iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

finally some pics of the mill

Started by blaze83, February 02, 2008, 11:11:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

blaze83

Hi every one,

it's been a while since I've posted. sometimes life gets in the way I guess, things like computer problems, no camara and a JOB get in the way at times.  Anyway, I finally was able to get a camara and take some photo's of the mill and some other stuff.  :-[

Here is a picture of our LT28 covered up but ready for some more sawing when we get the chance.  We being myself and my dad. 8)

[img]

I'm always amazed that no matter how bad i screw up Jesus still loves me

blaze83

oops :( here are the rest of the pics

here is a picture of our Logrite fetching arch. most valuable tool we have, couldn't get the logs to the mill without it. largest log hauled to date was an aspen log 14'6" long and 18" small end diameter, no problem for the arch or the Polaris 400 ATV

here is a picture of some of the aspen logs we have staged ready to cut, they are 8'6" and 10'6" and range in diameter from 8" to about 16"

here is a picture of some 2 X 8 X 10'6" joists we've cut that hopefully will be part of our shop come spring.

Lud

Nice looking work.   Yer making lumber.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

shopteacher

Nice setup.  Looks like those stickers are spaced a little wide though.
Keep-on-sawing.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Reddog

Good to see you back. Hey that time thing is always a problem.
Thanks for the pics it looks like a nice set up.

John_Haylow

Nice looking setup.I didn't know Wood- Mizer made a large size cover like you have there. Thanks for sharing the pictures with us.
John
2004 Wood-Mizer LT40HDG28

andybuildz

Thanks for sharing!! Some of the very things I wanted to see. The 28, the Logrite fetching arch and a pile O' sawed lumber. How do you like the LT 28 and what made you chose that over the others?
Thanks for the photos~
HTTP://www.cliffordrenovations.com
"How people treat you is their karma, how you respond is yours"

blaze83

andybuildz,

thanks for the post, when my dad and I started looking into getting a mill and the other equipment our number one rule was no debt. We bought the LT 28 used from woodmizer, would have loved to get one of the lt40 hydrolics but couldn't afford it and still get the arch, atv and other tools like peavy's etc we needed. even though it doesn't have hydrolics, there is a small slope leading up to the side of the mill that makes loading the logs pretty easy. the mill does have the eletric feed which makes it nice for getting a consistant cut. we're still learning a lot, but having a great time.  It's nice to be able to spend some time with my dad after living out west for the last 20 years or so I didn't get to spend much time with him.

as far as the fetching arch goes, it is much more versitile than we had origanally thought so we havn't actually had to use the fetching action yet. it works great for hauling logs, with very little impact on the ground. I'll try to get some more pictures showing how light of an impact it really has. it's also very ergodynamic and very easy to manuver into position, even when pushing up hill. I'll try to post some more pictures of the arch in operation.

andybuildz

blaze83,
          I hear ya on everything you said. It was nice to see your post because as a newbie to this...and after mucho research I was thinking as I saw your post that I was pretty much on the same wave length as you...and especially after your reply.
I've been doing renovations and restorations for a living for the past 32 or so years so building and tools are nothing new to me and then after I listed my house (see my web site if you want) for sale I got to thinking about doing timber framing and sawmills seemed to go hand in hand with it. Then thinking realistally all the tools you need had me adding #'s $$$ up. While everyone says to get hydrolics and this and thats it really adds up fast $$$. So the same arch you bought was the one I had in my head. Seemed to be the most versatile. And the LT28 was the compromise I had in my head...up from the 15 but down from the 40 and forgetabout the LTHD40 $$$$...lol. Where does it end? Front end loader/tractor'd be nice...another fifteen grand for a used one and this and that and........

My real dream machine would probably be the Mobile Dimension Mill. Who knows...if I sell my house for ?$?$?$?$?$? I might be able to afford more than I hoped but for now its just a waiting game...real frustrating. For all I know I may end up in a cardboard box on a heat grate in the street...lol
So for now I'll have to live vicariously through you guys and books....
Looking forward to more pic. Thanks

beav39

sawdust in the blood

ironstumper

I like your choice of equipment. looks kinda like mine.... 8)
Just tried to upload a picture of my Hugo arch and it errored out...Too big...Sorry
Rom 8:19 Can't wait!!

Lud

Speakin of archs,  they are great.  I welded mine up out of an old disc frame.  cost me two tires, 5 lb. of rod and a gallon of paint,    maybe $120.

Speakin' of covers.  Don Rupert, the Ohio sales rep for this little mill co. from New York state,  did them a great favor by going to the Amish and getting covers sewed up  out of heavy vinyl with big zipper for only $50.  Holding up great into the 3rd year.  Fine outside protection until I build my shed.

I'm thinkin' of taking my barbecue cover to them and have them match it these covers are so good. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

andybuildz

Quote from: Lud on February 06, 2008, 08:00:57 AM
Speakin of archs,  they are great.  I welded mine up out of an old disc frame.  cost me two tires, 5 lb. of rod and a gallon of paint,    maybe $120.

Speakin' of covers.  Don Rupert, the Ohio sales rep for this little mill co. from New York state,  did them a great favor by going to the Amish and getting covers sewed up  out of heavy vinyl with big zipper for only $50.  Holding up great into the 3rd year.  Fine outside protection until I build my shed.

I'm thinkin' of taking my barbecue cover to them and have them match it these covers are so good. 8)
Post some pic if you get around to it!!

Lud

Just tap link above my pic /avatar and go to my gallery. ;)

Woodchuck53

Hey guys, does any one else stack their wood on edge? Most of mine is out side on cresote sills leveled for what ever lenght that I have. Most of this sits for a time since it's for me. So I stack on edge with the first sticker screwed to each pc about an inch apart. Just sticker and stack till I can't reach any higher. Elevate on one end and layer used tin on top weighted down. This allows rain to run off, even used holey tin. The weight of sucessive layers holds my studs and joist good and true. I see flat stack but am afraid the moisture would trap between the flats at contact and cause problems. I stacked rafter material and studs for the house for 5 years before I built and never lost a one. Hope to add a shed to the side of the shop big enough to stack under roof with my big tractor. We will see. Take care Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

beenthere

Chuck
How about some pics of those stacks??  We like pics... :) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Thank You Sponsors!