iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Anyone use this mill

Started by peter nap, January 22, 2008, 05:23:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

peter nap

http://www.mistersawmill.com/    Scroll down and look at the model 21.

I looked at it today and cut a few boards. It cut like a dream and seemed better built than a lot of others.
It is also on wheels.

I looked at the Woodmizer and met Marty! Nice fellow! But...by his own admission, he didn't have a super deal for me today. I looked at the LT10 and didn't like it. I saw why everyone likes the LT 15 though. Nice Mill,

Haytrader

Peter,

My first two mills were made by a man named Oliver. He is now deceased but lived and made mills a short distance from the mills you refer to. He claimed your guy copied his design. You may hear the same from this guy. Regardless, they are both solid and practical mills that will saw as well as any band mill.
I now have an EZ Boardwalk that I feel is a notch better. These mills are not nationally known but then they don't cost as much either. Some argue the more popular mills resale is better. I sold both of my previous mills used at the original purchase price so I don't agree. Maybe I am just a good salesman...... ;)

One thing most on the FF will agree upon. Buy as big as you can afford and get as much power as you can too. The track can be added to if you see you need more later but it is not easy to up the HP.
Haytrader

thecfarm

Kinda hard to tell from just pictures,but it does not look too bad.Looks like it is built out of ΒΌ inch channel?Just remember if you want to cut a 12 foot log on a track that is only about 13 feet long you have to get it on there just about right.It can be kinda hard to move a 16 inch log 12 feet long 2 inches.I have a 20 foot track and have plenty of room for a 16 foot log.These manual mills are alot of work.Good luck.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

shinnlinger

Peter,

I too have a manual mill and I have to echo wha thas been said here already.  I have heard unsoliciated "love" for the EZ boardwalk. 

I have only used my Turner, It also uses a 13 horse honda, which I would consider to have "adaquate"  power.  MOre is always nice, but if you keep sharp blades on it and are willing to slow down in the hardwoods it will get the job done.

I am impressed with it. I think a decent simple mill for the $$$, I bought mine slightly used with the extra track (30ft total) so I can do a 26 ft beam, but Cfarm is right, the lenght is handy on shorter sticks too, so you dont have to line every thing up exactly. 

But it is ALOT of work.  THe first week I had it, I thought I had made a big mistake thinking I could mill all the wood for my house, It was kicking my ass and I am a pretty well built guy (6'4" 250 lbs in my mid 30's) but I then got into the zone, learned to pace myself, started using the peavy rather than wrestlmania to turn things and in the end I am quite pleased, but I will say this....

Do not consider a manual mill if you do not have a tractor with a FEL and forks or a forklift.  I would also consider how are you getting your logs?  I had a massive windstorm drop many huge pines next door, but I happen to have an excavator with a thumb to load my tractor and trailer.

I see the large pile of timbers I milled and think the small investment I made in the mill vs the large investment my lumber would have cost me if I had bought it and think it was a good decesion, but if I consider the time it took to get the logs (and these were all of high quality, withing 1000 yards of the mill) the physical risk, wear and tear of myself and equipment, what I paid a guy to help me out occasionally, fuel for all the equipment, and all the time it took to mill and my wife telling me to sell the mill and buy the lumber halfway through it (In the END she was happy) and well then I am not so sure I came out that far ahead.  If I had to buy the logs it would have been break even at best.

Still, there is a real satisfaction in doing it yourself.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

peter nap

Thanks Guys!
Haytrader, that makes me feel a lot better. I liked the thing. They had a couple at another spot that looked just like the Norwoods. They looked OK but not nearly as solid as this one. The district rep and the builder were there and we talked for a long time. Both were decent fellows.

The district rep is a floor man and uses the mill to make some of his custom floors. I assume he cuts the T&G on a shaper.

I'm still wondering if I lost my neat-o mind. I'm perfectly capable of building the cabin but milling the lumber too............

Well, I'm going to sleep on it and I might write him a check tomorrow. Sure wish the stock marked hadn't crashed. >:(

peter nap

I'm still swinging back and forth Shinnlinger.
You've made some good points  and to be honest, ones that I've already considered. We own a tree farm that can use a little thinning, so the logs will come from here. I do have a tractor with a FEL and I can add forks.

Getting to the trees is a little more difficult, and that's why I was thinking about a chainsaw mill in the first place. I couldn't do as much of the lumber with it but a good bit with a lot more work and less money.

The physical end of it concerns me some too. I ain't 36 anymore...I'm a tad older than Haytrader but until last year I was indestructible. I had my appendix burst and while they were taking that thing out, they found a heart problem.

