iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Newbee Looking at mills

Started by dukndog, February 01, 2008, 10:08:01 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

dukndog

Newbee here looking at different types of mills. I guess a few answers first before recommendations.

Have a Stihl 46/16" and Husky 385XP/20" Have both cutting and rip chain.
Cut mostly hickory, white & red oak and some pine with a 2x4 mill(type that rides on a 2x4) At present have cut 6x6 cants 12' for shed posts.

I've looked at the Lucas, Peterson and Logosol.
Budget limited....wood will be for out buildings...i.e...Barn, horse shed, dog kennels along with siding (1x8"-12"x12'-16')
Any and all comments appreciated. Planning on going to the Ark Farm Show this w/e to view a few mills.

And a big thanks for a great site and membership!!

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

Dave Shepard

Are you looking for a swinger in particular? What diameter logs are you planning on sawing? Swingers and bands each have their advantages. Look to our sponsors at the left, they each have a small personal sized mill that would be good for personal use.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

dukndog

Sorry I didn't include this. Will be milling 16-30"max Dia logs 16-24' long.
I've seen the band mills in action and just feel my knowledge in pitch/sharpening would be lacking. I like the way the swingers perform and the Logosol for the price. Most of my stuff will be dirty coming from tree trimmers and my own land. As for budget being limited ($5k), my back may need some strength training using the old Chainsaw mill!!
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

ARKANSAWYER

Tomorrow look at the LT15 that they have down there at the Farm Show.  It will do what you want and you can sit it up to saw what ever length you want. 
ARKANSAWYER

Dave Shepard

You haven't got to worry about sharpening the bands, just send them to resharp. ;) But don't let that be the deciding factor, if what you really want is a swinger.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

zopi

I was lusting after a little swinger (not THAT kind..) but woke up with a hangover and decided I
didn't really like the limitation on width of board...if I were to add a second (uh..3rd) mill
I would get a swinger...it's nice to be able to rip off dimension lumber in one trip...but the limit
on lumber width turned me off (after some forum buddies beat me up..)

I went with the lt15..(as these guys are probably sick of hearing about) and I would marry it if it would do
dishes...but for your budget the LM2000 from Norwood is a good bet...lotta good lumber comes off of them..

If a swinger is what you want..go for it..but you can't do the wider stuff with it..

If sharpening bothers you, don't let it..like Dave said..resharp 'em...and maybe somewhere down the line
you pick up a sharpener..they are pretty much do it for you from what I can see...little 'spensive tho'..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

thecfarm

Go to that show and look and look and look.Ask questions,ask questions,ask questions and look some more.I would suggest spending a little more if you can.All those buildings would cost way more than $5000.Look at used mills too.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

pineywoods

Dukndog, don't overlook good used mills. I bought a well-used WM LT40 manual and added my own hydraulics.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

shinnlinger

I bought a used band mill that could do up to 26' and a 30" log and have been very happy also...Most new blades are less than $20 with reharpening less than 1/2 of that.

I do not understand how a 1/4 blade for my upright bandsaw costs more than a 1-1/4 one for my mill....not complaining though!
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

zopi

Quote from: shinnlinger on February 02, 2008, 04:54:34 PM

I do not understand how a 1/4 blade for my upright bandsaw costs more than a 1-1/4 one for my mill....not complaining though!

Middlemen. If you bought that sawmill blade from a big box store or woodcraft or whatever it'd double or triple in price...and the quality would dive...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

Like thecfarm said, those buildings which you listed will be worth ...
what?...
$40K?
$50K? ;)
When you look at the mill investment in that light, another "light" comes on.
If you will be cutting your own trees, then all you are doing is taking a few dollars,
adding your effort (sweat equity) and converting it to many times the value of those
fewer original dollars.
                        Example:   One very nice 16" small end pine log, sixteen feet long
                                         can be converted by your mill into around $80-85
                                         worth of construction lumber.  On an eight inch swinger
                                         that can be done without turning the log and you can saw
                                         everything from drying sticks to an 8X14 beam out of that log
                                         without a separate edger and without reloading flitches onto the
                                         mill to edge them.
                                         (That would be the swingers that easily double-cut, that is.)
P.S.  Of course, be prepared to work you booty off! Maybe a couple of love handles, too.
:D

Phil L.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

shinnlinger

Let me second the work your booty part...and dont even think about it if you dont have a forklift or tractor with FEL and forks.

