iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The History Channel's: Ax Men, Pass it on...

Started by Mindy, January 31, 2008, 12:21:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

zopi

Pulling that cable with that LongRanger took muy Huevos....
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Mooseherder

How many of yooze are writing down notes gettin' ready for da exam? :D

zopi

Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

zopi

Kinda surprised the dude driving that tank/yarder didn't get thumped upside the head...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Kevin_H.

Recording it on the dvr, just incase I miss something...
Got my WM lt40g24, Setworks and debarker in oct. '97, been sawing part time ever since, Moving logs with a bobcat.

Corley5

I'm watching the encore  ;) ;D  I already learned that I'll stick to logging in N. Mi
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Don K

How long is tonight's contest open. It's 10:12 and I gotta get up at 2:30am to pull a Mon. dayshift.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Mooseherder

Don...you forgot to move your clock forward there brother! :D

Don K

What clock? The show came on at 9pm CST here. I been on Daylight Savings Time since I went to bed last night. ;D My computer says it's 10:18. The encore is already on.
Lucky to own a WM LT40HDD35, blessed to have a wife that encouraged me to buy it.     Now that\'s true love!
Massey Ferguson 1547 FWD with FEL  06 GMC Sierra 2500HD 4X4 Dozer Retriever Husky 359 20\" Bar  Man, life is getting good!

Jeff

Tonight's contest ends at the start of the next one next Sunday evening.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

semologger

Ya we are always an hour behind them Don. But they never give us a head up on whats going on. 2 30 huh you are trying to beat the boys on tv they start at 4. ;D

semologger

Dang I was hopeing for multipal choice. On the test. ;D

Mooseherder

Quote from: Don K on March 09, 2008, 11:19:06 PM
What clock? The show came on at 9pm CST here. I been on Daylight Savings Time since I went to bed last night. ;D My computer says it's 10:18. The encore is already on.
I forgot you live on the west side of town. ;)

Don K

That's good Jeff. It will give me a chance to catch up on the weeks I have to work midnights. I just submitted my entry so I'm off to bed. Good show, a very short hour and a long week until the next show.

Don

Is that the bad side of town? :D :D ;D

Furby

Not sure how soon they are shipping them as it doesn't say, but you can order the full season here:Link

Jeff

Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Roxie

I'm gonna look cute in that Stump Branch Logging hoodie!   8)
Say when

thecfarm

I was fascinated by the show.Probaly some things was played up,but I'm more interested in the logging part,not watching men bicker to each other.The logging is not done like that around here.I've seen pictures but never seen anything on TV before.I guessed at how it was done,some right and some wrong.Now I cam understand it that much better.Looking forward to the next show.How many shows are there?I was quite impressed by the mile long skyline.Is that done alot at that lenght?
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Gary_C

It is a great show. I was just able to get to see it after a long two days of work and managed to stay awake for the whole hour.

I too was unhappy with the editing with all those short clips with things flying all over the place. I would prefer to see more of what they actually do and less of all the conflicts and problems. If they would just show one normal pull all the way from the bottom to top and then loading on the truck. But that probably would not get good ratings.

Oh well, be happy with what we get, it's better than nothing.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Mindy

Hey everyone,

Its been a long, but fun, weekend.  We had the premiere in Astoria Saturday and then our local premiere last night.  Last night I had some clothing items for sale.  The Hoodys were the hot item!  So good luck on the contest. 

Melvin had to leave last night after the first showing to do some phone interviews for History.  He came back right after but I didn't ask about the interviews.

I can't believe March 9th has came and went.  I want to thank all of you who helped me.  If you are new to this thread, heres the deal.  I came here a few months ago when I started to build Melvin's website, I asked for input on the website and I got it!  As a result www.stumpbranchlogging.com came to be a very nice site because Forestry Forum members took the time to give input on the site.  So thank you all.

Talk to you soon,
Mindy

Mike_M

Most Skyline lengths average between 500' for smaller yarders and on up to a mile, even though a mile is not typical. I would guess most yarders average 1,000 to 2,000 feet per road. I too also thought they could of edited more of the conflict type stuff out and showed more logging.

Corley5

This was the 1st episode.  There's more to come to see more of the actual operations.  I think the operator of the stuck yarder needed an attitude adjustment from the show's beginning  ;D ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Tillaway

The yarders have about 2000' to 2500' of mainline which is the maximum yarding distance unless they drop line sizes.  They will hang 5000' plus to get lift with the skyline.  The yarder will only hold about 2000' or so of skyline and make up the rest of the distance with extensions.  You will see cable strung along the truck roads where there is active logging at pretty much every location.  These are usually the extensions.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

snowman

When the show 1st started I thought, why is this guy calling a yarder a yoder? Is he reading the script wrong or something, a typo? Then he explained the difference. I live in idaho not really that far from astoria area and weve always called yarders swing arm or fixed tower, never heard yoder term before.I guess it's a regional thing,see Iv'e learned something already. :)The swing arm yarder or yoder :D was good for decking your own logs when there wasn't a loader on the job and everyone used to skid log length, before these processors took over. Can't see alot of use for them now really except  they tend to be smaller rigs and change roads faster. Good for shallow strips. I agree as others have said that they have tried to interject to much drama into the show but the general public isn't as logging oriented as people in this forum so you have to expect them to spice it up a bit.Maybe theyll show the loggers on a day off at a wet T shirt contest next. :D Actually though the stress on the landing when changing roads is part of real life yarder logging, tempers flare and brush fits are common so it was pretty realistic actually.

rockenbman

;D Well id like to say I like what im seeing so far.Ive never seen this type of loging opertion before with the yader and sky line.Talk about working your butt off and only 3 month window now thats production.
I love the smell of burnt fuel pouring out of my Jonesred early in the morning.

Thank You Sponsors!