iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to Grow a Redwood in the Midwest

Started by Kcwoodbutcher, January 26, 2008, 08:39:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kcwoodbutcher

A past customer of mine from Eureka CA showed up today with a redwood seedling. I had asked her about a year ago that if she went home to Eureka to bring me back a redwood. I had forgotten all about it, but today she called and said she's bringing it over. I know the winters are too cold here and the summers too dry ( KC MO ). She brought one back for herself and said she was going to try to Bonzai it.  Right now I'm clueless as to what my options are, but I do think it would be real cool to have a redwood growing around here. I'd also like to know what type of soil it needs. Any suggestions?
My job is to do everything nobody else felt like doing today

Jeff

My sister has one growing in her living room here in Michigan.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

clearcut

A link describing the ecological characteristics of coast redwood follows. The closer you can match these, the more likely the tree will survive.

Redwoods like deep rich soils, lots of fog, and moderate temperatures.

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/spfo/pubs/silvics_manual/Volume_1/sequoia/sempervirens.htm
Carbon sequestered upon request.

srt

Maybe you should have some of the current presidential candidates carry it around with them.....
"deep rich soil, lots of fog, and nothing too hot or too cold" - There's a lot of that on the campaign trail!

mike_van

srt, you forgot one thing, "ocasional bursts of hot air" - just like the Santa Anna wind! :D
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

LOGDOG

Does the Redwood have a tap root or a root ball?

LOGDOG

clearcut

It's in the link

"Redwoods have no taproots, but lateral roots are large and wide-spreading. Small trees have better-than-average windfirmness, and large redwoods are windfirm under most conditions."
Carbon sequestered upon request.

solodan

I think a Sierra Redwood would do better for you, they like the cold winters and the hot dry summers, but that being said I have seen Coast Redwoods do well here in the Sierra. If you get cool nights in the summer it may do ok. 

Thank You Sponsors!