iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Wind Wind and More Wind

Started by faronskid, January 29, 2008, 10:01:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

faronskid

We've had some wicked weather here in the Hoosier State tonight.  A cold front moved through bringing straight line wind with it.  There have been a lot of reports of damage around here.  Two people were killed when their house trailer overturned.  Several houses damaged or destroyed.  My husband's cousin lost his roof.  The temperature at 6pm was 56 degrees and now it is well below freezing.  My house has no power tonight and my kids school has been canceled for tomorrow because of road closures and such.  I was just wondering if any of our forumites had any damage.  If any of you are in the path of this storm tonight watch out it's a doozie.   
5 rugrats = no dull moments here

Bibbyman

We had 56 this morning.  By noon the front was coming through and it dropped to 30.  By dark it was down to 22 with a wind chill of 4 and snowing. 

Right now its 13 with a wind chill of -4.  We've had high winds and really high gusts but I've not seen any damage.

Could be worse,  I got an e-mail for ElectricAl about dark. He said it was 1 degree with a wind chill of -27.  Snowing so hard he couldn't see the shop 200' away. :-X
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

Gary_C

The past week has been a wild ride here in Minnesota. A week ago we were at the tail end of a cold spell with -25 temps. Then it warmed up to about freezing for a few days untill yesterday. When I left the woods at dark it was 40 degrees and on the way home it rained so hard that I had the wipers on high speed to see the road. By this morning it was snowing and blowing so hard that both I-35 and I-90 were closed because of blizzard conditions and accidents. TOnight it is supposed to get down to -20 degrees again.

But there is good news too. By this weekend it should be back up in the 20's again plus I got my truck washed.  8)
Never take life seriously. Nobody gets out alive anyway.

Warbird

-23 here.  S'posed to get down to -40 or -45 tonight.  Small amount of wind earlier in the day.  Any wind at those temps is amazingly biting.  It can reach a point where you don't feel how biting it is, tho...  that's when it is extremely dangerous.

ScottAR

Sunday night had freezing fog and 20's.  Monday mid 30's and rain.  Tuesday rain in the
morning, followed by sunshine and 65 degrees then the wind picked up.  Blew off a bunch of roofs and blew over some eighteen wheelers.  Temp dropped like a stone to
20's and still windy.   Typical January weather for around here.   The weird is normal. 
Scott
"There is much that I need to do, even more that I want to do, and even less that I can do."
[Magicman]

Faron

Looks like Faronskid got power restored around 3 this morning. I saw crews working about then over there.  Those guys sure have a tough job.
A couple of trees toppled across the road below her house into the power lines at the edge of my field.  My brother checked it out, and told me we couldn't do anything as far as clearing the road  because it was still in the power lines.  So, I stayed in the house and out of the wind.  I am pretty sure there will be damage to fences  and other tree related damage to fix this morning when the sun comes up.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

tim1234

We've got that wind right now. 

I've got to go hunting for the trash cans....it was bad enough when they were full, they emptied them an hour ago and now they are no where to be seen.

Fortunately no damage.  Some of the highest winds I can remember though.

Faronskid,

Glad you are ok and you got your power back.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

Don P

I would guess we're rocking about 50 mph now, haven't gotten much sleep since 2 or 3 when it really built up here. I think I'll take the chainsaw to work, its a few miles through Nat'l forest to get in.

Lud

It got loud last night here in Ohio and we're down 30+ degrees.  But I don't see anything worse than a barn door flappin' where it sprung the catch.  And still blowin' and droppin'.

We always say in Ohio ,  if you don't like the weather, wait five minutes........

Hope everyone's OK. eh eh
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

faronskid

We did get our power back on but it wasn't until about 5 am.   It got pretty cold in the house last night.  I spent most of the night wrapping the babies back up in blankets, They were probably sweating by the time the power came back on because I had so many covers on them. :D  I have to go pull the swingset, playhouse and my wicker furniture out of the woods now.  Have a great day everybody.
5 rugrats = no dull moments here

Bro. Noble

We got by in pretty good shape.  While putting the stoopid cows in last evening,  I dept finding pieces of tar paper.  Checked the roofs and sure enougy the well house had lost part of it's roll roofing.  I've got the shingles to replace it and have been planning on doing that for the past couple of years :D :D  Had covers blown off of lumber stacks and water buckets blown from here to yonder.

