iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood Mizer resaw attachement

Started by Dave Shepard, January 30, 2008, 11:20:38 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Has anyone here run one? I have heard that it can resaw a 1x8 into two pieces of beveled siding. The mill we got last year came with one, in fact, the mill was used only for resawing, and never sawed a log. Does anyone use one for any other purpose? I would be interested in learning as much as I can about this attachment. I believe this mill was used to cut down 8/4 kiln dried hardwoods so they could be run through a moulder.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Cedarman

Since we have a 2 head WM resaw, we use it for resawing cants.
We use the one for the saw mill to resaw lumber into beveled siding. It is truly great for that.  It just takes us a few minutes to set it on the mill, move the carriage etc.  First time might take a while to figue every thing out.  We have 2 shims that we keep with the resaw to shim up one side to just the right height.  When we did not have the big resaw, used the small one to resaw 4" thick cants to thin boards when we needed a lot of them. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

spencerhenry

i have a resaw attatchment. i use it for resawing reclaimed 2x and 3x into 1x for flooring. while it is fast, it has its issues. i have trouble with it feeding sometimes, and the consistency of thickness is not always perfect. but i am usually running old reclaimed dirty warped material.  i have a theory on logs which i can extend to reclaimed material. "nice logs, nice lumber"

Dave Shepard

Thanks Cedarman, and spencerhenry. I know that when I am sawing a 6 or 8 inch wide cant into boards, I can really turn up the feed without a quality loss, so I am hoping I can do the same with the resaw.  Should I air dry the boards before resawing? I will be using EWP, as there aren't any cedars around here. Thanks.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Cedarman

Ideally, you want nice flat boards.  The hold down rollers will not flatten the board much. 
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

Thank You Sponsors!