilly! I can even spot the tree you were talking about. DanG that thing is huge. Even if you hadn't a told me I would have estimated it at over 52" DBH and close to 200' tall if it was an inch 8).
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

chet

DanG it Charlie yur eyes are way better than mine,   ;)   or yur puter has 3D. They all look jist as tall to me.  :-/
I am a true TREE HUGGER, if I didnt I would fall out!  chet the RETIRED arborist

OneWithWood

Till,
Are you sure that isn't a picture of the mud in your drive after the last rain  :D :D :D ;D :o
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!