iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Letterpress Printing

Started by musikwerke, January 26, 2008, 08:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

musikwerke

During the Winter months one of my hobbies is working in the basement on my letterpress equipment.  I especially enjoy restoring and operating Ludlow hot-metal slugcasters.  Do any of you folks dabble in the 'black arts'?
John

Dave Shepard

I know nothing about letterpresses. Sounds interesting though. Why don't you tell us about it? :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

musikwerke

Letterpress printing is relief printing where you set the type, metal or wood, by hand (mostly), ink the surface and impress the paper against it.  It's gone the way of chemical photography.  It's an art and it would have become a lost art if some of the yuppie graphic art designers hadn't tired so quickly of computer composition. 
John

Wallys World

I too enjoy letterpress printing. But for now my shop is in to much of a mess to work at it. Before we moved down from New York I had a corner of the basement for my "printshop". I have a Model 31 Linotype (made in Dec. 1941), many small Kelsey Presses, from 1 1/2 inch X 3 inches to 6 inch X 10 inch, type, cuts, and hot foil equipment. I have been in the printing industry for 32 years and boy has it changed. I really would like to set up a "museum" of printing equipment to show school kids of today what it was like to print even the most simplist card. Nothing like todays world of computers.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

Dave Shepard

Sounds interesting. WW, I like museums. ;) :)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

musikwerke

Yes, the printing industry has changed for sure.  About 10 years ago a large printshop owner gave me all his Ludlow equipment and mats.  It nearly broke my heart to see his very late model Intertype go to the junk dealer but I just don't have room for two hot-metal systems.   Shortly after that another very old and established shop closed its doors for good.  Their main product was invoices for businesses and computers just wiped them out.   Now with scrap brass prices at $1.30 + per pound, mats are being dumped at a faster rate than ever.  So much great high quality and relatively simple machinery going to the smelter because people are so lazy and greedy these days and quality seems to be second to everything else.  Sorry, didn't mean for this to become a rant. 

Wallys World:  Nice to hear from you.  A print shop isn't a printshop if you don't have to suck in your gut to move around. Thanks for preserving another Linotype.
John

shopteacher

I sold three or four of those presses. Still got some odds and ends around here someplace,
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

Wallys World

Pictures of letterpress printing equipment.
Goodies for printing with a Kelsey letterpress.
A Kelsey 3 inch X 5 inch (largest paper that it will print) Lettrpress.
Model 31 Linotype ready to be unloaded in our shop building.
My father-in-law looking at the 1941 Model 31 Linotype. This was in the newspaper in Berwick, PA. I brought it to our house in new York and then we moved to Virginia and we brought it with us here.
Wood-Mizer LT28G25, Wood-Mizer EG10 Edger, Wallenstein Timber Talon log loader trailer, Wallenstein GX640 wood splitter, Wallenstein WP835 Fire Wood Processor, Kubota BX 22 TLB, JD 445, JD Gator, Home made arch, Stihl 024 Super, MS251, MS311, MS440 Magnum & MS660.

musikwerke

I can tell that you know how to move machinery if you can get a Linotype up and down off a set of wheels like that.  But isn't that a bit of an overkill for typesetting what you'd print on the smallest Kelsey?  (just kidding of course  :D) 
John

Wallys World

Move machinery.... Ah this is just a little one. It is amazing what rollers, wheels and steel plates can do. As far as overkill, just think of the history that has typeset on it. It was made in December 1941, think of the war news it set. That is why I think it is cool.

SwampDonkey

Cool equipment. I thought is was cool to dabble in GeoPublish or the Newsroom on the C= 64. :D I have an unopened pristine copy of Geopublish in my collection. Takes up a lot less space. ;)
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Thank You Sponsors!