iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Help, problems with link.

Started by Dana, January 23, 2008, 06:48:12 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dana

Jeff, you are correct, the biodiesel forum still dosent work on the new browser. It is the only site that wont load. All the other .cc sites I tried loaded fine.
Grass-fed beef farmer, part time sawyer

Stump Jumper

About the static in your line have the phone company check the line for static from there end then have them check your connection speed. I was having very slow conn.speed and not finding web sites .The ped down the road had been hit by a snowmobile a year ago knocked the cover off all was fine until this years snow melt and rain .The phone company had to dry the wires then they wrapped them in plastic all is well.
This may or may not help.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

Fla._Deadheader

How about some VOODOO, Dana.  I believe you are using the Bookmark to access the Bio Forum ???

IF you can get to the Bio Forum site, go up to the address bar, and highlight everything from http to eve/. Copy that. Go to another website, THEN, highlight the website in the address bar and backspace.  PASTE the Bioforum URL in the address bar and hit ENTER.

That puts the website IN your address Bar, and constant use keeps it there.

I finally remembered that I had a couple websites not load from bookmarks, wayy back yonder.  Hope THIS helps. ???  ::) ::) ;D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Jeff

I'm convinced the trouble lies in the antiquated operating system. M.E. was buggie at best and was the worst of the windows versions. If its not the computers operating system, then its the ISP.  Firefox would know how to deal with the .cc  so that rules that out as the browser goes.
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dana

Is anyone else using Windows ME version? If so, please go to the above posted link and see if you can connect please.

Fla._Deadheader

Jeff is correct. It does have problems. I upgraded to XP and 2000. Both on this machine.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Radar67

Quote from: Dana on January 29, 2008, 09:28:15 AM
Jeff, you are correct, the biodiesel forum still dosent work on the new browser. It is the only site that wont load. All the other .cc sites I tried loaded fine.

If he can get to all other .cc sites, that suggests the problem lies with the biodeisel server, not his machine or ISP. The server may not have enough bandwidth to handle the traffic it is receiving, or it may have a low timeout setting that the dial up connection can't beat. There are many things, but not his machine or ISP IMO.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Fla._Deadheader

I'm on dial-up, down here ???  ::) ::) ::)  I rarely have a problem with that site. I have more problems with THIS site  ??? ::) ::) ::) ::)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Radar67

Dial up connecting at 26kbps is different from dial up connecting at 52 kbps. If he is getting extremely slow connection speeds and static in the line, that would affect how fast he "talks" to the server. If it is not as fast as the server wants, the server times him out.

Plus, it may take more hops for him to get to the server than it takes others, which increases the length of time it take for him to talk to the server.

The fact remains that he can get to all the other sites he wants to see. Unless he has the biodeisel site blocked or limited, I still say it is the server. (as pertains to the connection speed between the two)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Jeff

I seriously doubt that the remote server is at fault, but I suppose anything is possible.  If that was so I think  others would be having the problem to and so far, no one else has suggested that they do. The problem seems to be unique to Dana. So the odds are that the problem is with his configuration, either OS or ISP.  I just hooked my cellphone to the laptop as a tether to try it. Were on the edge of coverage so I was only getting about 3-4k per second. The site opened fine.

I get that same thing here. Something works for everyone else, but when it doesnt work for that one person, they contact me saying that the problem must be the forum. I'd be willing to bet, someone with a different laptop with an updated OS  hooked to Dana's connection would not have the problem. My experience comes with trouble shooting the way this forum works for people. After going on 8 years, thats become quite considerable.

Warbird

The link you put in  your first post is:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/foru,s/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/2001011761

I changed the "," for an "m" to make the link:

http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/159605551/m/2001011761

and the topic in those forums loads fine.

If this simple typo is not the problem, then you likely have a DNS problem loading that site.  Just do an nslookup against the site and browse directly to the IP.  If it works, you know it's DNS messing up.

pineywoods

I'm with Jeff.  Most likely he is trying to access this site from a bookmark or favorite.
In the above case where a "m" got changed to a comma, it looks like a dropped bit, probably in memory. Folks, there is NO error checking in the internal memory, that hardware went away decades ago.
1995 Wood Mizer LT 40, Liquid cooled kawasaki,homebuilt hydraulics. Homebuilt solar dry kiln.  Woodmaster 718 planner, Kubota M4700 with homemade forks and winch, stihl  028, 029, Ms390
100k bd ft club.Charter member of The Grumpy old Men

Dana

Warbird, I don't know why what you changed works, but it does. :) I tried the original link as well the one in my bookmarks and they don't. So, I have bookmarked your new link address and will use it. Thanks again.

