iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone Make Breads Without Gluten?

Started by tim1234, February 01, 2008, 05:26:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tim1234

My daughters may have an alergy to gluten.  We are getting that checked.

Does anyone have experience making gluten free bread.  My wife made a loaf (ur...brick) yesterday.  It didn't rise one bit.  We use a Zojirushi bread machine.  We have had good success with other gluten included breads.

If anyone has any recipies, let me know.  Including a good cinnamon recipe you know, for the kids ::)  ::)

Thanks

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Paschale

I think I can come up with some for you.  Let me do a little research, and I'll get back.

But if you're looking for a gluten free cookie, try this recipe on for size.  It's the prize winning entry for the Mrs. Field's 30th Anniversary competition--and it wasn't picked because it was gluten free.  That just happens to be coincidental.

I've tried it and it's a very good cookie.  I think your kids will like it, though I think it would be better with chocolate chips.

Oatmeal Peanut Butter Scotchies

1 cup white sugar
1 cup brown sugar
1/2 cup unsalted butter
1 1/2 cups chunky peanut butter (not the sugar free kind)
4 1/2 cups rolled oats (can do all old fashioned or do half old fashioned and half instant depending on your texture preferences)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
3 whole eggs
2 tsp baking soda
1 bag of butterscotch chips
3/4 cup chopped pecans

Cream butter, peanut butter and sugars. Add eggs and vanilla. Stir in oats, soda, butterscotch chips and nuts until combined. Drop by spoonful on a greased cookie sheet or use parchment paper. Bake 350 degrees for 12 minutes (brown on bottom and some browning on top). Cool on cookie sheet 5 minutes before removing to cooling rack. Makes 72 cookies.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

tim1234

Paschale,

Hey those cookies don't have any mint :D  ;D

The kids liked your cookies at the roast.  Thanks for the recipie, we'll try it out.

Tim

Paschale

Quote from: tim1234 on February 01, 2008, 06:56:06 PM
Paschale,

Hey those cookies don't have any mint :D  ;D

The kids liked your cookies at the roast.  Thanks for the recipie, we'll try it out.

Tim

Since you tried mine, you can tell me which you like better.   ;)  I happen to think mine is a better cookie.   ;D

I'm going to dig out my whole grain book from King Arthur Flour and see what I can find for you.  I think there was a large section with gluten free stuff--I'll see what I can find over the weekend for you.
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Roxie

To make gluten free white bread:

Dry Ingredients (Mix in a bowl):
2 cups white rice flour
1 cup tapioca flour
½ cup corn starch
2/3 cup powdered dry milk
½ cup Sugar
1 tablespoons xanthan gum
2 packets dry yeast
1 ½ teaspoons salt

Liquid (Mix Separately in another bowl):
4 eggs beaten lightly
1 ½ cups warm Water
¼ cup Corn Oil
1 Teaspoon Cider Vinegar

Add Liquid to mixed dry ingredients. Mix well for 60 seconds. Let Rise for 1 ½ hours in warm humid area. Then bake 50 min. in nonstick bread tin at 350 degrees. Remove from oven when very light brown. Note: Removing light will keep bread spongy and less crumbly. Let cool for 10 min. then remove from tin and cool for 30 min longer. Ready to eat.

Say when

Roxie

Also, since you mentioned you have a bread machine:

BREAD MACHINE GLUTEN FREE
CINNAMON, FRUIT AND RAISIN BREAD

Very ripe bananas or sweetened applesauce give the best flavor and make a moist bread to serve as a snack with tea or for dessert. This bread is also great toasted for breakfast.

1 1/3 cups water
3 large eggs
3 tbsp. vegetable oil, melted margarine or butter
2/3 cup mashed ripe banana or applesauce
1 tsp. salt
3 tbsp. brown sugar
2 tbsp. instant skim milk powder
2 cups white rice flour
2/3 cup potato starch
1/3 cup tapioca starch
1 tbsp. xanthan gum
1 tsp. plain gelatin
1 tbsp. ground cinnamon
2 tsp. bread machine yeast
3/4 cup raisins

Add first 4 ingredients to bread machine pan and beat with plastic whisk or fork to mix well. Add rest of ingredients in the order given above. Select rapid or basic white cycle (approximately 2 to 3 hours.)

