iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Low impact Amazon Logging

Started by jim king, February 03, 2008, 10:06:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

jim king

I thought some of you might like some photos of low impact logging and some warm weather.  This week we took our little tracked tractors into the jungle and they work fantastic to bring out the cants.  The road is now 6 miles deep and was built with pick, shovel and chainsaw.

sprucebunny

Thanks for the pictures, Jim  8)

Why is the trail dug out in the first pic ???
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

jim king

This was a hill that was to steep for the little crawlers so we knocked out the top.

leweee

Jim.....could you tell use more details on the tracked tractors. ;D
     Who makes the personal carrier you showed in this thread. ;D

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,29340.0.html
just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

jim king

leweee :

I really dont know much about these things either.  They are totaly hydraulic.  The box raises like a dump truck to unload.  The tracks are also hydraulicly driven and they consume about a gallon a day of deisel.  The motor is about the size of a motorcycle engine. They are imported used into the US from Japan.  The small ones carry one ton and the large one is rated for a bit over 2 ton.
As for the personell carrier I made it for our customers that come down and want to see what we are doing.  It is the best way to get them back in the jungle without a heatstroke or something.  It all comes off with 8 bolts and the machine is carrying cants.

logwalker

What is the ground speed on the vehicles? Are they made by Marooka? A lot of them show up here. All sizes with some finished like nice imported pickups. You guys must be having fun when the sun is out, eh?
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Fla._Deadheader

I would LOVE to have one of them wagons down here.  8) 8) 8)

I have been figuring how to build one, but, I only have 318 other projects ahead of it.  ::) ::) ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

jim king

Logwalker:  They seem to have a general name "Marooka"  but none of these were that brand.

They go a bit faster than you can walk.  Rain doesnt slow them down as the ground is very  hard clay that only gets slippery on top and doesnt erode at all.

SwampDonkey

Nice ride through the jungle at the very least. ;D

Great pictures Jim.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Ianab

You do realise one of those would haul a Peterson ATS or Lucas sawmill into the jungle for you with no problems?

Very cool little wagons for what you are doing there  :)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

Fla._Deadheader

EXACTLY my thoughts, Ian.  8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

twobears

Sprucegum

Thanks for the pics  8)

Is it my eyes or have you laid your corderoy timbers in a herringbone pattern? Was that done for traction? drainage?

badpenny

I really like those small crawlers, I have a Kubota, 10 hp 2 cyl diesel, with a dump box on it. Google for dieselcrawlers and a site in B.C., Canada will come up. That is where mine came from, used to be a rice harvester in Japan.
Hope and Change, my foot,  It's time for Action and Results!

beenthere

Quote from: Sprucegum on February 03, 2008, 03:00:44 PM
Thanks for the pics  8)

Is it my eyes or have you laid your corderoy timbers in a herringbone pattern? Was that done for traction? drainage?

Jim mentioned in another earlier thread that these were designed to limit access to by wheeled vehicles...
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

jim king

Beenthere:

We made many of the bridges with the top planks at a 45 degree angle and 1 foot apart so people cannot come in with trucks and ruin the road and steal everything in sight.  The neighbors were in favor of the idea so that is what I did.  For the people who live in there we will on the back haul bring them and whatever they have.  Just for good PR.

logwalker

Well the question begs to be asked...who lives back there? I for one am so glad you are on this forum Jim. I always look for your posts. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

jim king

Logwalker:  Where we are working is one of many  areas that a previous government gave 90 acre parcels of land with title to thousands of people.  Most have given up the idea of trying to live by subsistance farming and the parcels are for sale but there remains many families all thru the area up to 15 miles back with a few chickens and pigs growing yuca , plantino etc. to feed their families.

At this time a new school is being built about 3 miles in.  The people by our standards are extremley poor and earn about $30 a month per family in cash selling charcoal but they think all is well.

Tom

To judge another's needs, success or happiness by your own, is folly. :P 

Just a paraphrase of some stuff I used to research.

beav39

excellent pics great job on the mats keep the pics coming
sawdust in the blood

Ironwood

I found a local rep for these units. ASV out of Grand Rapids Mi.  www.asvi.com 

Ironwood
There is no scarcity of opportunity to make a living at what you love to do, there is only scarcity of resolve to make it happen.- Wayne Dyer

ARKANSAWYER

Saw in "Sawmill and Woodlot" about cutting back in the jungle with chainsaws.  The whole time I was reading the deal I was a thinking that Peterson had already skint that cat.  Neat deal Jim keep the info a comming.
  Wished somedays I had 90 acres and all I had to do was worry about something to eat.
ARKANSAWYER

twobears

being rich should be masured by how you feel inside  and how you treat those around you not by how full your pockets are or how much money is in your checking acct.
JIM:i really enjoy watching your adventure...keep on posting.

delbert

Thank You Sponsors!