iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Going digital

Started by SwampDonkey, January 23, 2008, 09:13:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

According to the local US TV station, the old analog signal ends on February 17, 2009. Now this news isn't new I know. But they have been talking about this for a number a years. I think the first deadline was 2005. I think this is what killed C-band sales a few years ago and it was a better signal than any of the small dishes they have pushed over the years. Are they going ahead this time for sure? Apparently, you can get a $40 coupon for a digital converter box if you call an 800 # and order by March 31. Have any of the states gone totally digital yet? I don't see any talk of it in Canada. Nothing. I guess it will probably happen and we simply have no TV. Not that it's a bad thing, nothing on it anyway.  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

If you don't have cable, but use an antennae instead, you will need a converter box I hear.

I will need several.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

Jeff

Quote from: WDH on January 23, 2008, 09:20:32 PM
If you don't have cable, but use an antennae instead, you will need a converter box I hear.

I will need several.

You only need a converter if you have a non-digital T.V.  Most Modern T.V.'s are ready for the change and you will never know it occurs.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

SwampDonkey

Mines only a year old, but I only paid $225 for it from the store. I doubt it's digital ready. It is a true flat screen though. RCA model 25T500F

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Nate Surveyor

I have noticed that the weather screens are now CUT OFF, by my old TV. That is, the broadcast is set up for a wider screen TV.

I will have to eventually ante up, and go digital.

Progress.

Any of you ever read "Henry and the Great Society"?

I really loved it.

Nate
I know less than I used to.

SwampDonkey

I heard a weak ago that Canada is going digital in August 2011. They are suppose to be replacing their 400 analog transmitters with just 40 digital ones. That means that the more remote areas won't be getting any CBC-TV. They said that this will allow the providers of internet cable to reach us rural folk. But, I wonder if I will see internet cable out here if I can't get a TV signal. Maybe there will be different transmitters for the internet cable. Now a days you can probably watch TV shows off the web with a fast connection. As it is now my reception is not that great to pick up CBC and CTV and I'm not all that far from the tower. ::)

scgargoyle

One thing bothering me is that I can't seem to find a portable battery operated TV that will receive a digital signal. We use one a lot during power outages, and have taken it with us when we stay in a cabin in SC. So when we get a hurricane, and the power (and cable) is out what are we gonna do? Them 'Jeopardy' questions ain't gonna answer themselves! :D :D :D
Seriously, all the portables only list UHF and VHF. Aren't those going away?
I hope my ship comes in before the dock rots!

leweee

just another beaver with a chainsaw &  it's never so bad that it couldn't get worse.

SwampDonkey

A quote from that site concerning the US going digital: "as of March 1, 2007, all new television sets that can receive signals over-the-air, including pocket-sized portable televisions, must include digital or HDTV tuners so they can receive digital broadcasts."

My TV is probably not Digital since I got it Dec 2006.

Thank You Sponsors!