iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Using Black Locust

Started by DR_Buck, January 29, 2008, 08:28:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

DR_Buck

I have a chance to pick up some free 15" -18"  10 ft Black Locust logs.    Anyone ever mill and process Black Locust for anything other than fence posts?    Is it good for any kind of woodworking ?   
Been there, done that.   Never got caught [/b]
Retired and not doing much anymore and still not getting caught

Don_Papenburg

Yep .    It works like ash  the one I had hade a pinkish red tint but faded out to a tan .  It would make a project wood .
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Dan_Shade

I have a few hundred board feet sawn up.  I think it's very pretty wood. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

sprucebunny

I sawed some to use as porch decking but haven't used it yet.

Nice grain but smells funny sawing it.
Most of the logs I got had internal cracks and decay.
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

raycon

Definitely.
I've run fair bit through the molder for decking T&G and bull nose. Have it in my green house for flooring.
Most goes to wooden boat projects. Steams well,bends well, holds a fastener well, better choice than white oak higher rot resistance. I'd not buy a log by scale though. You never know whats inside. Even if it looks perfect. Theres a company in VT that focuses on making pegs out of black locust trunnels and timber frame. The logs has minimal sapwood so you can open up a 2" face drop down 1" and get a peg right there if running parallel to the bark. The bark is tough holds debris well. The stuff smells .Makes great firewood burns hot. I can't get enough of it. I have a interesting pdf on it if you want I'll email it off to you.
Lot of stuff..

rfalk

Raycon...could you post the link to that pdf? I would like to learn more. I also have access to some Black Locust that we plan on using for some park benches and other outdoor structures.
Wood engineer, woodworker, chainsaw miller, bandsaw miller, all around lover of wood.
Stihl 026, 361, 076 AV

raycon

Lot of stuff..

Raider

I had a friend that I cut some for a pole barn posts. Had a piece that I turned on the lathe for a bowl. Hard, slight green color,did fad a bit, but not much. The smell to me was like great northern beans when you soak them over night. Not bad at first but before one gets the bowl, done enought ;D Got to get batt. for the dig. camera and I will post a picture ::)  Raider  PS: Raycon that setworks that I got is great 8) 8)

raycon

Glad to hear that. I was hoping it worked out.

I did not finish the last post I'd have to email the file its to large to upload I think less than
1mb but still larger than the max picture file size. Neat article covers the origin of the name shipmast and a few applications.

Lot of stuff..

solidwoods

Qtr. saw it, its beautiful.
But- its not an easy wood to dry, so - straight to a kiln or proven air dry shed and go slow .
jim
Ret. US Army
Kasco II B Band mill
Woodworking since 83
I mill & kiln dry lumber, build custom furniture, artworks, flooring, etc.
If you mill, you'll be interested in some of my work in one way or another.
We ship from our showroom.
N. Central TN.

rfalk

If you can email pdf to me I would appreciate it. thanks, bob

rfalk@wisc.edu
Wood engineer, woodworker, chainsaw miller, bandsaw miller, all around lover of wood.
Stihl 026, 361, 076 AV

Raider

Got some pictures of the Blk Locust bowl, in the Gallery. Has a blond color to the wood. Very heavy type wood.  Raider

thedeeredude

I think it works very nice.  It smells like cat pee to me.  Most of our locust hollows out in the center before they get real big.  I think locust hand planes nicely too.

Handy Andy

I have a neighbor who cut the stuff out of his pasture, had it milled and made flooring for a new house from it.  He showed it to me when he had it finished, and it is a very interesting looking floor.  I want to get some.  Jim
My name's Jim, I like wood.

Thank You Sponsors!