The weekend house I'm building, will be the one I die in, but I'd like to finish it first 8)

Still lots to think about! >:(

gizmo

I just sent them an email on how much to ship a 21 w/ trailer. I'm getting ready to retire and i have 25 acres of all kinds of wood. I'd like to build a pole barn and a shelter and i figure the lumber I cut will pay for the mill. Nice to cut it when you need it factor. When you get yours Peter let me know what you think... I'll be new to this also..

andybuildz

Well I'm curious...what do some of you think about taking  the mill to the tree if'n yer not equipped with a loader.
Like a Peterson or a Mobile Dimension?
I think before any of us buy a new mill we need to weigh out how much everything we need'll cost and we certainly can't leave out getting the logs to the mill......or the mill to the logs? What weighs out best on a limited budget?
And what luck have any of you had using an Arch to move logs around?
Anyone actually ever really figure it out on paper.....then actually do it? I'd love to hear from y'all about that scenario.
HTTP://www.cliffordrenovations.com
"How people treat you is their karma, how you respond is yours"

andybuildz

Quote from: gizmo on January 23, 2008, 07:25:32 PM
I just sent them an email on how much to ship a 21 w/ trailer. I'm getting ready to retire and i have 25 acres of all kinds of wood. I'd like to build a pole barn and a shelter and i figure the lumber I cut will pay for the mill. Nice to cut it when you need it factor. When you get yours Peter let me know what you think... I'll be new to this also..
Gettin' ready to retire???? Geezzz,,,yer the same age as me Gizmo. Maybe there's more I need to consider...lol.
PS..Like your fire pit!

ErikC

I moved my peterson to the logs some after I first got it, and although it can be done it's a lot of work. One man is not enough to do it without a struggle. Then there's the lumber....
  On the other hand, if the logs are where you can drive near them and just set up and cut, moving the tracks from log to log isn't all that bad. I won't say it's easy or real fast, but one man can do that job all right.
   I would try and swing a tractor and mill together if I was you, but none of us are made of money are we? Without the tractor I would take a swing mill over a manual band mill for sure. Even big logs can get cut in this way, and not handling them by peavy on the mill -- turning cants, edging,  etc.-- is appealing as well. 
   Actually I would take a swing mill over a band mill anyway ;D
  I don't have much to add regarding logging arches, but many are to be found here on the FF.
  I think the old saying "do the best you can with what you've got at the time" applies a lot in this buisiness!

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

WILDSAWMILL

look at the Kasco saw2B  from Kasco Manufacturing in In.
Kascosaw2B

shinnlinger

Peter,

Sorry if I talked you out of anything maybe others can tell you how easy it is and I'm an idoit, but I think I was fairly efficient and kept it in perspective.  From my experience, It aint all roses with a manual mill

If you have a reliable source of cheap labor or someone you could swap labor for boards or milling it might make a nice difference.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

gizmo

andybuildz ,

I see you looked at my website. Maybe I shouldn't waste my time with the lumber and sell the Rocks instead. As you see I have the tractor, am working on the time (Retireing), so i guess i could really use a mill.

http://homepages.roadrunner.com/outdoorsman/

Ianab

QuoteWell I'm curious...what do some of you think about taking  the mill to the tree if'n yer not equipped with a loader.

Yes thats what I generally do. But I usually work with big logs and moving them is a pain even with machinery. When you have logs of 1,000 bdft each then moving the mill to each log is no big deal. Ideally I try and drop the trees where they can be milled, or when there is some sort of machinery around. (Excavator or bulldozer). But I just get the logs layed out on the flattest spot around then bring in the mill. If I'm cutting smaller logs then it's easier to drag them to a central location, stage them up and roll each one under the mill. But if it's going to take more than 15 mins to move a log, then I move the mill. The mills is easy enough for one guy to move around on a flat area, but a bit awkward on rough or sloping ground. 2 or 3 guys to move it then  :-\

Ideally you want to be able to get the trailer or pickup carrying the mill near to the logs. Then I load the sawn boards directly onto the trailer and haul them home for stacking. I have done this with a quad bike and trailer when the ground was too muddy for anything bigger. Took a few trips with the little trailer to get the boards out, but no great problem.

Another bonus is the sawdust disposal, just leave it behind ;)

Cheers

Ian
Weekend warrior, Peterson JP test pilot, Dolmar 7900 and Stihl MS310 saws and  the usual collection of power tools :)

andybuildz

Quote from: gizmo on January 23, 2008, 10:03:09 PM
andybuildz ,

I see you looked at my website. Maybe I shouldn't waste my time with the lumber and sell the Rocks instead. As you see I have the tractor, am working on the time (Retireing), so i guess i could really use a mill.

http://homepages.roadrunner.com/outdoorsman/

Well there aren't all that many of us New Yorkers here Gizmo so I hadda look...lol.
Now I know why you call yourself Gizmo...I'm no different...prolly' no one here is for that matter...we all just like gizmo's.
AND TWO tractors...lol. Ya just HAD TO have the new Kubota didn't ya? Can't say I blame you...what a beauty! Can't think of too many things that'd go better with it than a nice new mill <G>What nice new tires on it too....bet ya haven't even gotten one scratch on it yet. Christmas present perhaps?

gizmo

Only the Kubota is mine. The other one is a guy up the roads. He was trying mine out for size. The tires have been pretty muddy at times. Actually buried it pretty good once.

peter nap

I do the same thing with the tractors. I don't have a backhoe, just a FEL. I have a friend who just bought a farm about 8 miles from me,,He has a smaller tractor with a backhoe. It's amazing how much we can get done with 2 tractors going at the same time.

As a matter of fact, tomorrow we are going to flatten out my building site some (Like about 7 feet on the high side) He digs, I scoop.

Thank You Sponsors!