iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Roughage

Started by Dave Shepard, January 22, 2008, 09:24:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

Anyone here really into salads, as in a salad as a meal? I have been adding a salad to my supper lately. Often a soup or a sandwich and a salad. Sometimes the more I pile onto the salad, the more I think it could be a meal unto itself. Tonight I had a mixed greens salad with green olives, red onion, feta cheese, mozzarella cheese, and russian dressing. And a couple of pepperoncini on the side. food6 I'd like to hear some other ideas from the other roughage eaters.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

sprucebunny

One of my favorite salads is just thinly sliced celery with lemon juice, olive oil and parmesan cheese ( preferably freshly grated or thinly sliced )

Yum
MS193, MS192 and an 026  Weeding and Thinning. Gilbert Champion sawmill

woodbowl

Collard greens, it will cure what ailes ya.
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Coon

One of my favorites is Taco Salad.  Complete meal.  In the salad there is tacos, extra lean ground burger fried, onions, lettuce, tomato, radish, catalina salad dressing, and some finely grated cheddar cheese all mixed together.  Sometimes I add homemade salsa as well.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Jeff

I eat just salad for supper about twice a week.  Packaged salad Lettuce mix, diced boiled chicken, salad mushrooms, 1 crumbled boiled egg, a little shredded cheese with low cal thousand Island dressing. I make a big bowl full and eat till I'm full. :)
Just call me the midget doctor.
Forestry Forum Founder and Chief Cook and Bottle Washer.

Commercial circle sawmill sawyer in a past life for 25yrs.
Ezekiel 22:30

Dave Shepard

We do a lot of different bagged mixes here too. Makes for a quick salad. Although one bag we got last week had some of the strangest greens I've ever seen. Don't really know how to describe them, but they were some kind of spindly, non-leafy vegetable-like component of someones idea of salad mix. ::) :(

I love taco salad! Although the radishes are a new one on me. :D It's about the only chance I get to use hot sauce. food6

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Haytrader

::)

Did I see yet another salad recall on the news last night?

:(
Haytrader

Burlkraft

They start recallin' salad again and I won't have anything to eat  :D  :D
Since my attack plants have become the staple of my diet. I like romaine lettuce with spinach mixed in with all the good extras carrots, mushrooms, garbanzo's, onions, peppers, soy nuts, and some really tasty fat free dressing.  ::)  ::)  ::)
Long gone are the days of cheese and meats in salads for me  :-\  :-\  :-\
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Patty

I love a good salad. My favorite is a taco salad with EVERYTHING! Although I have been known to eat salads without the taco stuff. A giant bowl of lettuce with dabs of whatever everyone else is having for dinner (potatoes,meat, vegetable) stacked on top is a favorite. 

We do not eat many salads in the winter because the greens are so pathetic. I tried the bagged salads and they smell funny...like a chemical has been poured over them. We live far enough out in the boonies that the bagged salads in the store are usually expired or set to expire the next day, maybe that is why they smell.  ::)

Last summer we put 2 big raised bed garden up next to the house for greens. It was great. At dinner we just walked out the back door and picked whatever we needed for a salad. I see a greenhouse in my future when I win the next lottery.
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Dave Shepard

I've had bagged mix that smells a little funny too. I think it may be the type of mix as well as the age. The stuff being pushed as fresh and organic smells the worst. When I was doing the low carb thing, I would make a big salad, and put a cheeseburger and crumbled blue cheese and blue cheese dressing on top. food6

Dave

PS, how do you spell the blue, in blue cheese? :D

DWM II

We do a grilled chicken breast salad here.
Romaine mix with baby greens
green olives
slice almonds
tomatoes
grated parmesean
croutons.

Just light salt and pepper on the chicken and grilled real quick on the habachi, real light vinegrette.   food6
Stewardship Counts!

