iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Viruses and Junk

Started by Faron, January 30, 2008, 12:19:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Faron

Is anyone having trouble with a bunch of viruses ,tracking cookies, or spyware lately?  I downloaded Open Office the other day.  I was looking at a film clip from a link in a thread here one evening, and got a message that Norton 360 was intercepting something.  Since the 25th, Norton has detected 13 or 14 viruses and stuff like that.  Could something have come in through the Open Office, or the film clip?  At the same time I began to have problems with my wireless router freezing up.  I would have to unplug it and restart it, and It would work for a while and then freeze up again.  I finally got it to hold long enough to update the Norton this morning and ran the scan three times. The last time it found no problems, and the router and computer is working fine.  I have run scan several times since Sunday, and most times it detects and fixes something.  Any ideas?  Think I have got it cleared up?
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Ianab

It wont be Open Office (as long as you downloaded it from a legit mirror). Likewise for the Youtube, if someone had hacked that to distribute malware it would have made the news big time.

I'm guessing you picked up some sort of new trojan program from someplace that was quietly downloading other components to do different things. Norton was finding those, but didn't recognise the new malware that was causing it all. Hopefully with it's updates it has found the original source of the problems.

Personal opinion - Norton 360 affects some machines worse than a many viruses do  ::)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

tonich

Never can be sure, since you might be messed up with rootkits

I assume you run Windows, so do as follows* (the whole procedure):

1. Turn off System Restore - Control Panel->System->System Restore->Turn off System Restore on all drives

2. Install and scan under Safe Mode with at least 2 of the following 4 programs. Update virus definitions upon install!:
a) AdAware SE Personal
b) SpyBot- Search&Destroy
c) CounterSpy (trial, full functional for 15 days)  
d) SpySweeper  - (trial, full functional for 15 days)

Installing the above programs, make sure you have their resident modules not active or turned off, as well as those resident modules of the previous installed Antivirus and Antispy software.  

3. Under Safe Mode scan with:
a) DrWeb CureIt
b) AVG Anti- Spyware (Update virus definitions upon install)

4. Clean the trash  - ATF Cleaner

5. Restart in Normal Mode and scan online with the following online scanners:
a) F-Secure Online Scanner  
b) Panda ActiveScan
c) BitDefender Online Virus Scanner

6. Uninstall all the above programs from the Control Panel->Add/Remove programs! You can install your favorite AV software now

7. Turn on System Restore and create a new Restore Point - start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore

If it appears you still have some problem with you computer, let me know!

SwampDonkey

I've never had troubles for a very long time and never a Virus infection. I use Norman, not Nortan. And I have a couple spyware detection programs. In your browser, see what cookies are hitching a ride and block ones that don't look good. You can check their URL and see. Then you can block them.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

sawguy21

I periodically delete any cookies I don't recognize then log on to the sites as needed. Firefox just notified me of an incoming but it does not seem to have gotten through, no problems yet although AdAware SE found something it did not like.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

rebocardo

This topic reminds me, I cant wait to buy a Mac  :D

Jeff

I haven't had any issues for quite some time. My copy of open office is quite new, downloaded last week. No problems there.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

beenthere

rebocardo

Going to a Mac is like getting rid of ones automobile and just taking the train.... ::) ::) ::) :) :)

(just my thought tho...enjoy your Mac when you get it) :)
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

I wouldn't say that about the Macintosh, it's operating system is probably more elegant than Windows. The only thing I would be concerned with is the available software. I don't think GIS software is available on the Mac and database programs might be lacking. They are kind of one in the same. I suppose you could emulate windows on the Mac, then might as well have a less expensive PC.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Dave Shepard

I have been trying to pick an operating system for a new computer, and each one has its ups and downs. PC machines are cheap, but you are forced to buy Vista, which is a memory hogging farce, from what I hear. Macs are kind of in there own little world, which is ok, if you want to limit yourself to the Mac programs. Linux is stuck in the middle as far as programs and drivers for many applications. I have been tempted to leave the Evil Empire (windows) for the Dark Side (Mac), but don't have the money to do it. The computer I am using right now my sister built last week. She scrounged a CD/DVD drive and a power supply, and got a mother board and case off the internet (new) for $50. I am hoping that Steve Jobs will come along in his death star and engage Bill Gates in an epic battle, and that when the smoke clears, Linux will rise to the top.  ;D Hey, I can dream, right?

