iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wood-Mizer CBN Sharpener Avaiable Now. Go to our sponsor page for details.

Started by sparks, January 30, 2008, 12:40:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

sparks

\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

musikwerke

John

WH_Conley

Bill

Gilman

Sparks,
Could you post a link to the CBN sharpener?  I can't find the webpage.

Thanks
WM LT70, WM 40 Super, WM  '89 40HD
Cat throwing champion 1996, 1997, 1999. (retired)

LeeB

'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sparks

Sorry guys but there will be no retro fits to convert the other style sharpeners. If a guy wants CBN technology he will have to purchase the new sharpener.   Thanks all.
\"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves.\" Abraham Lincoln

Bibbyman

Here is a link to a post in the Sponser's section where there are all kinds of links to the video on the Wood-Mizer web site.

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,29582.0.html
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

york

Albert

AusLJW

Hello
I have had a Woodmizer CBN sharpener for over 2 years.  How is it that this machine has been available in Australia for this long and not in the US- That's a question to Woodmizer.
The machine is good.  Takes out a lot of human error as the profile of the blade is more or less fixed. However, you need different CBN wheels for different blades so the thing is pretty much restricted to WM blades.  The wheels are not that cheap.
It is not cooled by water but by oil.  I was given a trade name and ID for the appropriate oil but could not find it locally.  Kept getting a lot of very blank looks at the local suppliers.  In the end I contacted a large oil companies help desk and got some good information- Its a Pharmacutical oil.  I was still having problems getting onto a supplier.  One guy said it was very similar to baby oil and I should, if desperate, find a brothel and see if I could buy from them.  Can you imagine what they would be thinking- what does that bloke want with 5 gallons of baby oil- the mind boggles.
In the end got hold of 20 litres of Caltax Pharma 15 (I think) and didn't even have to go to a brothel

Best regards from Australia

musikwerke

Up until now, Wood-Mizer didn't offer the CBN sharpener in the USA because they offered their Re-Sharp service here instead.  Thanks to many inquiries and posts on The Forestry Forum I think we helped make it happen.  :) 
Suffolk Machinery is coming out with a CBN sharpener this Spring also.  It will be interesting to see if the their wheels fit the Wood-Mizer sharpener so that folks who like Timberwolf blades can sharpen them on the same machine.  A 5 gallon jug of the oil from Wood-Mizer is $75.00 and the CBN wheels are $199.95.
John

WH_Conley

Bill

kderby

Perhaps this will take some of the pressure off Re-Sharp.  My turn around time is regularly over three weeks.  That means more blades in inventory as sharp blades and dull blades cycle through.  I have three re-sharp boxes in the cycle now and may have to add a fourth.

The new machine will pay for it self and the turn around time will become my choice.  No more wondering if the blades are going to come this week or next, or next.  No more shipping cost either, I am convincing my self as I type. :D :D :D

KD 

rewimmer

I replied to two post recently here on the CBN wheels. All you have to do is a Google search on "CBN wheels". Get a couple of the companies to quote you on a CBN wheel with the exact profile as you are using now and the same arbor hole. Stick it on your grinder and use a little 10W hyd. oil or kerosene for lub. The big orange company did not invent this technology so don't let them snow you.
"You CAN use a CBN wheel on your existing grinder".
Hudson and Cook can have CBN wheels made to the same profile as their oxide wheels. Then they could offer them to customers for their existing grinders.
As stated before I was grinding cutting tools 20 years ago with CBN wheels. I used them on surface grinders, tool and cutter grinders,internal grinders, etc.
Seek and ye shall find.
Robert in Virginia

pineywoods

Quote from: rewimmer on February 01, 2008, 06:47:05 PM

"You CAN use a CBN wheel on your existing grinder".

Robert in Virginia

All it would take would be a different cam and a little creative fabrication for an oil pump. The grinder wheel motor might be a little on the wimpy side tho.  I would think water soluble cutting oil would work. I use it in my regular woodmizer sharpener instead of just water.  No rusty blades.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

logwalker

Rewimmer, There are several reasons in my book why Woodmizer would not offer cbn wheels to fit existing sharpeners. But the last time I checked we still lived in the good ol' USA and Woodmizer was still a private enterprise. If they choose not to make a product available to the public it is their business to do so. Can you show me the logic behind stating that "the big orange company is trying to snow us"

They provide a great product and excellent service to those of us that choose to use it. If you don't make that choice than good for you. In my mind this kind of dialog takes away from the spirit of this forum.  One of the reasons that you are able to use this forum is because companies like Woodmizer and many others see the value of these information exchanges. The post that you made would certainly make those companies question whether it made good business sense to continue with their support.

Nobody is questioning your abilitiy to retrofit a WM or Cooks sharpener with cbn technology. If you are so convinced that it is a great idea why not have some made at a quantity discount and make them available to the other members. I would like to see what you come up with and would likely take advantage of you experience in the field.

