iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

How to find logs (small)

Started by peter nap, January 26, 2008, 10:11:31 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter nap

I need a slod (SH&* Load) of logs/poles 7" to 10" ..  8 to 9 feet long.
All my trees are too large. Any idea how to start looking for some to cut or a logger that may have cut some?

ErikC

One thing we can do around here is get a pole permit from the USFS. They want some areas thinned and will give out a marked map with the permit. The size you want may be a little big for pole permits, I'm not sure. The forest service is pretty easy about this, unlike other permits from them can be. Maybe what species you want could be mentioned?

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

peter nap

Thanks Eric. I'd like pine but am open to what I can get. I thought about the National Forest but am a good distance from any of it. It may be worth the drive though.

These are going to be for Vertical log siding.

nsmike

Peter, I would call around to the state and consulting foresters in your area to see if they know of some smaller plots of pine that need thinning but are to small to be of intrest to the pulp companies. I know of a grove of pines near my dads old place that wasn't thinned ten years ago because no one thought it was big enough to bring in equiptment.
Mike

peter nap

I may call them Monday Mike. In the meantime I think I've found 150 standing pines they want gone. He said some 60 feet tall. I may well have more than I can use. If so, we'll see how much fire is left in me. smiley_old_guy

WH_Conley

Day late and a dollar short again.  >:( I have a lot full of logs that come closer to you specifications than mine. Oh well, the price of fuel would kill both of us anyway.
Bill

J_T

I got the opposite problem I need big logs White oak and walnut will do for starters ;D
Jim Holloway

peter nap

I wish one of us were a little the other direction. :D

I may have taken a mighty big bite here. I found a total of 110 trees that the fellow wants cut down and hauled away. He hasn't said anything about time yet but he's about 2 hours away.

I have a chevy 2500 diesel, a ten foot trailer, a Dolmar 6500 and a Husky Farm boss. February is going to be a very busy month but I don't feel like I can pass this up.

I expect I can get some time on the new (haven't picked it up yet) mill in March. 8)

zopi

Peter, what part of Va are you in?
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

peter nap

Hanover and the Farm Is in Mecklenburg County

zopi

ah..yer not too far up the road...i used to live in Dahlgren..I blow through hanover occasionally..
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

peter nap

Hanover ain't what it used to be.....Nothing worse than getting popular with yuppies and Soccer Moms.

The less time I spend here, the better I like it. If I recall, your down around Suffolk aren't you?

zopi

Isle of Wight....looked at suffolk...schools sucked...
Got Wood?
LT-15G GO chassis added.
WM sharpener and setter
And lots of junk.

Tom

Mecklenburg county?   Didn't Mr. Peabody's coal train haul them away?

WH_Conley

Hey Tom, I think that was a Western Ky county. Just a letter or two different.
Bill

Thank You Sponsors!