iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

I love my freezer

Started by ohsoloco, January 30, 2008, 02:47:03 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

ohsoloco

On Monday night I was watching a program that mentioned rhubarb pie.  I love rhubarb pie, and immediately got a hankering for it, but knew there was nothing I could do about it then.  Well, yesterday I had the day off, so I went and rummaged through the freezer until I found a few sealed bags of rhubarb   8)

The crust turned out great (I use butter flavored crisco), and it made a tasty, VERY tart pie.  I just love a tart rhubarb pie  :)

moosehunter

We used to live in town. 1/2 mile from the store. If we forgot something we jsut went and got it.
Now that we live out in the sticks I really appreciate the freezer.

I like rubarb too!
"And the days that I keep my gratitude
Higher than my expectations
Well, I have really good days".    Ray Wylie Hubbard

sawguy21

Rhubarb is good mixed with berries in pie, raspberry is my favourite. They take some of the tartness out and are not overly sweet. Mmmmm.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

SwampDonkey

I have a patch of strawberry rhubard out back of the house. The neighbors planted about 1/4 acre of the stuff last year. There must be a good market for it. I have not eaten rhubard for a while or in a pie, doesn't settle to good on the stomach.  ::)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

ohsoloco

I've had rhubarb pie with strawberries in it, but I can't say I've ever had it with any other kind of berry.  I know that strawberries and rhubarb make a really nice wine.  I made some that turned out kinda sweet, and it was like drinking a glass of pie   ;D   I'll have to try it with some black raspberries this year, they grow everywhere around my place.  Gonna hafta freeze some of those this summer too.  I hear they freeze well, just spread 'em out on a cookie sheet until frozen, and then bag. 

I like to munch on raw rhubarb, too. 'Course, I've been known to eat lemons too  :D

Wouldn't rhubarb technically be considered a vegetable  ???  :P

Coon

We slice and freeze baking apples every year.  My wife likes to make rhubarb apple crisp.  Mmmmm good.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Dave Shepard

rhubarb food6 rhubarb sauce food6 food6 rhubarb pie food6 food6 food6

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Coon

rhubarb white lightning!!  ooooohh yeah!  I oz and you're good to go. :o  Atleast you'd keep warm on this inside. :D  It's great trust me.   Nope. I'm not a redneck, not me. Never. :D

Don_Papenburg

I like rhu pie but my wife wants to put too much sugar in it .   I think that it needs to be tart.   I like rhubarb sause smothering  panckes
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

limbrat

Some freezers frighten me like my old aunt and uncles. These folks are in there 80's and they have this huge chest freezer that is almost full. The food in there represents a large investment but only if its good and to be good it needs to be rotated and used. They both get dinner the mid day meal from meals on wheels (from the local council on ageing). They cook supper every weekend at most twice a week. And i know that neither one of them can reach to the bottom of that thing. I would bet that there are peas in there that i picked when i was a kid. Since i mentioned it to them they wont let me clean it out.
I love my freezer too but its a upright. I have never experanced rhubarb but wouldnt it be a green? I guess it would fall into the same group as celery being the stalk and all.
ben

WDH

I would love to try rhubarb.  Maybe someone can bring a pie to the Pig Roast ;D.  Then, I could have some 8).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

beenthere

limbrat
I say leave the stuff in the freezer...that way they put stuff in the top and take it from the top.
If you clean it out, then they'll have to reach into the bottom to try to get it out..

What they don't get in the bottom, doesn't hurt anything, as I see it. Some day, nature will take its course...