Waiting for someone to report that it was so windy at their place that their old hen laid the same egg three times :D :D
milking and logging and sawing and milking

OneWithWood

Big winds at our place too.  I am really glad I took down the big poplar next to the house Sunday.  It had been struck by lightning last fall and was dead.  During the last high winds a number of branches came down prompting me to put it higher on the priority list.  Glad I did.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Warbird

Glad to see no reports of anybody getting hurt.  Y'all stay safe.

Corley5

It's still pretty wicked here.  All schools in N Mich are closed today and lots of agencies and businesses are too.  The State Police, and MDOT were advising people to stay off the roads to the point that the Emergency Broadcast System was even activated.  Last I heard winter storm warnings were on until 5PM today.  No woods work today
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

JV

We had high wind and heavy rain last night.  While out and about this morning, I didn't notice at lot of damage.  Mostly tree limbs down.  Heavy winds during the last year have pruned a lot of trees.  Going through NWS storm reports this morning, I saw that Indiana had a least two fatalites storm related.  Many reports of 60 mph winds last night.  Makes you wonder what the upcoming spring "storm season" will be like. 
John

'05 Wood-mizer LT40HDG28-RA, Lucas 613 Swing Mill, Stihl 170, 260 Pro, 660, 084 w/56" Alaskan Mill, 041 w/Lewis Winch, Case 970 w/Farmi Winch, Case 850 Crawler Loader, Case 90XT Skidloader, Logrite tools

Faron

My fences on this farm are two and three strands of electrified barbed wire.  In checking things out this morning, I noticed the cover was off my electric fence charger.  On closer inspection I noticed much of the wiring and components inside were toasted. Looks like when that power line went down it initially hit my fence in the back of the eighty acres and fed 7500 or whatever to my electric fence. :o  I have go go back and see what the damage is back there.  Glad I wasn't going through the gate when that happened. :o  I'll post some pics when I get a chance.
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

Part_Timer

We're missing a couple of shingles this morning and katie said here chair cushon is missing, I bet it is somewhere over by Quartlows with the way the wind was whipping up.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Roxie

Tell Katie that I found her cushion.  The hen was sittin on it when she laid the same egg for the third time.  I'll jest throw it in the wash for ya.   :)
Say when

pigman

My neighbor lost the whole roof on a big barn. I didn't have any damage here, but when I went to feed a little corn to the cows noticed three plastic linners of the feed bunks were missing. Found two about half mile away. I couldn't find the other one, it probably is in Pa. covering up a prolific egg laying chicken.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

okmulch

its been windy here for three days now. Monday we had 60 mph gusts. temp was warm but now on wednesday it is getting cooler with chance of snow.

its no fun grinding dry cedar trees with wind like that the mulch ends up in the next county. :)
Rotochopper b66 track, #2 Rotochopper b66 track, woodmizer lt40, CAT 277b, CAT 268b, CAT 287c, CAT 277c, CAT299d2, CAT299d3, CAT 299d3, Volvo 70e,volvo70f, volvo90f

Hi-Country Orange

earlier this week here in Park co., Colorado the winds were clocked @ 109 m.p.h., but no damage because there is nothing out here :) :o

katie-did

Roxie; No need to wash it the hen can have it. I need new ones anyhow!

Was that a custom ARS egg? (All Ready Scrambled) :D
Part Timer's Boss & CFO smiley_angel01_halo

Roxie

Say when

Quartlow

I saw that cushion on its way by. man was that thing moving!!  :D
I'm lucky we don't get a lot of wind down here. The hill blocks most of it.
Breezewood 24 inch mill
Have a wooderful day!!

Faron

The power surge came through my fence charger and tripped a breaker in the main box.  I had my freezer on that circuit, as well as a Dewalt 14.4 battery charger.  It apparently toasted the charger, but spared the freezer. 8)  I would have bet the freezer was burned up when I saw what had happened.

Thank You Sponsors!