iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Need Source for Identification of Western Softwoods

Started by Left Coast Chris, January 31, 2008, 11:47:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Left Coast Chris

Our son will be learning to cruise timber this summer around Orik on the coast in northern California and the company wants him to start brushing up on identification of the softwoods.  Any good on-line sources?
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

WDH

Not too sure about on-line sources, but I have a good book at the office.  Maybe it is still in print.  I will see and get you the info.  A good book and a good walk in the woods is the best way to go.

Even better would be to hook up with some crotchety old forester when taking that walk.  Make notes in the book and listen, listen, listen. 
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Dodgy Loner

The forester needn't be crotchety, but I can vouch that a walk through the woods with a seasoned forester is the best way to learn tree ID. :)
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Left Coast Chris

Thanks WDH.  I agree with the walk in the woods.... and he will get that but they want to have him bone up first.   I believe the species he will be crusing will be mostly white fir but there are alot of different species on the coast including Douglas Fir, Coastal Redwood along with the hardwoods........

He knows Cedar, Ponderosa Pine, Coast Redwood, ........ but those are the easy ones.  The Firs are a little trickier especially if they are young.
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

SwampDonkey

Yeah those firs can be challenging.

Amabilis (silver fir) is like our balsam so often they call it balsam. But it has stomata only on the underside of the needles and in one row. Grand Fir is two ranked (two rows of stomata) and only on the underside. The other firs have stomata on both surfaces. That won't be to useful if your trying to figure it out on mature timber, being way up in the tops. I think you'll find resin blisters on most of young fir trees of all true fir species. Your probably going to have to go by bark and crown form. One of the things you need to get to grips with is the terminology used in those tree ID books. If you go with a dendro text then the terms are going to be more scientific and descriptive. If you go with Audubon type books then the phrases are more layman-like and generalized.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!