iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Beats anything I’ve ever held, felt or smelled.

Started by Bibbyman, January 25, 2008, 04:39:39 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bibbyman

It never fails,  we go to town to get what we think would be a pretty common item and end up not finding it anywhere.

We need a new ash bucket.  It's January 25 – not July!  There is probably a 50,000 populations in the county.  We have a Super Wal-Mart and a number of other stores.  We first went to the new Tractor Supply store that opened a couple of months back.  It's in the old K-Mart building so it's of pretty good size.  They had wood stoves and such.  We should have got a clue when there was lawn mowers lined up on the outside of the store.  Got in there and looked all over where we thought an ash bucket would be but couldn't find one. We finally asked a guy.  He took us to an empty shelf.  "Guess we done sent all that stuff back."  I said, "What is this?  Is Tractor Supply owned and ran by Wal-Mart?". 

We left and went to Westlakes Ace Hardware.  We hunted all over. Where they had their wood stoves were now barbeque grills.  To their credit, we did find ash buckets.  But they were on the tip-top shelf in the back and $20.00 ea!  I wasn't going to pay $20 for an ash bucket.

We next tried Orchelins Farm and Home.  They still had their stoves out and had a 30% discount on all remaining stock of stoves and supplies.  Great!  But they were sold out of ash buckets. 

We went across the street to the new local big box store.  We wondered all over.  They had shoved the stoves to the side and were putting out hammocks.  They had a sort of an ash bucket that was more like a 10 gallon trash can.  It was $50.  We didn't need that.  Ask and got the answer, "What we have left is over there."

I get so frustrated at stores that stock at least one season ahead of when the merchandise is needed.   

But sometimes it works to an advantage.  Yesterday while Mary was grocery shopping in Wal-Mart,  I went over to men's wear and found they had Faded Glory flannel shirts on sale for $7.00.  I also found some thermal boot socks that were marked 6 pair for $5.00.
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

submarinesailor

BB, yesterday when I walked thru SEARS to get to the main part of the Manassas mall, I noticed that they have their swim suits out all ready.  I couldn't believe it because it was 22 with the wind blowing.  It was COLD.  But there they were.

Bruce

SAW MILLER

I have the same problem Bibby.I have been using a metal five gallon bucket,which is a rare thing in itself.Today I noticed I could see daylight through the bottom. >:(
   I think I might just make me one out of galvanized sheet metal.
LT 40 woodmizer..Massey ferg.240 walker gyp and a canthook

beenthere

Bruce
Do ya think they may be getting ready to sell suits to those heading off for spring break...it is just a short time from now.... 8)

I too get frustrated with stores, but on the other hand, I was in the local TrueValue hardware yesterday, and their Christmas lights were on the shelf....hmmmm getting a rush on the season??
south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

Bibbyman

We looked at metal buckets while we were in each place.  All were galvanized and I didn't think that was any too cool for an ash bucket.  Plus,  they were also very expensive.  And,  one major feature of an ash bucket is that the bottom is recessed an inch or more – keeping it from directly contacting what you set it on.

Mary shops down at a Mennonite store south of us about once a month.  We'll check there. If I have to pay $20,  I'd rather pay it to them.

Meanwhile, I'll keep looking.  Maybe I'll find one next July.  
Sawing since '94

pigman

I use a  5 gallon plastic oil pail.  If the ashes are hot I have to run real fast and pour out the ashes before the pail melts.  ;D Poor folks gotta do what they gotta do. :)
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

Fla._Deadheader

I'm thinkin the Bibbsters Stove gonna runneth over by July ???  ;D ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Bibbyman

Quote from: Fla._Deadheader on January 25, 2008, 05:15:45 PM

I'm thinkin the Bibbsters Stove gonna runneth over by July ???  ;D ;D

We got one but it's got a few small holes in the bottom.  Safety first!

I may check at my folk's house.  They heated with firewood until about 3 years ago when we put in central heat and air conditioning.   The old wood stove is still in place "just in case" but it's not had a fire built in it since then.  They've probably got one they'll never use again.
Sawing since '94

ely

but bibby, it sure is nice when you can run out and get a christmas tree or haloween costume any day of the year. :D

i am fortunate to live near, or near enough to a small town that has that sort of thing all the time. example i just went in to pick up some 3/4 pvc pipe and walked past a whole isle of the old well bucket for getting water out of the well. and i aint talking about a regular water bucket with a big weight tied to one side so it will tip over and fill up when it gets to the water.

CLL

Bib, you should have yelled sooner, my aunt just gave a couple away, and they were llike new. I'll see if I can get a hold of one, holler at you if I do.
Too much work-not enough pay.

Bibbyman

You know what?  Never underestimate the value of a good nap in the afternoon.  Sometime before of after,  I thought about it and I think I can find a metal gallon paint can lid and pop rivet it over the bottom of the old ash bucket and maybe get 10 more years out of it. 

Now I'll probably have trouble finding a metal gallon paint can lid.  Most paints come in plastic containers now don't they?   :o
Sawing since '94

Tom

Bibbyman!

Why can't you cut out a piece of tin and put in the bottom of the ash bucket that has the holes?  Some dirt in the bottom might seal them too if they aren't too big. 

If you don't have tin, fold up some Auminum Foil and stick it in there. ;D

Tight Tom

Bibbyman

Quote from: Tom on January 25, 2008, 06:22:30 PM
Bibbyman!

