iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

The "I hit something" Scoreboard

Started by Nate Surveyor, January 21, 2008, 12:14:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nate Surveyor

Well, I don't know why, but when you put a new blade on, it seems to attract metal better than an old dull one! :D :D :D

I cut alot of board feet with one Peterson Blade, and just about wore the teeth out. So, I finally changed blades. KA--------------CHING.............. 7 broken teeth on the new blade!

This log was such a beautiful log. I pulled the 40d nail out of it, and then metal detected the log.  My bunkers are PINE, with a 2" x2" strip of oak, with countersunk screws for bunkers. The metal detector was picking up the screws that hold the 2" x 2" oak pcs on.
Well, the nail was put in the tree, about 5' up, and when the tree was probably less than 4" dia.

OK, score is 1 for Nate, for this year!

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Dan_Shade

i hit two nails, probably 12d or so the other day, and hardly damaged the band, so I kept going, well, the next board was trucking along about 2/3 full speed and "chink" and then the engine immediately bogged down then stalled out.

the band had dove down about 45 degrees, we had to wedge the kerf open and use a stick to drive the band back out of the dive.  after cutting the cant down to see what we hit, we eventually found a broadtip arrowhead!  when it hit, it bent every tooth over that it didn't knock off.  the whole band had the teeth set to one side :)

Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

dad2nine

Oh what's really fun is hitting a old glass pop bottle then the butt of a cedar tree. As I walked over to grab my coffee the band screamed for dear, life right before it exploded into chunks. How it got there, I don't know but obviously the tree grew around it somehow. My suspicion is it was wedged in between two trees because I just see laying a pop bottle against the base of a tree and in 40 years it would be inside the tree.

Another interesting one was an old starter I found the crotch of a big oak - puts a new meaning to shade tree mechanic doesn't it?

Buddy of mine hit a piece of angle iron in a yard tree walnut and it must have caught the blade just right because it snapped the drive shaft in two (Hudson band mill)

I try my best not to saw yard trees any more. I purchase my logs from loggers - an occasional bullet is so much better than lots of nails.

ronwood

I find that hitting the drywall screws are the worse (next to concrete). I ruined two blades a couple of weeks ago in one log. Thought I had them all out. 16 penny nail is butter compared to the screws.
Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

DanG

Nuthin to brag about so far this year, but I've only sawed about 500' this month.

I hit this a couple of years ago, 40+ years deep in a pine.  It was one of those hooks the phone co. puts on a pole to fasten the service drop to.  Basically, it is a 3/8"x4" lag screw with a hook on the end.

"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

dail_h

My best to date was a cannon ball with a veneer lathe. Now that was fun!!!!!!!!!! Oh yeah ,brand new blade
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Timburr

Apart from the normal "run of the mill" calamities, such as everyday ironware, my most unusual strike was when the mill started exhausting black sawdust.  ::)  Made some strange noises, nothing like the usual metal "zing" though.  Further investigation discovered an 80 to 90 year old, what seemed to be a wheel barrow type tyre.  Did they make rubber wheel barrow tyres then?   ???   Although it had steel re-enforcement, no blade damage was incurred, 'coz all the steel was iron oxide.
Sense is not common

deeker

8)Just sawing along one fine day...........on a juniper (cedar) that I had cut from a desert camping area.  Of course against my fathers (88yr old at the time) better judgement.   ::) ::) ::)  The trunk was 29" and it was 16' long, lots of waste in juniper, such a huge taper.  Then the fun begins......we hit 32 bullets most were .22 and a few were .308 the fun one was a solid .458 slug.  Sadly I did not take pictures.  The man there buying furniture wood, was willing to buy the lumber for table tops with the slugs in.  I have a background in "ballistics" as well all uses of firearms.  A member of Barnes bullets advisory staff here in Utah.  I wish I would have kept the entire slabs!  There are several gun clubs that have asked about the boards after the fact.  Now a bit wiser, only use for camp area trees is firewood!  It ruined the blade but did not break it.  Glass bottles and glass insulaters are fun too!  They make a lot of neat sounds!

Kevin Davis
Ruff Cutts
To those who fight for it, life has a flavor the protected will never know.  On an empty C-ration box.  Khe-Sahn 1968

mike_van

I got a sheetrock screw the other day, took the tips right off every tooth - Junked that blade, it had a lot of hours on it anyway -
I was the smartest 16 year old I ever knew.