Have a Great Day,           Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

zopi

add to that that WM is the ONLY company that I have seen that eagerly follows the innovations of
it's equipment users...and actually listens to it's customers...examples..the board return guides on the lt70 and
the Bibby's-got-back backstops..both I believe from this forum..

ok..off topic i know..but true nontheless..

the thing that will probably stop me from eventually getting a CBN is the price..and the price of the wheels..little spensive for me..

besides, I don't really mind Dressing wheels..and it looks like there might be some good used vitreolic (sp?) sharpeners coming on the market.. ;D
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

jesse

AusLJW

I have had one for 2 years and sharpened a lot of blades and its has not seemed to show any signs of wear.  To my mind they are a one off expense.  If I want to use 4 degree blades instead of 9 degree blades I have to just spend the money once.  Over in Australia we don't have the benefit of resharp service so if you are going to try new blade profiles you have got to consider the outlay on sharpening set up (Or use the blade once).

Regards

rewimmer

Hello logwalker,
Thank you for responding to my comments. The big orange company is a first class organization and has the best marketing program in the industry. I have used the orange machines in the past and they cut very good lumber. In fact my feed barn is built with lumber that I cut on one of their machines. My soul purpose in posting all my responses was to hopefully get some of the sawyers to visit some of the CBN companies sights that custom make the wheels. It would answer a lot of the questions they were asking on the forum.  I know this is new to a lot of sawyers and sometimes like myself we learn through repetition. So I just kept posting until I rattled a few chains and apparently got some attention on the subject. However these guys do deserve to realize they can retro fit their machines for a few hundred bucks and not have to buy a new machine. Yes, and they should check the rigidity of their grinder before purchasing a wheel. The big orange company does have the right to market their products as they wish as I have the wright to express myself. I am building a proto type stake sharpening machine and if I decide to manufacture it for resale, they will be available to Americans also.
I am a veteran and my country comes first.
Robert in Virginia

farmerdoug

I beleive that Sparks meant that the CBN wheels they have can not be retroefitted to their old grinders.  The dressed wheel grinder grinds the profile of the tooth as it moves forward.  The CBN wheel grinder plunges into a stationary blade and grinds the whole tooth profile at once.  So the CBN wheel that Woodmizer uses is as wide as the tooth spacing(ie7/8inch), where the dressed wheels are thinner.  Now you can get thinner CBN wheels just like the dressed wheel but it will not be from Woodmizer.  I think if you tried to use the Woodmizer CBN wheel on the regular grinder it would grind all of the teeth off. :o
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

AusLJW

Its a combination of cam and grinding wheel profile that produces you a given blade profile.  You can get custom CBN wheels made up but for a one off you will probably pay a premium.  I think Dino saw sharpeners can be equiped with a CBN wheel that does a sweep type grind i.e. face, gullet back.  The WM does the whole profile in one hit.  The WM CBN set up puts a lot of oil on the blade to stop you bluing the tips.  Other sharpeners seem to grind dry.

I think a good development would be for company such as Suffolk to produce a cam and CBN wheel for the Woodmizer CBN sharpener to suit Timberwolf blades, Oh yes, and sell them outside the US

Regards from Australia

shopteacher

I can't seem to find the CBN machine price anywhere on the WM site.  Anyone know what they cost?  Is there a listing on the site with the prices?
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

LOGDOG

gmmills

Let me clear up some of the speculation. The new CBN grinder is nothing more than a  standard later revision WM sharpener with a CBN retro-fit kit bolted on to it. I've seen a kit while still in the box.  I got to inspect all the parts prior to their installation. All simple bolt ons. The parts that are different and need to be exchanged are new Cam and longer Push Finger. Put on a different wheel adapter on the motor shaft. CBN Wheel of course. Oil tubes and oil application block which directs to oil toward the wheel on the front leading edge prior to contacting the blade. A new blade wiper assembly that contacts both sides of the blade to direct the oil back into the pan. Also the obvious sheet metal guards.

I am really pleased that the CBN units are now available. I just smiled when a read the posts on the pending release and all the replies waiting anxiously.  I have been waiting a long time for this. I happen to be fortunate enough to see the CBN grinder back in the fall of 2001. Just happened to be a the right place at the right time.
Custom sawing full-time since 2000. 
WM LT70D62 Remote with Accuset
Sawing since 1995

JRC

I was at WM Indy Friday afternoon to pick up some blades and parts and was shown the new brochure for the CBN grinder, there will also be a comercial version available and a comercial computerized setter available. I think I was told they would be in the neighborhood of $6000 each.You could do custom sharpening with these. Also the other interesting thing I saw was, a wireless remote that was used on an LT70, I did not see it operating but did see the hand held remote,with a neck strap and was told that they tried it up to 150' with success, I didn't ask if it would be available on other models or not, but it would be nice not to be tied to one spot while operating the saw.

John

Thank You Sponsors!