Why can't you cut out a piece of tin and put in the bottom of the ash bucket that has the holes?  Some dirt in the bottom might seal them too if they aren't too big. 

If you don't have tin, fold up some Auminum Foil and stick it in there. ;D

Tight Tom

I thought of that but I figue a paint can lid would be just about ready made size.  I should probably put some foil in there until I come up with a fix or replacement.
Sawing since '94

Tom

Well, see there?    If the foil works, and the paint lid works, you won't need a new bucket for a  lot of years. The sides don't wear out too fast.  One of the girls might visit you one of these days and take it home with them when their ash bucket wears out.  :D    .....figuring you won't need it.  :D :D

brdmkr

Last weekend, I went to Home Depot looking for a small wood stove.  Asked an HD employee where to find the wood stoves.  He says 'We don't have anymore.  It's a seasonal item.'.  I reply 'yes, and it's winter!'   :D :D :D :D
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

DanG

You could do like my first ex-wife did when we got our first wood stove.  She got real smart and sucked all the ashes out with her brand new $400 Electrolux vacuum cleaner.  I started smelling something and found smoke coming from the hall closet.  It didn't cause any other damage, but the vac was toast...literally! ::) :D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Frickman

You folks have been talking about stores stocking things a season ahead of time, and let me tell you, it irritates me too. Things may change some in the future though. I recently read an article somewhere about how the big retailers can't figure out why we don't buy swimsuits in January or flannel shirts in July. Some of them were talking about actually stocking things in season again and see how that works.
If you're not broke down once in a while, you're not working hard enough

I'm not a hillbilly. I'm an "Appalachian American"

Retired  Conventional hand-felling logging operation with cable skidder and forwarder, Frick 01 handset sawmill

Pretend farmer when I have the time

Corley5

I was in Home Depot a few days ago and had to look twice when I saw the garden seed display set up  :o ::)  It's over three months til pea planting time here ::) ;D 
  One December a few years back I needed some 9,000 baler twine to bale up the broken bales in the barn.  TSC didn't have any.  They'd sent it all back to a central stocking depot  >:( ::)  My New Holland dealer did.  They had to send someone to the old barn out back but they had some 8) 8)
  I used a 5 gallon metal grease bucket for an ash pail when we still had a stove inside.  I started a fire in it to burn out the old grease and the paint off the outside before I used it.  I think grease still comes in steel buckets  ???
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

footer

Quote from: submarinesailor on January 25, 2008, 04:48:05 PM
BB, yesterday when I walked thru SEARS to get to the main part of the Manassas mall, I noticed that they have their swim suits out all ready.  I couldn't believe it because it was 22 with the wind blowing.  It was COLD.  But there they were.

Bruce

22 degrees? Boy I wish it were that warm here!

footer

Quote from: pigman on January 25, 2008, 05:11:13 PM
I use a  5 gallon plastic oil pail.  If the ashes are hot I have to run real fast and pour out the ashes before the pail melts.  ;D Poor folks gotta do what they gotta do. :)

I did that too, until the bottom fell out on the way up the stairs, and the hot coals fell out on to my carpeted stairs :o

sawguy21

So Bib, how much did you spend in gas and time looking for that DanG bucket ??? ;)
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

pigman

Quote from: footer on January 25, 2008, 10:58:23 PM
Quote from: pigman on January 25, 2008, 05:11:13 PM

I did that too, until the bottom fell out on the way up the stairs, and the hot coals fell out on to my carpeted stairs :o
I guess you did not run fast enough. ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

rbhunter

Try this to vaccum out the ashes.
http://www.lovelessash.com/cheetah2.html

My wife brought one for me about 15 years ago for my birthday because she did not like all of the ash dust when I cleaned out the stove. I smiled and said thankyou and such while thinking how stupid it was. The first few times I used it I got frustrated because it kept plugging up until if figured out to keep the nozzle down on the bottom bricks.

I love it and it is still going and gets used just about everyday during heating season. It can hold several days worth of ashes. It picks up the ashes and leaves the coals so it makes restarting the fire easy if there are any hot coals left at all, jut throw on some wood and open it up. I actually believe it has cut down on the wood I burn as it only picks up the ashes and tiny pieces of coals and leaves the rest. I can even clean out the stove with a fire going if I use welding gloves.

They are expensive but after 15 years I would get another one. It cuts down on the dust caused by cleaning out the ashes. My mom got one for my dad and he really liked it after he got used to it which really suprised me since he grew up burning wood for heat.
"Said the robin to the sparrow, I wonder why it must be, these anxious human beings rush around and worry so?"
"Said the sparrow to the robin, Friend I think it must be, they have no heavenly father, such as cares for you and me."
author unknown. Used to hang above parents fireplace.

Bibbyman

The teen-age son of one of my ex-co-workers took the ashs out of the stove for dad while he was at work.  That shows some good initiative on his part.  But he put them in a cardboard box and set them in the garage.  He got home to the box on fire and the garage full of smoke. He didn't loose the garage or anything but he sure could have!

We were in town anyway.  So we only drove about a mile from the UPS store to the north side of town to Tractor Supply so the extra drive wasn't much. We probably spent at least an hour hitting the stores.

The Loveless ash deal looks interesting.  Like you say,  the initial cost is pretty high.  But after that, how bad does it eat filters?
Sawing since '94

thecfarm

I see the same things in the chains store too.Have to buy it 2 months ahead or when you need it,you can't find it.I have no idea how this all got started.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Thank You Sponsors!