But you do as you want...I remember trying to get Mom to clean out old things in the refrig...found out real fast that was her territory...stay da heck out... :D :D :D
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Furby

When we cleaned out my Great Grandma's place back in the early 90's I belive it was, we found canned goods on the shelves in the basement pantry 20+ years old. ::)

SwampDonkey

I've got stuff in the basement too I keep tossing. My mother bought a case of pears and mushrooms about 7 years ago and it went down there. I don't eat canned fruit or vegetables very often. Rarely in fact. I do eat frozen raspberries and strawberries, but from the garden. I bought one of those bags of frozen fruit in the store, and I swear it tasted like the plastic it was frozen in. It wasn't no cheap brand either. Gross!! WDH you can get rhubarb in the frozen section, might even see some fiddleheads. ;D  :o

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Coon

Now I think it's time to ask which rhubarb you people are talking about.  There is the green rhubarb and the red rhubarb.  They both have different pucker factors and are used a bit differently than each other.  If I remember correctly the green is alot more sour than the red.

PS  NEVER eat a rhubarb leaf.  You will get very sick from it.

ohsoloco

I find both red and green rhubarb out in my parents' patch.  I always thought it had to do with how mature it was.  This stuff was definitely up there on the pucker factor, when Denise took her first bite it looked like her first taste of sour patch kids  :D

SwampDonkey

No there are different varieties. We always used the strawberry rhubarb variety with the red stalks. There is a variety with green stalks only. If your cutting a green stalk and it has fine hairs on it, your in the burdock patch.  ;D :D :D :D :D

tim1234

WDH,

Don't they have rhubarb in GA?

I make a mean rhubarb pie and crust from scratch.  None of that sore bought trans-fat infested stuff.  If we make it to the roast I'll have to see if I can make a pie and cucumber salsa.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

thecfarm

WDH,I have bunches of the old fashioned rhubarb.I will gladly send some to you in the spring.But you have to remind me.I will forget for sure.Now this is a puker factor to the max.This is not the the strawberry type for the sisies.When we was selling rhubarb we could not give the old stuff away.People would buy all we had of the strawberry kind.I will not get rid of the strawbeery rhubarb.This offer is only for the old fashion kind.The stalks get big too.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

SwampDonkey

Quote from: thecfarm on February 01, 2008, 08:48:54 PM
WDH,I have bunches of the old fashioned rhubarb........This is not the the strawberry type for the sisies. When we was selling rhubarb we could not give the old stuff away.People would buy all we had of the strawberry kind.I will not get rid of the strawbeery rhubarb.This offer is only for the old fashion kind.

;D :D :D WDH, you gotta be broken in before you get the good stuff.  ;)

WDH

Tim,

I have never seen it here. 

Thecfarm,

you sure that stuff is legal ;D.

SD,

I am not sure that I have been broken in before :).
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

You know, like a baseball mitt.  ;)

thecfarm

Maybe that's why the helicopters fly low over head.   :D
When I first met my wife she had a big chest freezer.I got sick of looking for a bag of peas in there "somewheres".I went out and bought a bunch of plastic containers about the size that 4-1 gallon of milk comes in.Everything got sorted.Vegies,meat,bread etc had it's own box.Much easier to move around the crates and know I did not miss it. We have a upright now.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

ohsoloco

I just got a call this past Friday that my beef is getting sent to the butcher this week  :)  Actually, only 1/4 of it is mine...I split a half with a buddy of mine.  The last time I got a quarter my freezer was almost empty, and that beef filled it right up.  It's less than 6 cubic feet, but it didn't cost me a dime, it was my grandmother's.  Well, it's been limping along alright, but if anything gets too close to the top, it thaws out, and it's got to be completely frozen going in.  No adjustable thermostat on it  ::)   

Well, that freezer was well over half full, so I had no other option than to go and buy a new one this weekend.  12.9 cubic foot chest freezer, and in addition to the two baskets, it also has adjustable dividers in the bottom for separating things.  There's lots of room in there now, I even cleaned out some soup bones yesterday and made some beef & vegetable soup.  Nothin' like coming in from sawing wood and smelling stock simmering on the stove.

I'll be eating steak again real soon  8)

It's going to be a constant battle fighting the urge to use that thing as a workbench (i.e. a place to put stuff)   :-\

Thank You Sponsors!