iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Mobile Dimension price

Started by deeker, January 29, 2008, 02:16:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

deeker

I own a Norwood LM2000 and would not even consider trading or selling it.  However, some logs are too big and have to be split via chainsaw (880 stihl) which gets a bit old fast!!!!  I am cutting a lot of timbers 12"x12"x16' and the logs are big to say the least.  I don't have a tractor or loader yet.  The mobile dimension in question is 20 (or so) years old.  Electric motors, one blade is 24" dia. and my questions....how big (expensive) of a generator do I need to run a 440v motor????  His asking price is a bit high at $3k.  What do you guys think???  I will get more details about the mobile saw when I can reach him tonight.  Not much information from me yet....sorry....Ideas???

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts
To those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.  On an empty C-ration box.  Khe-Sahn 1968

york

Hey Deeker,why not,just get a bigger Bandmill??
Albert

deeker

York, great idea!!!!!  Wow!!!!  Wish I would have thought of that!!!!  How many bandmills can cut a five and six foot diameter logs??????  That don't cost several hundred thousand?????

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts
To those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.  On an empty C-ration box.  Khe-Sahn 1968

york

WOW,you do cut big stuff....26 inch is big for old me..
Albert

deeker

With the Norwood we can handle up to a 31" log to 27' in length.  Most of the huge stuff is cut where it fell.  Need a saw to take it down to bite size.  Have thought about a logosol M7 but still would require a chainsaw.  Spoiled by my bandsaw!
What kind of mill do you have?  My dad, who will be 90 in june is my help.  My two sons, one is active duty Marine, just back from Iraq and the other works full time with violent handi capped adults.  So, it is my dad and I.  Not a lot of handling equipment except for trailers, winches and 4 wheelers.  That is the big reason for looking into the mobile dimension mill.  Lots of wood lost due to kerf.  About the same as my chainsaw mill, but one hell of a lot faster.

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts

york

deeker,my mill is a timber harvester-old mill-sn# 194....made many changes to this mill....TH went broke-closed the doors last oct.

i am looking at other mills,am a young 69-thats good your dad still able to work...Bert
Albert

oakiemac

Deeker, the price dont sound too bad to me if it is in good condition. At that price you can afford to do a little work on it as well.
To size the generator, you need to know the FLA rating of the motor or the horse power of the motors.
You might also be surprised on the kerf issue. I usually run over the scale on most logs and certainly on the smaller ones.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

Nate Surveyor

You can change motors ya know!

But, somehow, I don't think it will handle 12" x 12" cuts.

N
I know less than I used to.

oakiemac

I over looked the 12"x12" cut part. The best you can do with an MD is 12x8 and that is hard to do unless you are cuttin soft wood.
Mobile Demension sawmill, Bobcat 873 loader, 3 dry kilns and a long "to do" list.

deeker

As far as the 12x12, I can do that on the bandmill.  Just want to reduce the logs so I can move them without the much needed equipment.  Trim 'em down to size then on to the norwood.  I will not be able to talk to the owner for a day or two.  But I have a better idea of what to ask now. Thanks guys.

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts

DanG

Quote from: deeker on January 29, 2008, 03:18:31 PM
  How many bandmills can cut a five and six foot diameter logs?????? 
Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts

Why for do ya want to mess with logs that size, anyway?  I'm the proud owner of a 60"x16' oak log that has been sitting in my Buddy's field for a year and a half.  That sucker weighs 16,000 pounds and I don't have anything to handle it with.  Now a MD will cut it, if you configure it right, but it won't produce 12x12 cants, unless you just want one out of the middle.  That would entail a bunch of turning, and you ain't gonna do that with 4 wheelers and farm tractors.  Best bet is to find some reasonably sized logs, IMHO.  All that being said, $3k is a great deal on that MD.  I'd snap it up in a heartbeat. ;)
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

sawmill_john

The mill in question, electric that is, really don't lend them selves to the style of cutting you think you want, electrics are generally used as a stationary mill and the logs brought to the mill, I can't even remember making and that mount to the log (board & block method of cutting)
I think a 45 KW genset would power that vintage mill, most mills came with a delay starter set up so as not to over load the system on start up.  Dan is right in the mark if the mill is in good shape it's worth buying, the trouble with electrics are the not many people want them because of having to power them with 3 phase.

Nate Surveyor

Dan G is Right on.

Can I have one too?

N

StorminN

I'm confused... which blade on the Mobile Dimension is 24"?? Does the seller have some sort of custom setup?

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

deeker

StorminN,  I don't know much about the saw.  I have seen it one time.  Not familiar with it, the one blade I measured is 24".  Don't know if it is custom or not.  I have watched the video provided by the Mfg.  I am NOT even remotely excited about electric motors.  Might need a generator (huge and expensive) to run it.  Learning about 2 and 3 phase motors.  The reason for even looking into buying it is to reduce the huge logs down to smaller size.  Much of the smaller wood is used in light construction and furniture.  Don't want to waste a lot of wood and time while inhailing chainsaw smoke to get the logs onto my norwood.  Your in Sequim?  I have friends in Graham Wa.  Have only been there once so far.  Rains at least a thousand days a year!!!!! ::) ::) ::) :)  Aside from that wet crap, it is a beautiful area!!