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Faron

Ladies and Gentlemen, on a good day I can find the on/off button on these things.   ::)  Beyond that, and anything can happen.  I do believe this problem may be solved, though.  Everything has acted pretty normal today.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

WH_Conley

Bill

Quartlow

Quote from: tonich on January 30, 2008, 01:50:13 PM
Never can be sure, since you might be messed up with root kit

I assume you run Windows, so do as follows* (the whole procedure):

1. Turn off System Restore - Control Panel->System->System Restore->Turn off System Restore on all drives

2. Install and scan under Safe Mode with at least 2 of the following 4 programs. Update virus definitions upon install!:
a) AdAware SE Personal
b) SpyBot- Search&Destroy
c) CounterSpy (trial, full functional for 15 days)   
d) SpySweeper  - (trial, full functional for 15 days)

Installing the above programs, make sure you have their resident modules not active or turned off, as well as those resident modules of the previous installed Antivirus and Antispy software.   

3. Under Safe Mode scan with:
a) DrWeb CureIt
b) AVG Anti- Spyware (Update virus definitions upon install)

4. Clean the trash  - ATF Cleaner

5. Restart in Normal Mode and scan online with the following online scanners:
a) F-Secure Online Scanner 
b) Panda ActiveScan
c) BitDefender Online Virus Scanner

6. Uninstall all the above programs from the Control Panel->Add/Remove programs! You can install you favorite AV software.

7. Turn on System Restore and create a new Restore Point - start->all programs->accessories->system tools->system restore

If it appears you still have some problem with you computer, let me know!

Install Linux

Fixed that for you  :D :D Just kidding
But unless you run some software for work that you absolutely have to have why stay with windows?
I did run into that problem with wanting to run Google sketchup. You can do one of two things
Dual boot Windows and Linux. Or run windows as a virtual machine, which is what I chose to do to run Sketchup. The nice part about a VM is, once you have it installed you copy the your vm file to a backup. IF something bad happens it takes all of about a minute to delete it restore your backup and your backup and running.

Best software move I ever made

Currently running, amd 1400 1 gig of memory, Mandriva 2008, with Innotek Virtual box to run win XP
Wifes computer is an hp 1200 with 768 meg of memory, Ubuntu 7.10
File and print server is an old pentium 3 866 with 256 megs Ubuntu 7.10

You can download either of these systems and run them as a live CD to try them out,

I'm sure some one will ask, It's a new boiler design
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

sgtmaconga

i loaded a program that we use at the university for this problem. we use DeepFreeze on all the lab computers and i bought a copy for my home.

when loaded it freezes your hard drive and loads a mirror copy when you boot up your puter. unless you unlock your hard drive nothing can be saved to it by anything. we save all of our work to flash drives and the hard drive remains clean.

I took some of the college puter classes and the company told us to try to break the system it was loaded on to. i thought they were crazy. we tried for 3 weeks to trash the system with no luck.

when i bought my new system i ordered it and have not had the first virus or attack at all.

here is the link http://www.faronics.com/html/deepfreeze.asp
Measure twice cut once

tonich

Quote from: Quartlow on January 30, 2008, 11:32:04 PM
Install Linux

I’m sorry, but if you have plenty of valuable information and a lot of installed programs, which you cannot afford to lose you don’t go this way… Either if you don’t want to/are unable to reinstall Windows/format HDD.
Live distribution might be an option, but not the best one though.

The above guide is the best way to clean/speed up the current Windows installation. The reason is the newest viruses generate random processes, attaching their own code to them and you have to figure out the rootkits.
I know it takes time and efforts, but it’s worth trying ;)

PS. All listed above software is FREE or TRIAL, but full functional.

Faron

Thanks, guys.  I am going to watch what is going on a bit before make any changes.  I'll likely try the Tonich method when I have some time to work on it.

Quartlow

Quote from: tonich on January 31, 2008, 07:24:48 AM
Quote from: Quartlow on January 30, 2008, 11:32:04 PM
Install Linux

I'm sorry, but if you have plenty of valuable information and a lot of installed programs, which you cannot afford to lose you don't go this way... Either if you don't want to/are unable to reinstall Windows/format HDD.
Live distribution might be an option, but not the best one though.

I did about March of 06. I ran a dual boot system for a couple months till I realized I could live without windows for the most part.
Ubuntu will will partition an existing single partition on a hard drive, install itself and set up for dual boot. With out effecting your existing Windows install or doing anything to your current information.

Live CD's are a very good option. I used one just a couple weeks ago to recover some files from a windows machine the refused to boot.

Quote from: tonich
The above guide is the best way to clean/speed up the current Windows installation. The reason is the newest viruses generate random processes, attaching their own code to them and you have to figure out the rootkits.
I know it takes time and efforts, but it's worth trying ;)

PS. All listed above software is FREE or TRIAL, but full functional.

I'm sure it is. It's also only necessary if you use windows. You may very well get everything. Then again chance are you won't.
I've never seen a machine that was infected cleaned up enough to run as fast and smooth as a fresh install of windows.

