iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anti Seize Stuff

Started by Nate Surveyor, January 27, 2008, 06:42:17 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

On Keris Peterson/Brown's video, from Peterson Sawmills, she recommends using anti-seize on the blade bolt threads. Well, I had not ever heard of the stuff, and don't use it. And, the blade bolts are real hard to remove, when they have been hot, and through alot of pine sap, and oak juice. Corrosion seems to start fast. I have garbled up the allen wrench fitting on the bolts, and now I can say, LISTEN to that accented voice!

Anyway, I found some anti seize (I can't say it, or type it like she says it, with that accent!) at a local welder's supply.

I am a fan of this stuff now!

Anti Seize. Better than chicken soup for the bolts!

:)

Nate
I know less than I used to.

york

Anti Seize,has been around for many years...use on you lug nuts too.....
Albert

Tim L

I can't walk within ten feet of the stuff and somehow I have it all over me !
Do the best you can and don't look back

gizmodust

I've been using the stuff for years.  Even gotten to the point of using it on sparkplugs.  Just keep it off the end.  If it threads together with the possibility of being replaced, anti seize it.
Always liked wood with alot of character

Dave Shepard

Tim L, I have the same problem. I use it all the time. You can find it at any auto parts store.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

LeeB

I truely believe you could paint a whole house with one small can. :D :D
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

stonebroke

Neverseize. the original. Been using it for thirty years. On a farm it is invaluable. If you use it on every bolt you take apart after awhile everything is much easier to fix. Also use it on shafts.

Stonebroke

Dave Shepard

A friend of mine has his own proprietary formula of never seize, I call it Never Seize Ultra. :D

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

ErikC

It's good stuff. I keep a can in my mill toolbox, but you don't have to use it every single time you loosen a bolt or nut. I guess a little goes a long way.
  Nate, I have damaged a few of those allen heads on the blade bolts even with never-sieze. They can be obtained at a hardware store, you don't have to order them from Peterson. I keep a few around to make life easier. ;)
  Dave-whats the magic formula? :)
Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Jeff

Gotta love that anti-seize. Its the same color as the front sweat bands in the hard hats we used to give to the newbies at the sawmill. Just a wee little smear along the sweat band before they get to work, and by noon they look like the tin man.  ;D

I dont worry about getting stuff apart since I discovered Rust Reaper. At least Iron parts.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

ErikC, I don't know, it's a secret. ;)

Dave

Percy

We hadda blind dog with the same name(never see's) :D
GOLDEN RULE : The guy with the gold, makes the rules.

LeeB

In the oilfield we use a similar compound for pipe connections called Coppercote. I brought home a 5gal bucket full one time. Used it for nearly 15years till the bucket got smashed. I think I might have used maybe 1/2gal in all that time. Used it on everything. I'm a firm believer in the stuff. Save nuckles, tools, equipment and blood pressure.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

flip

Anti-sieze=never leaves.  'Bout the only stuff that takes it off is a solvent of some type.  Works great but what a mess.
Timberking B-20, Hydraulics make me board quick

Dan_Shade

i busted a tube of that once in my toolbox.  it's still there being smeared around.
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

jason.weir

I love the stuff as well.

From my experience using it reduces the chance you will ever have to remove that bolt again.

If you don't use it, you are guaranteed to have to remove that rusty stuck bolt at 30 below at night in the snow.

If the bolt is aware that you had anti-seize and didn't use it, than it will break off just below the surface.

It is kind of like buying the correct tool after the project is over, it guarantees you won't have to do that project again...

-J
I'm having a cup half empty Monday...

Part_Timer

I like the coppercote stuff LeeB is talking about.  Found a small container at NAPA.  So far I haven't had any problems removing blade bolts at all.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Jim H

I found some at the auto parts store in stick form, like a big chapstick container. Much neater and seems to work well.
2008 LT40HDG28, autoclutch, debarker, stihl 026, 046, ms460 bow, 066, JD 2350 4wd w/245 loader, sawing since '94 fulltime since '98

fencerowphil (Phil L.)

When I was sawing out in Mississippi a while back (some of the time with Radar67),
I had a couple of bolts which had too little anti-s gook on them.  I went to a box
car part store and asked for an impact driver.  Of course, all the clerks could suggest
was an air wrench.  In fact, no one in the place knew what an *impact driver was!

It took over three hours to finally borrow a driver and rig enough adaptors to get
those couple of Peterson bolts off my WPF 10".

Believe me,  I now am very generous with the stuff.  At times I look kind of like the
Tin Man Jeff mentioned - at least my hands did, until I discovered Nitrile gloves.  When
it comes to getting all over your person, a "little dab'll dooya!"

Phil L.                        *P.S.  I did find and purchase an impact driver later.  It is in
                                          my main took kit now everytime I saw, right beside
                                          the anti-sieze compound.  That way I am always reminded
                                          of the consequences of NOT using the compound.
Bi-VacAtional:  Piano tuner and sawyer.  (Use one to take a vacation from the other.) Have two Stihl 090s, one Stihl 075, Echo CS8000, Echo 346,  two Homely-ite 27AVs, Peterson 10" Swingblade Winch Production Frame, 36" and 54"Alaskan mills, and a sore back.

ErikC

I looked in my toolbox today and noyiced I don't actually have never-sieze, it's coppercote. I have a small container similar to one PVC glue comes in. Brush and everything. It's pretty convienient.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Don_Papenburg

The Coppercote that I have used was for gasket sealing . However I do know that you can get neverseize in two flavers  regular (silver) and the new copper.
Frick saw mill  '58   820 John Deere power. Diamond T trucks

Timburr

The copper flavoured anti sieze is reputed to be better for high temperature applications!
Sense is not common

Part_Timer

I'm hoping very much that whom ever had the mill in Africa before the present owners used a lot of the stuff.  A five year old in that humidity with no neverseize= long hours of no fun on a blade change.
Peterson 8" ATS.
The only place success comes before work is in the dictionary.

Trent

Works wonders with lock mechanisms. Just put a nice coat on your keys and your good to go! Usually a second coat is not needed. HA-HA
Can't fish, can't hunt, don't care about sports. Love to build, machine, fabricate.      Trent Williams

dukndog

Don't know if it's been mentioned yet, but "White-out" like you use correcting typo's is also some good stuff as an anti-seize medium. Just brush it on and tighten. It turns chalky when dry. And it can be bought for much less....

DnD
WM LT-15G25 w/PwrFeed, Mahindra 3510, Husky 385xp, Stihl MS261 and a wife who supports my hobby!!

bandmiller2

The origional never seze was used by the old steam power plant engineers, powdered graphite and steam cylinder oil.Mixed up a batch, it even looks and feels the same, makes me wonder about the expensive stuff thats supposed to be in the canned product.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Woodchuck53

Hey guys, being from the south we have another use for the silver colored stuff. If you have had to take the cover off to get to the flywheel of what ever motor you use then next time lightly coat the pick up with it. It will allow the fire to carry thru but not glaze over with rust. Works great on just about anything but trouble with the wife. If your stuck your stuck. Chuck
Case 1030 w/ Ford FEL, NH 3930 w/Ford FEL, Ford 801 backhoe/loader, TMC 4000# forklift, Stihl 090G-60" bar, 039AV, and 038, Corley 52" circle saw, 15" AMT planer Corley edger, F-350 1 ton, Ford 8000, 20' deck for loader and hauling, F-800 40' bucket truck, C60 Chevy 6 yd. dump truck.

Thank You Sponsors!