iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

nail prices

Started by woody1, January 25, 2008, 05:27:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

woody1

Just got a note from our nail wholesaler today. The U.S. just put a 30% tarrif on import nails. What a jump. Spent all day jackin up the prices. If you need any nails, grab 'em now.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Tom

You got any USA made Nails? ???

Ron Wenrich

I have a journal that I got in a box of stuff at an auction.  It was taken from 1812 to about 1880.  It seems that nails back in the early part of the 1800s were about 40¢ a pound.  Wages were 50¢ per day, unless you had a team of horses, then it was $2.50.  Those prices held steady for most of the journal, since governments didn't run deficits or run printing presses.

So, the cost of nails is pretty cheap.  Too bad they bend so easily. :D
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

mike_van

Ron, somewhere I read that a families wealth was judged by the number of nails in the front door back then - I can see why now!
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

Tom

They used to burn the house and pick out the nails when they moved west too.  Or so I've heard.

woody1

We were buying USA nails till I went to the wholesaler and saw them repackaging them out of import boxes.
Ron, you are right about nail prices. The way they make them now is alot different then the ole anvil and hammer. We were selling 16d common for .38/# till just a couple years ago.
If you don't want to row, get out of the boat !

Dave Shepard

You can always buy Tremont nails, made on the same machinery for the past century and a half. There somewhere out at the Beantown end of the state. ;)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

DanG

Whatcha bet the USA nails(if you can find them) go up just as much as the imports?
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Dave Shepard

I don't doubt it DanG, can't have the American made stuff cheaper than the import scrapple.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Don P

I've heard that was a popular myth that kept on going Tom, but I only heard that too  :).
Thanks for the heads up Woody, our homeowner said he's going to go get nailed tomorrow.
I used to just throw $500 into the bid for hardware, a man would lose his shirt doing that nowadays.

scsmith42

Woody - thanks for the "heads up"!

Maze nails are US made - they've been in business for 160 years.  I don't recall if they own Tremont of if Tremont owns them - but they're part of the same group.

I've been using their 3.5" PTL nails in my nailgun - top quality (and top price too)!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Dave Shepard

That is interesting Scott. It would be nice to be able to buy some "modern" nails made by that group. As far as I know, the Tremont nails are all machine cut nails, not wire. They have a head that looks a lot like a hand forged nail. I have made hand forged nails before, and I wouldn't want to have to make enough to sheath and shingle a house. :o

Dave

scsmith42

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 26, 2008, 03:45:12 PM
I have made hand forged nails before, and I wouldn't want to have to make enough to sheath and shingle a house. :o

Dave

Amen bro!

Scott
Peterson 10" WPF with 65' of track
Smith - Gallagher dedicated slabber
Tom's 3638D Baker band mill
and a mix of log handling heavy equipment.

Kansas

We build a few skids for a company, and one of our pallet lumber customers that I buy a few nails from called and told me his nails were taking two price jumps-30% tarriff, followed by a 12% rise due to the rise in cost of steel. Hes on the Bostich program, where they supply the nail guns and nails, so hes pretty well locked in. I talked to another pallet maker and he told me the 30% tarriff only applied to china. He seemed to think most nails would get channeled through South Korea to get around the tarriff. I bought a few extra boxes, just to be safe.

Thank You Sponsors!