Corley5

Quote from: Dave Shepard on January 24, 2008, 05:54:42 PM
PS, how do you spell the blue, in blue cheese? :D

Bleu  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Dave Shepard

That's what I thought. An informal poll of the TV watchers in the other room yielded only grunts of vague recognition that a question had been asked. ::)

Dave

LOGDOG

A spinach salad with warm bacon dressing is good too.

LOGDOG

Roxie

I vote "no" on the bagged stuff.  I buy a head of iceberg and romaine, and then wash, dry and tear it.  It keeps a week refrigerated in Tupperware, and never develops that smell. 

My favorite salad is a BLT.  Lettuce, cucumber, green pepper, onion, bacon, tomato (in winter, the hydroponic cherry tomatoe's), and chunks of monterey cheese with ranch dressing. 

Say when

LeeB

Try a little manderin orange and pineapple in your salad sometime. Goes really well with honey mustard dressing.
'98 LT40HDD/Lombardini, Case 580L, Cat D4C, JD 3032 tractor, JD 5410 tractor, Husky 346, 372 and 562XP's. Stihl MS180 and MS361, 1998 and 2006 3/4 Ton 5.9 Cummins 4x4's, 1989 Dodge D100 w/ 318, and a 1966 Chevy C60 w/ dump bed.

sawguy21

We eat a lot of salads, my new girlfriend is diabetic and vegetables are something she can have lots of. Iceberg lettuce, tomatoes, cucs, sliced onion (for me, she won't eat them), radishes, grated cheddar cheese and a vinaigrette. We also like whole uncooked green peas and I add sliced hard boiled egg to mine. We are going to have a feeding frenzy when the garden comes up.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

DanG

New girlfriend? ??? ;D
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Fla._Deadheader

Just had 2 Pineapples delivered to the house, today.
400 colones or 80 cents  :o :o ;D ;D ;D ;) ;)

Now, THAT'S Roughage, turned into a Pina Fresco.  :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :) :)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Burlkraft

2 Pineapples here right now would cost ya $12.00

I know this cuz I just bought 2 yesterday...They're in the dehydrator right now   food6 food6 food6

Fla._Deadheader

Steve, make you a Fresco.  8)

Fill your blender about ½ full of water, maybe a little less.

Peel that hide off'n that Pina, and cut it into chunks about 3-4" long.

Spin up that blender and add them chunks, OF HIDE, until the blender is full.

Spin it till it's all ground up. Pour it through a screen type sifter.

If ya got more hide, repeat the process.

Once the stuff is sifted-strained, put some ice cubes in the blender and pulse them -break them up. Add a little sweetner, and pour in some Pina. Yer lookin for somethin like a "Slushy".

If ya got it all done right, you'll smack yer lips after a healthy swig.

Reina builds them all the time, for me. I's loven 'em.   8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8) 8)
   First, it is ridiculed;

Burlkraft

I'll have ta save up anudder 12 bucks and try that......

Wudda ya do with the pineapple after ya grind up the hide  ???  ???  ???

I know the dog likes pineapple  :D  :D  :D

Fla._Deadheader

Chunk up the rest of the Pina, and eat it with a salad, by itself as a snack, or, have it for breakfast.

We plant the tops and grow our own as an ornamental.  ;) ;D ;D ;D
   First, it is ridiculed;

woodbowl

Ornamental?  Will it make pineapples or just bush out?
Full time custom sawing at the customers site since 1995.  WoodMizer LT40 Super Hyd.

Fla._Deadheader

Depends  on which phase the pina came from.

The first Pina is BIG and eaten fresh. Second is cut fruit and rings in cans.

Third is juice and canned.

This does NOT take into account culls. I'm talking quality defect free, as it was 'splained to me.

I was told  ::) ::) ::)  If you get the BIG ones, those tops should produce BIG quality Pina fruit.

Some ground is better suited for growing Pinas than others.

Florida used to be a Pina producing state. Now, it produces Retirees.  ::) ;D ;D :D

We had about 8-10 in the back yard, in Florida, and harvested, maybe, 6 fruits. Hurricanes helped decimate the plants.
   First, it is ridiculed;

Thank You Sponsors!