The first week I used mine full time I thought I made a big mistake, but in the end it was worth it.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

zopi

no kidding...loaded a 20"x7ft SYP on the yatchit ramps tonight, alone..ta heck with that..the winch project will begin
immediately.

I'm having a ball, but if I wind up doing alot of this, I see something with hydraulics happening..and if mama has to do much of that..hydraulics WILL happen.. :D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Firebass

dukndog,

Welcome

Your topic is always a good one here at this forum.  It always seems that the question "what mill to buy?"  is followed by a mill owner that loves his mill.  Or the sawmill guru that just likes to help out with his opinion.  With this in mind try to keep a open mind on all types.  Remember that the thin kerf band mills are the most popular as far as ownership (65%).  So keep in mind that you will hear more popular support for band millers than you will for circle mills.  Don't let this detor you.  Also unless a member has owned both mills don't let them influence the decision.   In my opinion its a result of marketing.  Take a look at how much the different sawmill manufactures spend on marketing.  If you are comfortable enough to look at machinery and see that its sound enough and of a good design then you could save some real money and get more bang for your buck.  If your not comfortable enough for such commitment get your best mechanical minded buddy to go with you.   I see some quality manufactures out there (with out mentioning any names) that are a fraction of the cost of other mills and to be quite honest would saw lumber just fine. 

A bit out of the box ;D
No I don't drive a Volvo ;D
Firebass

dukndog

Well, after watching the LT40 Super and LT15 at the Ark Farm Show Sat. I'm sold on WM!!
Will be looking into the LT15 with bed extenision...
Thanks to all for the recommendations, the WM team, and especially my new Arky friends!!

DnD

pineywoods

Quote from: zopi on February 03, 2008, 09:01:15 PM

I'm having a ball, but if I wind up doing alot of this, I see something with hydraulics happening..and if mama has to do much of that..hydraulics WILL happen.. :D
Don't know of anyone thats done it but I don't think it would be much of a problem to put some hydraulics on an LT15. You'd definitely have to get it up off the ground, but there's a big advantage to that. I've put hydraulics on 2 LT40 manuals, cost a little over $600 each. Been looking at doing the same thing to a neighbors Norwood. 
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

ErikC

There is a lot of support on the FF for all sorts of mills. The fact is we all want one of each kind but can't afford it ;D
  The band maintenance was one reason I bought my peterson, among several other reasons. But the fact is, all these mills require blade maintenance, tune ups, adjustments of various kinds, and occasional repair. Especially when they get used a lot. Its a precision machine in a tough environment. So whatever you decide, this will be part of the job. That's ok though, you can get answers here if you need them.
Don't let the thought of occasional maintenance on the mill scare you away from any of them,or worse all of them. :)
By the way, If you are planning to cut mostly wide siding, like 1x12, a band mill of some kind may be a better choice. The swing mills will do it of course, but not as easily.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Firebass

Quote from: dukndog on February 04, 2008, 08:28:43 AM
Well, after watching the LT40 Super and LT15 at the Ark Farm Show Sat. I'm sold on WM!!
Will be looking into the LT15 with bed extenision...
Thanks to all for the recommendations, the WM team, and especially my new Arky friends!!

DnD

You will get lot's of support for buying a WM here at the forestry forum. it's half Orange.  It for sure is the most sold brand on the planet.  I say go for it if thats what you want.

Firebass

zopi

Good choice... ;D

do you have access to a front end loader or a forklift? 

..get some buddies to come over and help set it up..beer makes good bait... :D

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

dukndog

Yup!! Got a 4wd Tractor with FEL/Skid attachment on rear and my neighbor has an excavating business. Already got several logs from him!! ;D

zopi

Quote from: dukndog on February 05, 2008, 08:01:33 AM
Yup!! Got a 4wd Tractor with FEL/Skid attachment on rear and my neighbor has an excavating business. Already got several logs from him!! ;D

cool! Getting the mill head off that pallet is a bear otherwise...

oh..when you get it and you are freaking out looking for the water line...it's coiled under the tank...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Thank You Sponsors!