iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Have a post size question.

Started by okie, January 21, 2008, 02:38:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okie

This is not a timberframing question but I wasnt sure where to put it and I'm sure a tfer could answer so here goes.
I am considering putting up a pole / post building on my land sitting on top of concrete pier supports. This building will be used for storage and after main home construction is done the building would be renovated into a guest house. I was wondering what size post would be necessary to support floor girts and joists as well as the rafter girts and possibly loft joists. I bought a book on this and it mostly is descriptive in using round poles although it does mention using 6 x 6 posts as an option but I wasnt sure if they would be large enough. I have done some research on this and it looks like a simple way to build a structure with few materials and have seen some houses built in a Japanese style using this same type of construction and my wife absolutely really likes the way they look so this may wind up being my primary method of construction.
The book I bought is called "Practical Pole Building Construction" so if any of you own this book you know what I am referring to.
Thanks
Morgan
Striving to create a self sustaining homestead and lifestyle for my family and myself.

Thank You Sponsors!