iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Log truck vs log trailer

Started by Mike_M, January 25, 2008, 09:27:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mike_M

I have been kicking around the idea buying a rig that I can load and haul logs with. I was wondering what guys are using in their operations? I've seen the DOT trailers with the loaders and that seems like a real nice way to go. On the other hand maybe a dedicated truck with loader would be better. Most of the material I would be hauling would be short chip wood to the mill and logs for our own use.Would like to hear what others are using. Thanks.

sawguy21

How much wood do you need to move? A trailer might be better for small or infrequent loads, a vehicle is a lot of money tied up. Blue Ox makes some nice setups. If you are moving a lot of wood on a steady basis, a dedicated truck with a loader would be sweet.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

Mike_M

Most of what I would be hauling would be logs around the place. Our property is reforested with Doug-Fir in the 20-30 year range. I would like to be able to take a load of chip wood into the mill on occasion as we start doing some thinning.

a old timberjack

mike, i am going thru the same thoughts as we speek, i log part timea very big expense. i just purchased a old off-road truck with a prentice loader, cheep $$$$$ but there is no extra expensises. just a fee to move to a job with my skidder . i load trailers and flatbed trucks on occasion. cheeper to hire local road trucking is the bottem line........Brandon
H.T. LOGGING and Trucking, llc, GREENE, Rhode Island

shinnlinger

MIke,

I lived in Eugene for 10 years..Go DUcks!

Anywhoo,  I think if you can find an old log truck for not alot of $$ and put ag plates on it for an occasional jaunt to the mill, that might be the way to go.  I doubt those trailers are much cheaper than a truck (maybe some other land owners around you could purchase one together?)  If you have to fully license and insure the truck then the momentum swings to the trailer if you already have a road legal 1 ton or bigger to pull it.

Problem would be, as these east coaster dont understand, finding a cheap log truck that works.  OUt here, you can find a rusted out truck that has relativly low miles and a decent loader, perfect for a woodlot.  In Oregon things dont rust anywhere near as bad (despite all the rain) and there is no state inspection, so these trucks stay in service alot longer, so when they are done, they are ready for scrap.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

woodmills1

I went the dump and trailer route, less insurance and the dump is real handy for firewood, dirt, chips, etc.
James Mills,Lovely wife,collect old tools,vacuuming fool,36 bdft/hr,oak paper cutter,ebonic yooper rapper nauga seller, Blue Ox? its not fast, 2 cat family, LT70,edger, 375 bd ft/hr, we like Bob,free heat,no oil 12 years,big splitter, baked stuffed lobster, still cuttin the logs dere IAM

Stephen Alford

Mike the loader was mounted on the rear for sorting wood at the landing and to work the area behind the truck. A large tool box,vise and overhead light are convient. Because of your location you may not need the modified cab. ;D Stephen
logon

J_T

Got one truck with a Barko 80on it need a 160 at the least  ::) Got one truck with single bunks on it to haul to my mill.Then hire a semi to do most of the hauling as it takes as much fuel to move 4000bf as mine to move 1500bf would take me three trips to his one  ??? Here they haul pulp wood tree length
Jim Holloway

Tillaway

Most folks in Oregon just hire out.  No PUC's, insurance, licensing issues.  Those little tow behind trailers for you pickup are probably a better deal than buying a truck... if you have a niche market.  You might want to scratch a pencil on hauling pulp.  Your GVW would have to remain under 26000 pounds or you will need a CDL.  Figure 8000 lbs. for the pickup and maybe 3000 or so for the trailer and loader that would leave you about 7.5 tons of payload at best.  Pulp prices are usually around $26 a ton although right now it is up around $35 or $40.  A load would be worth between $195 to $300 best case for pulp.  You can get up around 30 tons on a mule train and 26 tons on a long logger.  Figure a regular truck at around $70hr; Self-loader at around $85 with a smaller payload.
Making Tillamook Bay safe for bait; one salmon at a time.

ErikC

The cost of  trucking has sure gone up. But so have the DOT regs, insurance, etc. I have heard talk about regulating emissions stricter, keeping most older trucks off the road. So a lot of people here who don't truck every day have just bought trailers they could pull with 1 ton pickups, and hire out heavier hauls. CA is tougher than some states in these ways, maybe it's not as bad there.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Furby

Trailer needs to stay under 10,001 pounds gross or a CDL is needed.
Using it in a commercial ($) nature, you need commercial plates, DOT #, insurance for commercial use, as well.

Mike_M

Thank everyone for all the input. I think for the time being I will just plan on hiring out the trucking. As Tillaway stated the chip prices are up in the $40 per ton range, so it makes it easier to pay the cost of trucking. I think if I do buy something I will go the trailer route, as I could use it to haul firewood for the Taylor stove, logs for the Woodmizer mill, and other around the farm chores. Those darn trailers sure are expensive, my thought would be to build the trailer and then buy a small loader to put on it. Thanks again.

Thank You Sponsors!