After 5 minutes of mixing, scrape down sides of pan with a rubber spatula. When bread is baked, remove from pan and cool on rack.

TIPS:
Replace 1/4 cup raisins with 1/4 cup chopped nuts.

If you use instant yeast, add 1 tsp. white vinegar or cider vinegar.

Try this recipe on a super express cycle (1 to 1 1/4 hours)

Do not substitute potato flour for potato starch.

Say when

low_48

I found out I was gluten intolerant after blood tests last year. 55 years old, how does that happen? Think I've been intolerant all my life? Those are some of my questions, no answers. I was talking to a pharmacist recently and he was reading a study that relates gluten intolerance to hypothyroidism in latter years. Well, I've got that as well! Taking natural thryroid replacement as well. Just a caution for you, keep on top of her condition. If she is trully allergic, they will tell you she has celiac disease. That's a histamine reaction to the gluten and a really bad deal. I'm just intolerant and it isn't friendly to me or my digestion. My wife bakes scones for me as a bread substitute. The gluten is what makes smooth bread. Gluten free baking makes course, crumbly goods. That's w"hy we make scones, just globs of dough. She adds raisins for me to make a nice treat. We use "Pamela's Products baking and pancake mix that I get from the natural grocery store. The scone recipe is on the bag. The mix is made from rice flour, almond meal, potato starch, xantham gum, etc........ It does have dairy in it, hopefully that is not a problem for her. Be careful with oats, some say it is okay, most do not. If the blood test is positive, you will be spending a lot more time in the grocery store reading labels, and lots more money. A loaf (brick) of rice bread costs $6. No more chicken nuggets for her. :(  I was looking at a mill in the plains that mills their own grown sorghum flour. Nutrition seems better than rice flour, but I'm not ready to buy all the other ingredients to make my own mix. By mixing the different flours, you get something that starts to look like bread, but still not really. Good luck!

tim1234

Her blood test came back negative.  Our "natural" doctor told us normal screening done by the health care industry is usually not thourough enough.  We may take her to the natural docutor to see if we can have a better screening done.  We already found out through that doc that she has an alergy to mercury.  Had a severe reaction to the MMR vaccine.  Looked like she had gone 3 rounds with a prize fighter.  When we showed the pics to the doc, he was very concerned as well.

We have already looked at the celiac disease.  My wife is an avid researcher and has looked into all the possibilites.  My DW's dad and sister all have intestinal issues.  She is trying to find out from her grandma why her dad had to have sandwhiches made on lettuce instead of bread when he was a kid  ???  We're thinking it may be related.

No issues with milk.  The kids love the raw milk we get from a local cow share program. 

We are members of an organic food co-op and have access to many different grains (millet, etc).  So getting the material is not a problem.  Just finding a recipie that doesn't make a "brick" of bread.

Thanks for all the replies.  We will try some of the recipies and let you know how they work out.

submarinesailor

Tim,

I go round and round about the MMR and Mercury thing with my daughter all the time.

According to the CDC site:http://www.cdc.gov/od/science/iso/concerns/thimerosal.htm,  "Since 2001, with the exception of some influenza (flu) vaccines, thimerosal (mercury) is not used as a preservative in routinely recommended childhood vaccines." 

Bruce

tim1234

Not to jump topics, but you have to be aware of what is going into you're kids.  Most of the single dose vaccines do not contain Mercury (or Thermosil which is a preservative - really is Mercury). You can ask for the single dose vaccines, but they are more expensive than the all-in-one vaccines.  You can't expect a big health care company that is trying to make money make all the right decisions for your children.  I can't count the times we've recived info that directy contradicts what the CDC has to say.

You just have to be an educated parent and not just blindly trust.  I wonder when doctors are going to stop PRACTICING Medicine and really start working ::)  I always thought that was an interesting term. 

