iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Husqvarna 3120XP

Started by steveST, May 09, 2003, 04:05:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

steveST

I am looking for a good, reliable, long-lasting saw to quarter logs. I am thinking about the Husky 3210XP, but it's $$$. Anyone have it? Worth the coin? Should I look at another big Kahuna also?
Thanks.

KiwiCharlie

G'day stevest,
How big are these logs you want to quarter?  The 3210 is around 120cc (dont know exactly - anyone?) which is a big saw.  Could be a bit of overkill.  Give us some more info on your work.
Cheers
Charlie.
Walk tall and carry a big Stihl.

steveST

Well, I don't have any specific log in mind, but I want to be able to run at least a 30-39" bar on it. I know the 3120 is a REAL beast, but I know I can put enough bar on THAT thing to cut anything.

KiwiCharlie

G'day stevest,
Well for that size bar, the 3120 would certainly be a good choice.  Plenty of power, but yes quite expensive Im sure.  I guess if you are going to be doing a fair bit of work with it, the the outlay would pay off.  Im not sure on the Husky range, but it may be worth seeing if they have a model round the 90cc range that will take that size bar.  Gives you another price range option.
Ive found that its always worth saving a bit more money, and getting the best saw you can.
Cheers
Charlie.

Ron Scott

The 3120XP is a lot of saw at 119 cc and in the $1200.00 range. The smaller 396XP might serve your needs at a little less cost, around $950.00.
~Ron

steveST

Well, I am still scratching my head about the chainsaws...

FACTS:[/b]
3120 is 118.8 CC and weights 22.9 (w/o bar). Cost $950 w/ 36" bar
395 is 93.6cc and weighs 17.4. Cost  $775 w/36" bar

I have enough in my budget to get either one, but do not want to lunk around something too large for my needs. However, I do not want to buy twice.

Anyone using a 3120? Is it too heavy? Thanks.

Rob

Steve,

I had a 3120XP for roughly 6 months and used it probally 3 days ouy of the week felling etc.in my logging operation and I ended up selling the saw because yes it was to heavy to carry around all day with a 28" bar an chain.I dont know exactly what your plans are but some more info may help,after I sold the I purchased a 385XP and use this daily and has tons of power even with a 32" bar an chain.

Rob.

steveST

Rob,
Thanks for the input...I suspected that someone would say that it was too heavy for frequent use.
Since my needs are NOT daily logging, the smaller one will probably do fine.
Thanks again.

Dennis

The 3120 is a powerhouse, no question about it.  The problem lies in the fact that it has a rev limiter.  It only allows about 11,500 rpms.  I would see if you can get your hands on a 394 (now the 395)...look for a good used 394, you will be happier.  The 395 is a good saw, but the carb is too small.  The 385 is a powerhouse, especially when modified.  The modified 385 will easily outcut a stock 3120, and last longer.  The 385 runs about 650usd here (off the top of my head)..modifications cost 250usd...so for 900 you get a fantastic running, more powerful saw with less weight.
Just Log It.

Rob

I have to agree with Dennis on this one as I know for a fact that my modified 385XP out cut my 3120 before I sold it.The 385XP is my favorite saw I would say you may want to consider it also.

Rob.

ladylake

Dennis When a saw is cutting it's not turning anywhere near 11500 rpm more like 8 or 9 thousand. Far  as cutting up logs I'd sure look into a bandsaw mill unless your only doing 1 or 2
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

Dennis

Ladylake...you are correct...when a saw is cutting it isn't usually at 11,500....A stock saw that is rated at 12,500 rpm (unloaded) will cut at about 9600rpm in the cut...that same saw modified will cut at about 11,500 in the cut with a good chain.  My 272 cuts at over 12.5k...granted that is with an expansion chamber and race chain...lol..

Most of our race saws will turn in excess of 15000rpms(unloaded)....the 3120 cuts out at 11.5k...probably cuts at about 8k.....a dog stock....but when built properly can be unbeatable....
Just Log It.

Oregon_Rob

Dennis,
In a milling situation, over the long haul. Which would you think would hold up better the 3120 or the modified 385?

Also, would you drop the 385 out of it's power range when milling big or really hard stuff?
Chainsaw Nerd

Ed_K

Steve, I use a 394 that I bought used for $450. It does the job, but if I have to use it in the woods, I use the skidder to move it  ;D. I agree with Rob & Dennis, buy the 385, and PP it.
 It will cut a rock maple just as well as the 3120. Use high octane gas, as they all get hot trying to split logs  ;).
Ed K
Ed K

KiwiCharlie

G'day Rob,
If your in for the long haul, ie lots of milling I would go for the 3120 over a modified saw.  One of the reasons I got the 090, was its governed to around 8000rpm, so its not working at its limit all the time, but the torque of the sized motor has plenty of grunt to get through the wood.  I dont mind if it takes me a bit longer to get the cut done - it just grunts its way through!!  Nothing stops it! :o ;D  It just goes slower.  You really cant go wrong with max (original) horsepower when milling with a chainsaw. IMHO.
Cheers
Charlie.

C_Miller

A sawmill is a sawmill, band circle or chainsaw  the more horses the more better my vote would be for the stock 3120.

as an aside we were oooohing and aaaaahing over the 120(I've ridden moterbikes with less displacement) the six foot bar would be nice cause we cut mostly plantation stuff.  Most is planted five foot apart and figgered we could fell two trees at once.

C
CJM

Lorax

I bought a 3120 for my Hudson chainsaw mill in March (powerhead only - no bar).  I paid $775 including shipping from Ajac's equipment in Nanaimo B.C.  I have been very satisified with it so far.
Alan

Biocmp

I only bumped this because I want people to see what the cost of the 395 and 3120 was in 2003. How in the world have these saws gone up nearly 75+% in 11 years?

Al_Smith

Well look at the price of gasoline and good beef .4 dollar a pound hamburger good heavens .

ehp

I bought a 3120 last month for $1405 with 28 inch bar brandnew so they have not went up that much here

tlandrum

my cost is higher than what you paid ed. you got a heck of a deal. it must have been on a shelf a while.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

AdkStihl

How are you doing Terry?
J.Miller Photography

Al_Smith

It's all good comments but something to keep in mind .A 3120 was designed for big wood just like an 880 Stihl .On stuff like that they shine .They and  the big timber saws of a bygone era were designed for such stuff .

It would be like compairing apples to oranges to think these
"Clydesdales " of saws could out run even a good running 70 cc saw in 15" stuff .Besides that they weigh a ton and cost a bloody fortune .

Having said that I have 5 saws over 100cc  ,shelf queens but I am a collector if that means any thing . ;)

tlandrum

Quote from: AdkStihl on August 21, 2014, 11:42:33 PM
How are you doing Terry?
slowly seeing light at the end of the summer mower season tunnel and am getting a few port jobs out and back to the owners. ive got about 30 sitting here to be done right now.
www.wickedworksaw.com
wickedworksaw@gmail.com
Husqvarna and jonsered dealer
chainsaw porting for high production work saws

ehp

Dealer had to get it in , dealer cost on a 3120 is less than what I paid here but the cost is and has gone up, I bought 3120's last summer for $1260

Thank You Sponsors!