Jeff

So why didnt the links that OWW and I gave earlier in this thread work?

Warbird

They did work, Jeff, they just didn't go to the exact thread in those forums that he was trying to bookmark.  At least, I think that's what the problem was.

Dana

Its not working again. :( I briefly got their website and it said the page was being redirected. Then the same old message server not found.

Jeff

Redirected?  Hmmm, do you get the redirect with firefox as well?

Fla._Deadheader

Page is working fine.

Try THIS link  http://biodiesel.infopop.cc/eve

I go to this page from my address bar, then go where I want from there. ???
   First, it is ridiculed;

Warbird

Disclaimer: Follow the below advice at your own risk.

Does this only happen with Internet Explorer?  Are you on dial-up or do you have a broadband connection?

Do you know much about how your computer gets its IP address and what DNS server(s) it uses?  The only two times I've seen behavior similar to this, the computer had either a proxy server set up that was redirecting and/or not allowing the user to browse to certain sites.  The other time was something similar but using DNS.  The system had been pointed to a DNS server that refused to do lookups for certain sites.  Both cases were versions of spyware/malware.

I'm not saying that is the case here.  It just reminds me of it.  I'm afraid I can't help you without a lot more information or without getting my hands on the system.  The information needed to properly troubleshoot this isn't stuff you want to post on the internet.  Do you have someone local who can come over and look at your computer for you?

If so, and if this is only happening in Internet Explorer, then have them check the proxy server settings (from within IE, click tools, then Internet Options.  In the window that opens, click the Connections tab, then click the LAN Settings button.  Make sure there is no Proxy server setup there unless there is supposed to be).

If this problem is happening in all browsers, then I recommend they run the following command from the command line:  ipconfig /all

Record that info and have them call your ISP to verify it is all correct.  The big things to check here are that your IP address is from your ISP's pool of IP's and that your DNS servers are set correctly.

The other quick thing to check is your hosts file.  I've seen lots of systems with hosts files so messed up, the system was freaking out (also a result of an infection).  Your hosts files, depending on which version of Windows you are running, is likely in C:\WINDOWS\systems32\drivers\etc\hosts.  That file can be opened/edited with notepad.  Unless you have something weird or extremely old school set up, this file should only have a single IP defined after all the comments at the top.  That line should be:  127.0.0.1       localhost

Lessee...  what else could be going on?  Someone at those forums is messing with you?  :P  I dunno man.  This is all off the top of my head, so take it with a grain of salt.  Hope it helps.

farmerdoug

Dana,

I am just wondering, did that coma pop up in your link again?  If it did I would suspect some kind of virus or malware on your computer.
Doug
Truck Farmer/Greenhouse grower
2001 LT40HDD42 Super with Command Control and AccuSet, 42 hp Kubota diesel
Fargo, MI

Dana

Quote from: Jeff on February 03, 2008, 08:07:25 AM
Redirected?  Hmmm, do you get the redirect with firefox as well?
The redirect was with Firefox.
Harold I have I have tried all links including the one you posted.

Warbird, No proxy connection is shown in the tools/lan setting. The problem happens with ALL browsers. I wrote down the info that ipconfig/all displayed. I need to call my provider to validate those numbers? 

The c:\windows\system32\drivers\etc\hosts wouldn't run from msdos prompt and I don't know where to find notepad. So I don't know if there is a single IP

Doug no comma is in the address bar.

Dana

I contacted my internet service provider. Their high speed connection went through fine. However, when he went to a different computer that ran at the same-speed-service they provide me, it wouldn't work. He used my ip address, as well as several others, and none would work.

He said the problem is with their service and not my computer. 8)  He wrote up a service problem request and sent it to the department that fixes it. With any luck I should have access in a week or so.

Thank you all for responding to this thread. Sorry it didn't have a lot to due with the board discussion.
                                                                                   Dana

Warbird

It is very strange that you only noticed service degradation to a single site...  Glad you got it figured out, tho!

Thank You Sponsors!