It's not jus the Mercury.  You also have to take into account past family history.  If you have had someone in your family have a severe reaction to a vaccine, the CDC recommends not giving that vaccine to your children.  The risk of a severe reaciton is more likely than getting the disease.

Tim

blueox

Tim,

We found this amazing dough, its prepackaged and can be used 100 different ways.

Its called Chebe...www.chebe.com

My daugter had many allergies and we have done the whole wheat free, gluten free, sugar free, yeast free, corn free stuff....its not easy.

Chebe was a blessing in our home. I made fresh rolls nightly, plus made them into little sandwhich breads.

One of my daughters, dislikes pizza. But I made a chebe crust pizza that she loves!!

On the site you can get zillions of recipes, we've tried many and love them all!

Although we are only 30 minutes from Newport Vermont, we ordered this by the case and had it delivered to our door. Well worth it, and it never goes to waste in my home.

Good luck

Laurel

DOT Highway Approved Log Load Trailers. For your ON Road Multi-Purpose Use

Left Coast Chris

Roxie,

My wife made your gluten free white bread.  It was great.  Not crumbly and tastes great!  Its 10 times better than the gluten free bread you buy in the health food stores.  You should go into business!  8) 8) 8)
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

JimMartin9999

Have you considered cornbread?  If understand there is no gluten if you just blend it without a lot of mixing.  Beef it up with extra powdered milk and or soya flour for a load of nutrition.
Jim

tim1234

We've been experimenting with a lot of different recipies.  Corn is gluten free but there is a high risk of cross contaminiation as many places that process corn also process wheat or other grains contianing gluten.   We found some corn dogs that are supposed to be gluten free, but they make my daughter sick, so I think they are having some cross contaminiation issues.

Roxie, we really need to try your recipie now.  We need to find a good substitute for the powdered milk since my daughter also has an intolerance to Casien. 

We also found a company that is a totaly gluten and casien free company.  It's called Namaste and they make waffle mix, cake mix, cookie mix and bread mix.   Everything we've tried so far tastes really really good.  The cookies are awesome and with some milk free chocolate chips they are even better.  Weve also found a good substitute for heavy cream.  It's called MimicCream and it makes really good hot Chocholate.

Tim

Roxie

If I had to substitute the powered milk, I'd use dry powered soy milk:

http://www.nutricity.com/n/pc/viewPrd.asp?idproduct=3726

This is gluten free, and NO dairy, and seems reasonably priced. 

Say when

tim1234

Quote from: low_48 on February 07, 2008, 12:32:13 AM
The gluten is what makes smooth bread. Gluten free baking makes course, crumbly goods. That's w"hy we make scones, just globs of dough. She adds raisins for me to make a nice treat. We use "Pamela's Products baking and pancake mix that I get from the natural grocery store. The scone recipe is on the bag. The mix is made from rice flour, almond meal, potato starch, xantham gum, etc........ It does have dairy in it, hopefully that is not a problem for her. Be careful with oats, some say it is okay, most do not. If the blood test is positive, you will be spending a lot more time in the grocery store reading labels, and lots more money. A loaf (brick) of rice bread costs $6. No more chicken nuggets for her. :(  I was looking at a mill in the plains that mills their own grown sorghum flour.

Low_48

We do spend a lot of time reading labels.  There is a good website called www.GFCFdiet.com that has a ton of information of gluten and casien free foods.  Even resturants and fast food. 

Not all GF bread is crumbly.  Try the Bob's Red Mill GF bread mix.  We make it in our bread maker and it rises pretty good and my 6 year old really likes it.  It is good enough to make sandwiches out of and does not break apart.  We also found a company called Nameste Foods.  They make a great pancake/waffel mix, brownie mix, spice cake mix etc that are excellent.  All my kids like them.  We are having a little trouble getting the Namaste bread to rise, but the taste is really good.

Be careful with any Gluten as it can, over time, cause your small intesting to not be able to absorb nurtients properly.  If this is the case, no matter what you eat, you don't get any nutruition from your food.

