iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

stihl 044's

Started by chris girard, May 10, 2003, 09:42:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chris girard

O.K. , got a question for you guys. How many of you out there own and run the 044, and what do you think of them? Also, how come there is no decompression valve on the 044, but there is on the 036 and the 046?

Rob

Chris,

The 044 is a very good mid size saw,I own one but have not been using it lately very much since I bought my 385XP a while back,from what I have heard from a few people is that the new MS440 may have a decomp valve but it's just a rumor I have heard.The saws have a very good power to weight ratio I don't think they can be beat.

Bro. Noble

We have 5 sizes of Stihl saws ranging from an 09 to an 066, one being an 044.  If I had to try and get by with one saw,  it would be the 044.  

Noble
milking and logging and sawing and milking

sawinmontana

I'm a husky fan, but a couple months ago I found a deal on an almost  new 44 to good to pass up. I had kind of made up my mind ahead of time that I wasn't going to like it because it wasn't a husky. But after using it for falling for awhile I really like it. I wouldn't hesitate to by either brand now.

I don't see the need for a compression release on it, but I've never tried a saw that had it.

Scott

Mark M

I have a MS 460 with the compression release and I can tell you it makes a big difference. I questioned whether it was necessary when I was trying to decide between the 460 and 440 but I am glad I got the 460 now. My MS 260 Pro has one and I use it all the time too even though it's just a little fella.

Mark

burlman

I'm running 2- 044's my 1st ran for a good few years ended up breaking a front moter mount some how, so I retired it to  powering my Lewis chain saw winch, still going great. Went out and bought another 44 arctic package. It was on special so I took it. Let me tell you them heated handle bars are real nice on a cold or wet day....burlman....

chris girard

Thanks for the info. on the 044's guys.

J Beyer

My 066 does not have the de-comp valve and I can start it easier than my 036PRO which does.  Could it be that the 036PRO is in a higher state of tune per cc?  Any of you out there have thoughts on H.O. saws for their size  as being difficult to start when compared to a saw of higher displacement but of the same power output?

JB
"From my cold, dead, hands you dirty Liberals"

AtLast

My MS 440 does have decompression....WHAT A SAW!!!!!....ok Im done ;D

OneWithWood

gee, my MS440 does not have a decompression valve.  Of course mebbe it does and I just don't know it.  :P My 038 does not have one and none of my previous saws did.
AtLast, would you describe the decomp on your saw and how it is activated?
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Weekend_Sawyer

Just to skew a little,

I have an 066, I like it alot. It has the decomp valve but you can start it without it. My brother, ever the heman, likes to start it without usint the decomp. Now I have to replace the pull handle >:(
Imagine, Me a Tree Farmer.
Jon, Appalachian American Wannabe.

Frickman

I've been running chainsaws for over twenty years, everything Stihl makes up to 064, including two 051's. Last fall I got my first saw with a decompression valve. I tried it one time when it was new, and have not used it since. I feel that if you cannot start the saw you should not be running it.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

johncinquo

maybe it is my imagination, but it seems like when I use the decomp button it takes 4-6 pulls, and when I dont use it it takes 3-4 pulls.  I only have the two saws with it, and have only had those a short time but it seems both run that way.  046 and 066.   JB
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

Frickman

johncinquo,

It's not your imagination, it does take more pulls to start a saw with the decompression valve on. I think of the decompression valve as gaining leverage. The pull is easier, but it takes more to start the saw. Also, the length of rope you pull out every time increases. Its just like adding a pipe to the end of a wrench. It requires less effort but you must move the handle further. I've never liked a decompression valve on a saw. I've found that a good saw requires two to four cranks first thing in the morning, and one or two short ones the rest of the day. If it takes more than that buy another saw. I start my saw dozens of times a day in the woods, and never got tired just from cranking it. However, I have worn myself out using it. My new MS460 has one, but I would rather it not. Like I put in my post above, if you are not strong enough to start a saw, you are not strong enough to run it.

Frickman
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Sawyerfortyish

I don't use the decompression button on any saw except my 084 I have one 066 with a button and one 066  without. I think the more you use them they wear and start leaking and you lose some compression over time

SawInIt CA

During the day I turn the saw off with the decomp valve, then I can start it with a single pul;l the rest of the day with out messing with the on off switch. Not a big deal but the decomp is in a  great spot so it is more convenient.
Stihl 460

Larry

Couple of years ago I got into a discussion with the Husky factory rep over the decompression valve on my 350.  Told him I never used it as I thought it was to small a saw to have one.  I got a lecture to always use it because it was a lot easier on the rope and parts in the starter that engage the crank.  So ok I started using it  -- wondering if the parts that engage the motor are cheaper or lighter on a saw with the valve?

Another thought is on approved OSHA starting methods.  The only approved way to start a saw is between your legs or on the ground.  No "drop starting" allowed.  Could this have figured in to the decompression valves on the smaller saws?
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

inspectorwoody

I just purchased a brand new 044 with a 28" bar and I love it. It has the decompression valve. The only complaint I have is with the new saftey style chains....They put that new piece on them to prevent kick back etc. Hard to get used to.

Larry

I have only run a couple of the safety chains but never could tell much difference in cutting speed between them and standard Oregon 72-LG.  The safety chains didn't last to long because they can't be filed as much as standard chain.

If you want to see your 044 stand up and cut try some 72-CK square chisel chain.  Not available in our part of the country so you would have to mail order it.  It is VERY hard to learn how to sharpen correctly and the files are expensive.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Thank You Sponsors!