iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Whatsit?

Started by Larry, January 27, 2008, 06:58:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Larry

At first I thought I was witnessing the birth of a Furby...but than I realized a real Furby would never allow a picture. ;D

Maybe 8" in diameter and growing on a white oak.  Thought about poking a hole in it to see what the inside is like...who knows it might be good to eat. ???
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Texas Ranger

Most tree fruiting fungus are edible, but who would want to? zzzz_smiley yikes_smiley
The Ranger, home of Texas Forestry

metalspinner

According to the Audubon Field Guide, that looks like a "Bearded Tooth."  Also called a "Hedgehog Mushroom."  This says it is "choice" as an edible but only when it is young.  It sours as it ages.  Arkansas is within its range and it especially likes Oak, Maple and Beech trees.

Of course, Google it to find more detailed descriptions
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

WDH

Looks like one half of an Orangutan's bottom :)
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

pigman

Definitely a baby Furby :o. At the top I can see the eyes. ;D  On one of his road trips our Furby must have left some spores on the tree.
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

SwampDonkey

What a cool fungus. You guys are always wanting to eat stuff.  ;D :D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

HOOF-ER

I think it looks more like the snout of an octapus. ;D
Home built swing mill, 27hp Kawasaki

asy

You guys must have DanG funny octopussies, if'n they have SNOUTS...

Maybe Swampy's talking about an elephapus? Octophant? dunno...

Am confuddled.

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Phorester

Wonder how fast that rabbit was running when he hit the tree.

WDH

That rabbit must have been confuddled ;D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

DWM II

Good thing it didnt grow down here, it woulda got eatin. :)
Stewardship Counts!

OneWithWood

Larry after an exhaustive search - well ok I asked my wife  :)

It would appear the little furby is a Hericium erinaceus.  It usually grows an beech, oak and maple.
One With Wood
LT40HDG25, Woodmizer DH4000 Kiln

Thank You Sponsors!