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts

Nate Surveyor

Quote from: deeker on January 31, 2008, 01:53:07 PM
The reason for even looking into buying it is to reduce the huge logs down to smaller size.  Much of the smaller wood is used in light construction and furniture. 

OK, so the size 12" x 12" is to make cants, to later resaw. So, would 8" x 12" work?

Somehow, I think IF it has a 24" blade, you would have to allow for the HUB, which may further reduce the size to around 10". This would make your cants 8" x 10". Certainly worth knowing before you buy. Maybe it is not the original blade.

Anyway, I think taking the mill to the log is a good idea if you have HUGE timber, where you spend alot of time at ONE log, getting loads of cut wood out of it.

Otherwise, maybe some sort of method of retrieving the logs may be more useful to you. At least that was what I concluded for myself.

Ya know, we need to figure out a way to make and print money, pay back our national debt, and then return to GOLD and SILVER, and fix the economy, so we can afford the equipment we want/need! :D :D :D

:)

Nate

Steve

The maximum size a Model 128 can cut is 12" in the vertical dimension and 8" in the horizontal. This is a best case, everything working perfectly size capability.
Steve
Hawaiian Hardwoods Direct
www.curlykoa.com

KnotBB

Ideas to consider:
Have a swing saw come in and break down the log until it's small enough for your mill.
Buy a swing saw
Buy a dedicated slaber (Lucas/Peterson?)
Talk to MD about what it would take to convert it over to gas power.

SteveMc
To forget one's purpose is the commonest form of stupidity.

StorminN

The normal blade sizes for the Mobile Dimension are 30" for the main blade and 17" or so for the larger edger blade... so if one of the blades on this saw is 24", it is something different... which blade is it, the vertical or horizontal?

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

DanG

Converting an electric MD to gas isn't practical, since the electric uses seperate motors for the main and edgers.  The interconnect between the two isn't provided for.  It would be much cheaper to just find a gas one and buy it instead.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

abatol

I'm ashamed to say I didnt read every post in this thread  but when a 90 yr old man is out handling logs .. I  GOTTA SAY RESPECT DUE.  If that mobile dim. is in working condition 3k sounds alright but I must admit I dont know how you could get 400 w easily  maybe a 40k st genhead pto to a 60 hp tractor you'd have to do some creative wiring
It doesn't matter what shape the board is as long as it's a rectangle. Smiley   Stolen Quote Thanks TOM

deeker

Thanks for your input guys!!!! 8) 8)  I called Mobile Dimension, and talked to the owner/manufacturer.  The mill was made in 1977, and the seller is the third owner.  The last parts he bought for the blade was in 1997.  The mill has been on vacation since.  The electric motors won't change out to convert to gas engines, and the generator needed is huge.  The only way I might buy it is if I can get a real cheap generator.  Not very likely.  Going to check with a surplus dealer about 80 miles away.  Having my doubts.  Might be better off finding a gas powered mill,  will keep all posted.  As for my soon to be 90yr old dad....had to threaten him with the cops...to get him to go to the VA hospital for asthma treatments before it turns into pneumonia.   Stubborn old boy is better now, still not happy with me though.  He is young enough he will get over it!!!!  Oh, the pic is of him holding a canada goose I shot at the mill a year ago.  I had a broken leg at the time and my retrievers were at my home.  He was there to offer a hand. 8)

bandmiller2

Deeker, don't give up on a large genset,the bigger they are the cheaper they are.Most used large gens. came out of hospitals, police,fire they are to large to intrest joe homeowner and their intended users always install new.Now if you can find one before they ship it off to africa.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

jesse

what about using a phase converter to run or does it have to be portable

solodan

Quote from: deeker on January 29, 2008, 06:24:14 PM

With the Norwood we can handle up to a 31" log to 27' in length.  Most of the huge stuff is cut where it fell.  Need a saw to take it down to bite size.  Have thought about a logosol M7 but still would require a chainsaw.  Spoiled by my bandsaw!

Are you are looking at breaking down the cants and them moving them to the band saw to resaw?  ??? This has been discussed before, and may boost production in a permanent set up with log and cant moving equipment, however if you need to setup at the log, it is much more productive to setup with a mill that can handle what you are trying to accomplish. :) A MD,swinger or even a chainsawmill can all break down a large log, but unless I was using a chainsaw, it would be faster to just setup and cut to final dimension. I could saw a 5 or 6 foot log into 1x in shorter time than I could break it down and handle the cants. ??? Than I would still have to resaw and handle again. Log and Lumber handeling are the big time killers for this industry, especially on the small scale. That is the reason swing mills and dimension mills shine on the large logs.  I think some guys love their band mills too much. :-\ They are great for what they are intended to do , but if you find yourself in a situation where you need another saw than maybe you should leave the other one home that day.  I cut lots of logs over 30" sometimes much larger, so a swinger was right for me. The small logs under 16" aren't that attractive to me, but there are plenty out there, and though I have means to cut them I cringe every time someone calls for some 1x12's . It would be easier if I had a band saw. In a perfect world we would have a saw that could do it all, but I even find myself turning to the Alaskan more often than I would like. :)

Thank You Sponsors!