iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone else having fun working this winter?

Started by letsgetitracing, February 01, 2008, 09:07:10 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

letsgetitracing

I have more orders for wood then I can get out of the woods. One day it has 12 inches of snow on the logs then it melts. Then I have to put on my swim trunks then 47 below wind chill right after it was 50 degrees melting all of it again then guess what more snow lol anyone else having as much fun working outside?? we are getting another 8 inches right now fun fun!!
Homemade firewood processor, 200 ton log spliter, 322 cat excavator, 966 c cat loader, 3 semis, 11 trailers, 50 ton low boy 12 inch tree chipper 3120xp 394 xp 372 xp 3 365  357 55 rancher 346xp 338xp  stihl 056 mag ms 290 026 echo cs440  4 cs3000's  jonsered 2165 2150

go BIG or go Home

WH_Conley

Yeah, 50 degrees here one, below 0 windchill the next. Must be gettin old, dodn't used to get me down. Went to doctor yesterday, at my wifes insistance, sinus infection ear infection and pnuemonia. Told my wife it would have been cheaper to curl up with a bottle of bourbon. Taste better than that one inhalet too. :(
Bill

Ed

Just cutting firewood this winter has been a challenge. The weather has been so screwed up you can't plan a trip to the woods more than 5 minutes before you leave.

So far I've been lucky enough to get the wood out that I've been cutting. Several places where I had downed trees are now flooded and iced over.

Ed

roger 4400

Hi everyone!!
Overhere in lower Laurentides, Quebec there is 3ft of snow in the wood.In december there was more and my friend have a C6 and could not pull, too much snow, ground was not frozen, he was affraid for his planetaries. today another 8in. will fall.  A lot of snow this winter....have a nice day
     Roger
Baker 18hd sawmill, massey Ferguson 1643, Farmi winch, mini forwarder, Honda foreman 400, f-250, many wood working tools, 200 acres wooden lots,6 kids and a lovely and a comprehensive wife...and now a Metavic 1150 m14 log loader so my tractor is a forwarder now

letsgetitracing

All you guys are right on the money the burboun*sp the flooding, logs frozen into the ice, the five minute prep time and the snow. What a winter and it's only half over. can't wait to see what the rest will bring 8)
Homemade firewood processor, 200 ton log spliter, 322 cat excavator, 966 c cat loader, 3 semis, 11 trailers, 50 ton low boy 12 inch tree chipper 3120xp 394 xp 372 xp 3 365  357 55 rancher 346xp 338xp  stihl 056 mag ms 290 026 echo cs440  4 cs3000's  jonsered 2165 2150

go BIG or go Home

OneWithWood

It has definately been a challenge just to keep up with the domestic firewood.  Have blowdowns to work out but I can't get to them.  It is either too wet or frozen to the point the crawler becomes a bobsled-too much excitement there :o

Woke up to rain over ice - temps are dropping now and snow is on the way so we will have mud covered by sluch covered by ice covered by snow . . . I think I will work on my taxes  :-\
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Sawyerfortyish

All I got so far this winter was about 5" of sleet that froze over night. Then for the next 3 weeks you could drive on top of the sleet with a front end loader carrying logs and not break through. Then it rained hot water and that got rid of that and made a big muddy mess. Right now it's freezing rain and tomorrow and the next day it's going to be in almost 50 degrees so the frost will leave again. I can't call this a winter.  I have to carry so many clothes in the truck for differant weather conditions I look like a homeless man living in his truck.

CLL

Even the shavings mill shut down here 2-3 days ago, evidently when the logs are frozen it makes to much small shavings and dust. My biggest problem was the wind. I just quit sawing, as most of what I cut was cedar and there was no way to control which way it fell in 25mph winds.
Too much work-not enough pay.

timberjack240

ice whats that ..its doesnt get cold enough long enough here for that .. our weather is so screwed up monday it was beautiful tues. rained wed blowed liek crazy wasnt safe to cut trees thurs. mornin colder than blue blazes warm up to liek 40 in the afternoon . today snow turned to sleet turned to rain and last tiem i checked still is  ;D and to really top it off were workin in a really wet place that even when it was in hte 20's all week we still had water pokin through the ground on the part of the landing we dont hafta use  ;D  dont ya just love it  8)   liek my pap sed welcome to winnnnnter logginnnnnnn  ;D

Norm

We started out winter with an inch or two of freezing rain. The snow we keep getting keeps it from melting off so it's a constant game of tippy toe and slip slid while walking around here. None of the machinery can get a grip on it any better. I've seen more folks with casts around than ever. To add to this is carrying around a chainsaw. But! I've not been bit by any mosquitoes in a long time. :D

Quebecnewf

Ive had a pretty good winter so far 200 logs cut so far and most of them home. We had it very cold for a period of a week or so and that was good because that got our seaice froze up.

