iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Lumber scale

Started by biziedizie, May 09, 2003, 05:37:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

biziedizie

Wood-Mizer sent me my log rule and lumber scale and it's pretty slick. One thing that I was wondering about is that I notice that there's an Ontario rule. Does anyone know what that's about? Is this a rule that's used or is it just for Ontario?
 Thanks!

Steve

Mark M

I tink dat Ontario rule is da one where you have to put an "eh?" after each sentence. ;)

I grew up on the border and the only radio station we got was CFOB from Fort Francis and the only decent TV we got was CBC from Winnipeg. When I moved to the big city (Fargo) people always wanted to know where da heck I was from. I thought everyone knew about the Ontario rule.  :D

Mark

biziedizie

Ok now you have me lost Mark. :D Is there a log rule that only Ontario uses?

Steve

Mark M

Hi Bizie,

You must be talking about the "other" Ontario rule. Check out this link: http://www.countyofperth.on.ca/pdffiles/treeby1.pdf
I have not heard of this rule but it mentions it in this document.

Here is another one: http://www.ont-woodlot-assoc.org/media/guide.pdf

Mark

biziedizie

Thanks Mark, still wondering why Ontario has their own log rule though. Has anyone else heard of this?

Steve

Ron Wenrich

Seems like everyone in Canada had their own scale.  I did a websearch and came up with this book on Canadian log scales:  http://www.shantymanart.com/bookorder.html

There is also Quebec log scale, New Brunswick log scale, British Columbia log scale.  More scales than you can shake a stick at.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Tim

The Ontario log rule is the standard imperial rule use to measure logs here Steve. Mind you that if agreeable between both parties, any rule can be used when buying and selling logs.
The Ontario Government has gone to this ass backwards method of scaling in metric. I bought a couple loads of cedar off a crown cut. Near as I can figure, the price of the logs was 1.5x what it should have been due to the scaling method. Basically, they are confused about their own system, as if that is any real surprise.
The Ontario log rule was developed quite a few years ago to measure volume of roundwood. It reflects the recovery technology and markets of the time. Top and length are measured and defect penalties are assigned in a percentage. The dimensions are recorded to a matrix and when the run is finished calculated to determine run volume. ie: If you have a 12" top and the log has a 10% sweep over the length, the top is recorded as a 10". If you have a seam up half the length of the log on one face a 12% penalty is assigned... and so on.
We normally buy on the Ontario rule and have a licenced third party scaler come onto the yard to scale for us. I find that it reduces the potential for conflict between us and the supplier on volume determination.
Eastern White Cedar Shingles

Thank You Sponsors!