Bob's Red Mill and some other companies do harvest Gluten Free Oats, but they are a little risky due to cross contamination with the processing equipment.  There is one company that uses special combines, special processing equip and packaging equip that never processes anything with gluten and they even test each shipment of oats for gluten before shipping.

I'm gathering ingrediants for Roxie's bread and plan on trying it this week.

You can get some of the mixes at health food stores and some grocery stores such as Kroger.  They stock some of the Nameste products and almost all of the Bob's Red Mill products.  We tried the 13 bean soup over the Christmas break and it was really good.

And no, she cannot have dairy as she has the casien intolerence too.

The Journy continues....

Tim

Kansas

I'm curious...Is this something she will have to live with her whole life, or will she eventually outgrow some of the allergies?
Is there anything they can to do make her less sensitive?

SwampDonkey

Yeah, I didn't think they used wheat flour in buckwheat pancakes, but they use whole wheat so that is out.  We have a local mill that makes it too, but they use a lot less ingredients in the mix. It's basically buckwheat, whole wheat again, baking powder, and sea salt.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tim1234

Quote from: Kansas on January 11, 2009, 10:44:51 AM
I'm curious...Is this something she will have to live with her whole life, or will she eventually outgrow some of the allergies?
Is there anything they can to do make her less sensitive?

Kansas,

Unfourtunately this isn't an allergy it is a genetic intollerance.  She will never grow out of it and by the gentetic testing we had done, she has both of the gene's which means she will have more severe reactions to the gluten.  Through our own study, we have learned that sometimes when you resolve the Gluten issue the casein issue resovles itself.  Right now her body can't distiguish betweent he gluten or the casein so the reaction is the same.  It is possible that she will be able to have milk products in the future, but only time will tell.

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 11, 2009, 11:02:01 AM
Yeah, I didn't think they used wheat flour in buckwheat pancakes, but they use whole wheat so that is out.  We have a local mill that makes it too, but they use a lot less ingredients in the mix. It's basically buckwheat, whole wheat again, baking powder, and sea salt.

SwampDonkey,

interestingly enough, Buckwheat is not related to wheat, it is related to rhubarb.  Go figure.  I learned that last night after buying and starting to read the "Gluten Free Gormet Bakes Bread".  Pretting interesting about all the bean, rice and nut flowers.  I am looking forward to trying some of the recipies...after we try Roxies ;D  We looked for all the ingredients last night, but still need a few.

Tim

SwampDonkey

Yes I can see the connection between buckwheat and rhubard. The seeds and stalks look the same. We have a wild weed the grows here called curly dock, looks the same as well. ;)

But, as I was saying it's buckwheat flour and whole wheat combined in the mix. Father used to grow some buckwheat here years ago on some wetter farm land to keep the weeds out. That is the type of ground the curly dock grows on to, only it can grow on very wet ground. Bob's buckwheat mix seems to have more buckwheat as it is darker like the old fashioned kind I remember. The local mix is lighter color, so I assume more whole wheat. Bob's almost reminds you of chocolate pancakes, which I have made before by the way. :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

tim1234

Roxie,

We tried your Cinnamon bread today.  My daughters were clawing at the bread machine the entire time it was baking.  We used apple butter with a little more water since we didn't have any apple sauce.  It smelled great.  About 2 minutes after we cut the first slice, this is all that was left

There was a happy little bread monster that sends her thanks too:

You can see on the sides where I missed the mix cycle so not all the cinnamon got mixed in, but the bread tastes great.  Especially with a little more apple butter on it.   food6

We are looking for some good local distributers for gluten free flour.  A 5 lb bag of general purpuse flour is about $3.  You pay about $18 for the same amount of a good quality flour mix usually sourgham, Garbonzo bean, Fava Been, Tapioca, Corn Starch flours mixed.

We are looking forward to trying some other recipes since we finnaly got one to rise properly. 

Roxie, your instructions were right on the money. smiley_thumbsup

Thanks again

Tim

Roxie

It was absolutely my pleasure, and the smile on that beautiful face just thrills me!   :)
Say when

Thank You Sponsors!