We are getting a snowstorm today and high winds forcast but we need a little more snow so thats ok.

Supposed to clear out tomorow so back in the woods tomorrow with any luck.

Quebecnewf

Furby

Quote from: Norm on February 02, 2008, 07:48:08 AM
But! I've not been bit by any mosquitoes in a long time. :D

I did several times a few weeks back when it got into the 50's. They were hatching all over the place.

letsgetitracing

Hopefully they froze mid air as soon as they hatched.

go BIG or go Home

Craig

Winter?? I am still waiting for it. It has gone from a rainy fall, some snow on top of soft ground to spring. Hopefully witner gets here soon and stays for a little while but that doesn't look likely.

Craig
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

Coon

Craig,  I think you had better move to the "Great White North" if you're still waiting on winter.  It's definately not waiting for you up here. :D :D
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Craig

Quote from: Coon on February 04, 2008, 02:14:39 PM
Craig,  I think you had better move to the "Great White North" if you're still waiting on winter.  It's definately not waiting for you up here. :D :D

If you need a chopper or an operator I will be right up!!
Craig Martin
C.S. Martin Forest Contracting
Life, Liberty and Justice For All.
(This includes Americans)

grassfed

Winter is going pretty good in NE Vermont. All of my main skid trails are frozen. I have been thinning aspen overstory and leaving balsam fir, yellow birch, cedar and spruce (the same place I started last year). Here are some Pictures that I took yesterday during my last hour of working. The wind was too much today. I have about two weeks cutting so far this year and am starting to get a rhythm going.

beforeafterfrom the stumpslast hitch (it is getting dark)Last hitch on the landing
Mike

Lud

Grassfed,   Those are some nice pictures. Nice log sliding weather.  We got mud, rain, wind and floodin'........take what you got anytime. 8)
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

Quebecnewf

Grassfed

What do you do with the aspen you cut

quebecnewf

Coon

Craig I am sure I can find a few things to do.  First of all I got several thousands of board feet worth of sawlogs that need bucking and sorting, then I would like to get a couple years worth of firewood split and stacked for my own use, then.......... lets see could keep cutting more firewood for resale......... hmmm there's about 80 acres of bush to clean up.  You think that's enough work for ya???  How many days you figure you'll need to get it done? :D :D :D

grassfed

Quote........take what you got anytime.

Lud, it is good for logging...but I spend allot of time and diesel clearing snow (we got about 16 inches today) ::)

QuoteWhat do you do with the aspen you cut

Quebecnewf, the pulp goes to Rumford or Jay Main paper mills. Somtimes I send it to a log yard 30 miles away from my farm. It just depends what people are paying and what kind of deal I can get on trucking.

Saw logs and veneer go to whatever mill is paying best or the log yard.

Aspen prices are pretty good for this area right now

I mill some of the nicest logs on my MD sawmill. I make 2x6,8,10s and 4x6,8,10s that I use for farm building projects.

Mike

Coon

That is definately a nice looking building in the making grassfed.  How big is it and what are you planning to use it for?  Nice mill too. :)

Ed_K

I am getting bumed out. Last week it rain and turned the snow and my haul road to ICE  >:( . This week I worked monday hauling cut logs down to the road side till the haul road got to slippery again, cut and bunched some more pine. tuesday it rained yesterday it rained this morning I plowed for the town 1" maybe 1 1/2"s of slush.Then it spit snow all the rest of the day. Tomorrow it'll be to wet with leftover snow to cut, and not enough snow to set the road again  :( . Oh, did I mention that tractors don't make good tobogans  :-[ .
Ed K

letsgetitracing

I just walked in the door from plowing for two days straight, and over 17 inches of snow and drifts over 6 feet nice eh?  lucky I was in a 60,000 pound loader not a pick-up like most guys. good night

go BIG or go Home

Ed

We only got about 12" of snow Wed. night, but with the warmer weather before the snow it melted some of the ice, this is what I saw when I looked behind me.

Looks like I'm not going to be going thru this area of the woods anymore.  :(

Ed

Thank You Sponsors!