iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Self done pressure treat???

Started by shinnlinger, January 26, 2008, 10:35:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Hi,

Tom sparked an idea for this in another thread.  What if I had some big ol' air tanks out back and could figure a way to make a tight sealing door.  Could I put some posts in there and pressurize the tank to 125 PSI with some TimBor or similair preservative and make my own "treated" lumber? 

I figure this is a step above the old leave it in a 55 gallon drum of the stuff over night deal, but is it enough of a step to be worth it?

Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

logwalker

To be a big improvement over the open drum you would first pull a strong vacuum. Then the penetration would be really deep. Joe
Let's all be careful out there tomorrow. Lt40hd, 22' Kenworth Flatbed rollback dump, MM45B Mitsubishi trackhoe, Clark5000lb Forklift, Kubota L2850 tractor

semologger

Sounds like you have done treating before logwalker. You would have to have a pretty good barrel to pull a vacum and put pressure on. How much are you wanting to do at one time?

We have a creosote plan that we treat pine post. Family has been in treating for last 25 years.

Fla._Deadheader

A 500 or 1000 gallon Propane tank is perfect. Fashion a door on one end, and lay a track inside for a cart or two.
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Don P

I know some of the borate products are pressure treated but I don't know how. Borates penetrate by diffusion usually, travelling best in very green wood. Thats not the same as most treatment. Fireside log homes used to have a short writeup on their website with some pics of their process, it was a PEG/borate treatment.

woodbowl

There is a cca treatment company close by here. I asked some questions a few years ago and they said they first pull a vacum, flood the tank, apply 100lb pressure and hold for (I forget, seems like 20 min) then they pull another vacum, don't know why unless it is to recover some of the treatment back. 20 min doesn't seem long enough either, could have been longer.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

semologger

The dryer the material the less you have to presurize and vacum the wood. Green wood has to be alot longer. You pull a vacum to get alot of moisture out of the wood. The vacum at the end is to recover some cemical and to make it were you can pull the wood out of the tanks faster. So you dont have to wait for them to drip so long.

You would have to have a good seal on a tank you dont want even a small leak. 100 pound of pressure is alot of presure. Treating chemical aint cheap.

Cheers

StorminN

Hey Dave,

It sounds like you need the autoclave we have sitting out back at Mervin... I think it's 3' in diameter and 14' long... is that big enough? It looks just like a big propane tank, but it's got heaters built into it and the door on one end is fancy. I'll take some pics when I get back from Vegas...

Come get it!

-Norm.
Happiness... is a sharp saw.

Fla._Deadheader

AND, there's yer Vacuum Kiln.  8) 8) 8) 8)

StorminN. How's about a few pics of that tank ???  ;D ;D

Inside, especially.
   First, it is ridiculed;

jpgreen

Thread sounds interesting...  ;D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

StorminN

Yep, I'll get pictures... I won't be back there for a week, though...

-Norm.

sgtmaconga

how much vacum and pressure do you need to reach?
Measure twice cut once

FC_PineKnot

I tried doing something like this myself about a year ago.  Here's the link to the past thread with pics: 

https://forestryforum.com/board/index.php/topic,20117.0.html

I bought a cedar based chemical for the preservative, built a large vat to treat 16 ft. 2x6's, and treated about 80 of them to use as flooring for a gazebo/pavilion I was building.

In my opinion, it wasn't worth the time and expense.  I could have taken the lumber to a treatment plant and probably saved myself a little money and a WHOLE LOT of time and effort!

I did get fairly good results and I'm not knocking the product I used.  It was just too labor intensive to justify trying it again.  I've since figured out my time REALLY is worth something to me!

As for me, next time I'll let the pros with all the proper equipment do the treating!

shinnlinger

On that not,

how does one find a treament CO?  say in New Hampshire/Vermont
Shinnlinger

Tom

Here we can find them by looking in the Yellow pages.

You can find some by asking the companies who sell treated poles.  Many have their own plants and some buy from others.

We got wind of one at the State Prison about 70 miles away by word of mouth.

I guess it takes a little research where ever you live.  :)

A brisk trip through Google makes it look like the Sierra Club is doing a good job of elimenating the processing of treatment of wood in your area.

beenthere

What species would they likely treat in these NE states?  maybe red pine? 

And as Tom surmises, the two states you mention are not likely to have treating plants either.

What species do you want to treat?
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

shinnlinger

Been there,

I have alot of salvage white pine sitting in a pile that is starting to bluestain pretty good and even more (WAY MORE) still in the woods connected to their rootballs from a big winstrom last April.  I was just looked ahead at things I could do with it.  I already got my $$$ worth out of the mill and may even sell it, but If I could work 2 year old pines into somthing worthwile maybe I will hold onto it.
Shinnlinger

WILDSAWMILL

Quote from: semologger on January 26, 2008, 11:52:08 AM
Sounds like you have done treating before logwalker. You would have to have a pretty good barrel to pull a vacum and put pressure on. How much are you wanting to do at one time?

We have a creosote plan that we treat pine post. Family has been in treating for last 25 years.
say were can i find the treatment plant, im in humansville down the road from donavan
Kascosaw2B

StorminN

Hi guys,

Fla_deadheader, the autoclave is currently in our boneyard and not in a spot where I can open it up right now and take pics of the inside... so here are some pics of the outside... like I said before, it's about 30" or 36" in diameter and 14' long. If the stuff in front of it gets moved anytime soon, I'll get some pics of the inside.

-Norm.

abatol

add some propylene glycol with the timbor  :D
It doesn't matter what shape the board is as long as it's a rectangle. Smiley   Stolen Quote Thanks TOM

jpgreen

That thing looks real sci-fi scary..  :D
-95 Wood-Mizer LT40HD 27 Hp Kawasaki water cooled engine-

Fla._Deadheader

Are those creases around the edge of the tank, Norm ???  Doesn't look near thick enough to use for vacuum, if they ARE creases.  ??? :o :o :o
   First, it is ridiculed;

semologger

StorminN

Fla_deadheader,

Those are creases, but they are in the thin sheet metal shroud that surrounds the insulation (maybe 1-1/2" or 2" thick?) which surrounds the inner tank. If you look at the first picture, taken from the door end of the autoclave, you can see where the heavy hinges and clamps weld to the main inner tank and where the silver insulation part sticks up a couple of inches behind them. The inner tank is pretty thick steel. One of these days, I'll get a forklift out there and move the pallets of stuff in front of it and get some better pictures.

-Norm.

Fla._Deadheader

Don't  move all that stuff, just for ME, Norm. I know exactly how them things are built. Just couldn't see how the creases were imposed, on the metal.

Most have a wheel or lever lock, so all clamps work in unison.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!