iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Points gap

Started by Faron, February 02, 2008, 08:02:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

Does anyone know what the proper gap is for points  on a  ford 300 6 cyl engine?Burning propane if that makes a diference.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Burlkraft

.030....If I remember right. Been a LONG time since I installed a set of points  ::)  ::)  ::)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Faron

Thanks, Burlkraft.  Been meaning to get an electronic deal to put in there.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Fla._Deadheader

30 on points  :o :o  Seems a bit much, no ???   But, then, it IS a ferd.
::) ::) ::)

I'm thinkin more like 16-20 ,EH ???  ;D ;D :D :D

Wadda I know  ::) ::) ::)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

sawguy21

I would suggest .020, that seems a good starting point for most 4 cycle engines. .015 will get most 2 strokes started. I think I can still remember how to do it. ;D
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

logwalker

In a pinch you can use a matchbook cover. It gives about .015" as a result. One thing we miss when setting points is that it directly effects the timing of the engine. A wider gap advances the timing I think. If you have a dwell meter that is the best. Set the points to 15 and then start it and set again to the proper dwell. Points also close as they wear the little rubber. Setting them a little bit wide gives longer lasting results.

But if you have a timing light use it last to reset the timing.  Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

Burlkraft

Why not just 1 pain free day?

mike_van

I'd set 15 or 20 thou, 30 is more a plug gap.
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

rebocardo

For a 1973 300 I-6

plug = brf-42b
gap=.035

dwell = 33-39
point gap = .027

timing = 10 degrees btdc

idle = 600 manual, 550 automatic

Slabs

I was gonna vote .015 - .016.  On older engines especially if they're running constant speed a few thousandths probably won't make much difference.

If you're serious about a solid state unit, Google up " PERTRONIX".  We found a distrubutor for an old Clark fork lift from them.  Probably $250 range.
Slabs  : Offloader, slab and sawdust Mexican, mill mechanic and electrician, general flunky.  Woodshop, metal woorking shop and electronics shop.

olyman

Quote from: Faron on February 02, 2008, 08:59:38 AM
Thanks, Burlkraft.  Been meaning to get an electronic deal to put in there.
cant remember the year-----but go get the electronic setup in a later ford pickup---distributor,wiring,and control box-------------only two wires on the silver electronic module--red and white--and the red hooks to key hot------and can get parts anywhere----- ;D ;D

Thank You Sponsors!