If you use your computer for surfing the net, email, and photos. Install Linux and be done with it. I haven't touched the wifes computer in months. in fact the last time I did touch it was to upgrade it to the latest version of Ubuntu. It runs as fast and smooth as the day I did the upgrade.
I no longer worry about getting a virus in an email attachment. I know when I sit down I will be able to use my computer, not have to fix it.
All of my Linux software is free, as in free beer   :D

If I offended you in my previous post I apologize.  People need to know there is more than one option out there.  If just one person reads this and at least takes a look at Linux with an open mind it was worth it. You can have the best of both of worlds.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Fla._Deadheader

I have 2 boot systems on this computer. I default to xp, but, have 2000 standing by.

Could I download Ubuntu, and use that on this computer, without changing anything ???  What about setting it as default ???  How does one do that ???
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

tonich

Quote from: Quartlow on January 31, 2008, 08:48:00 AM
If I offended you in my previous post I apologize. 

No, that’s OK.  :)

BTW, I was able to find another tutorial here: http://www.msfn.org/board/Guide-Removing-spyware-viruses-t65071.html
I don’t think it is a good idea to count on Nod32 Antivirus in this particular case. This information is over 2 years old, thus things have changed a lot by that time. Anyway, this is just an option.
HTH

Paschale

Quote from: rebocardo on January 30, 2008, 05:13:19 PM
This topic reminds me, I cant wait to buy a Mac  :D

I bought a Mac a little over a year ago.  I'm not a huge fan of this either.  I think no matter what route you go, you'll have nuisances and inconveniences.  My mac can get really bogged down and slow sometimes too, and there have been more times with this computer that I've wanted to throw it out the nearest window than I ever had with a PC.  Of course, I know when I make the switch back to a PC I'll have  frustrations again too, so I always seem to view it as picking your poison. 

I get frustrated with the problem with incompatibility with Macs and the rest of the computer world.  For your most basic functions, Macs work just fine, but let's face it:  it's a PC world.  I've run into very cool aps that I'd like to use on my Mac and been forced not to use them.  Also, for all the hype and talk about how amazing Macs are for photos and multimedia, I'll take a PC anytime, anywhere.  For me, there's no question that PC's are more user friendly, which smacks in the face of what Macs promote about their own products. 

There are some things that I've grown quite accustomed to on a Mac and that I'll miss when I go back to a PC, but all in all, I regret making the switch.  You may not get viruses and spyware on Macs (yet!), but that doesn't mean that they can't get bogged down and slow as well.

For being a lifetime PC user, I know how to deal with and fix problems on a PC.  With a Mac, quite honestly, I couldn't tell you any of the things that tonich gave out.  I don't know of a "step by step" solution to speed up a Mac, though I'm sure it's out there.  Because of there being less Macs, I think finding guides and documents like that are harder to find online because I've looked for them, and I've also asked other Mac users.  The main answer I get from people is "shut it down and restart--that always fixes the problem for me."

My next computer will be a PC, and I won't go back to Macs.  I'll take the inconvenience of spyware and potential viruses (that can be protected) over a Mac that has given me more frustration than any PC ever did.

OK, I'll get off of my soapbox now.   ::)
Y'all can pronounce it "puh-SKOLLY"

Faron

Tonich, install those programs before beginniing the process, or do I need to download and install them  as I need them?  See I told you I am out of my element with these machines.

Quartlow

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 31, 2008, 09:26:45 AM

I have 2 boot systems on this computer. I default to xp, but, have 2000 standing by.

Could I download Ubuntu, and use that on this computer, without changing anything ???  What about setting it as default ???  How does one do that ???

Good question, I've never tried to triple boot a machine. Ubuntu uses GRUB menu at boot. It sets itself as the first choice by default
Wheres TNlogger when you need him, he's a Linux user also.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

tonich

Quote from: Faron on January 31, 2008, 10:17:26 AM
Tonich, install those programs before beginniing the process, or do I need to download and install them  as I need them?  See I told you I am out of my element with these machines.

I’d suggest to go by sections – download, install and run the software under point 2, than under point 3, than under point 4…
As for point 5, the process is straight forward - download, install and run the online scanners one by one. The process is very user-friendly.
Make sure you do things just as been described!
Take your time and you will be surprised what’s been laying down in there! ;)

Remember: You do not need program’s resident modules, you only need to scan once with every application, updated upon install!

Faron

resident modules- meaning I don't need to keep it on my computer, just need to install it and use it, then un install it? 

tonich

Resident module - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Resident_module
Usually, AV software is built by two sections - a Resident module and a Scan module. Obviously, we will use Scan modules for our purposes, but more important is to have Resident module not active/turned off, while installing/scanning. This is simply done by Stop/Exit option on the program in the System Tray – Right Bottom corner of the desktop, where you have working applications listed.

Right click on your current AV tray icon to figure out any Stop/Exit option!

Thank You Sponsors!