iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Is site destiny?

Started by Tarm, May 09, 2003, 07:03:41 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tarm

I had a forester out to my northern hardwoods today. As we walked around doing a site exam I commented that most of the yellow birch trees were of very poor quality. I indicated that I would like to get some yellow birch regeneration going. His response was, "If all of your yellow birch is junk now, all future yellow birch will likely be junk also." This stand has been well managed for over 40 years and I'm sure it has not been high-graded. There are some very nice basswood, hard maple, bitternut hickory, and white ash trees. Is it possible that some good sites just won't grow certain species? Is site destiny?  

Ron Wenrich

Two factors come into play.  Site and genetics.  Genetics get continually lowered through high grading where poor quality trees are left for seed stock.

But, site dictates how well a tree will grow.  You can't put a tree that grows well on a wet site, and expect it to do well on a dry site.  Too much stress is put on the tree.  They wil be slow growing and susceptible to both insects and disease.

Sometimes you are just too far north or too far south in a particular tree's range.  Again, stress plays into how well the tree will survive.

There are a lot of sites in the NE that should be converted over to pine.  But, hardwood prices always comes into play.  People figure that they can grow veneer on some of these sites and make out better.  It doesn't happen..Then you have a stand of slow growing, low grade hardwoods.

To help out your management decisions, you should get a soils map from your county agent.  
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Thank You Sponsors!