ErikC

The last time I hit metal was a month ago or so. I thought all would go well because the logs had been gone over with a metal detector, but sure enough, down deep---Zing, Zing, Zing.
Three 16d's in a row.  I wasn't sure which of them knocked my teeth off the Peterson so I just charged the owner!!
  The good news was I had already cut 10 or 12 thousand board feet with that blade, and the tips were getting thin anyway. As Nate said earlier, it usually happens to a new blade not an old one.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

boulderridge

I hit three nails in the same log about three weeks ago. I think the kids were making good use of their time while I was putting the roof over the Frick "0" mill  >:(. I 've also hit the log dog a couple of times. I think gremlins keep pushing the unused dog out after I push it back.  ;)

Husband

Well I must be the only one doing something right, I've hit none!!! ;D

Then again I've not done much milling to date. :(

brdmkr

Chipped a tooth on an eye-bolt today.  Trouble is..... I knew it was there!  I broke it off trying to screw it out.  I had to hack down to it to find the eye, but I figured I could still cut half the log.  I hit the tip of the bolt :o
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Ron Wenrich

The unusual ones were a hammer head (ball peen), RR spikes (hunter used them to get up in a tree.  Found on 3 logs), and a piece of 3/8" galvanized steel.  That one ruined the saw by taking off 14 teeth and bending 30 others. 

I think we had a thread on this one before, but its always interesting.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

LT40HDD51

A few years ago we worked in Halifax after hurricane Juan pretty much flattened all their trees. Almost all the logs were salvage from peoples yards. We hit 4 clothesline pulleys, a couple nice little plates with "NS Power" on them bolted on with 4 big lag bolts, a ceramic insulator (removes the teeth  ;D), and countless nails, screws, bolts, pieces of cable and wire, etc. etc. etc. Ruined probably 20-25 blades on the one job. Had to charge by the hour and by the blade...

Ive found a few bullets, too. At our 25th WM celebration in New Brunswick, I was sawing a probably 30" white pine when the blade hit a small nail. We pulled the slab off, and found a small finish nail and a small cluster of 9mm slugs, not too hard on the blade. The logger happened to be there and was swearing up and down that it was cut way out in the middle of the woods somewhere. I said "where would you go with your 9 mil and a box of shells for a little target practice? Id go way out in the woods somewhere..."  ;D. Lots of our owners were there checkin it out and got a kick out of it.

Ive got a .30 calibre rifle slug somewhere too, that I just happened to cut through end-wise. It shows a neat cross-section of half of the mushroomed bullet... I should try and find it...
The name's Ian. Been a sawyer for 6 years professionally, Dad bought his first mill in '84, I was 2 years old :). Factory trained service tech. as well... Happy to help any way I can...

ErikC

A friend of mine had a woodmizer, and he got a few trees from an isolated campground. I helped him fall them, and we loaded up and went to his place. He hit so many bullets I passed on the favor of giving me one log that was too big for the woodmizer. There were several dozen, from several calibers. It was no wonder the trees were dying---lead poisoning!

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

Nate Surveyor

I think I can see a new business coming on...

Bulletized table tops!

I could buy my son a few hundred rounds of ammo, and turn him loose on a stand of timber!

He he!

Of course, you'd need some fancy blades for the wood miser, or go real slow, or something, but I think a Peterson run slow would certainly make some perdy table tops!

New art form!

Nate
I know less than I used to.

Ron Wenrich

I have some pine that has shotgun pellets in it.  I put them in my house in part of the trim. 

If I ever get ambitious, I'll post pics.
Never under estimate the power of stupid people in large groups.

Sawyerfortyish

One of the boards I used for siding on my mill has a shotgun rifle slug I cut through the middle of and never knew it. I seen it months later when running a blower pipe along the wall. One of my worst hits was a chunk of concrete in the middle of a big white oak. It was about 6" dia and 2 ' long and I sawing at full speed and cut in about 10" before I stopped and slammed the carrige in reverse and broke most of teeth off the small gear that meshes with the bull gear that made the carrige move. It didn't hurt the blade but the teeth were ground away and gone. I don't think I can count how many nails I've hit in the last week and thats after we scanned them with a metal detector. Whats that famous FF quote? Why use one nail when 3 will work.

boulderridge

I was sguaring up some creosoted utility pulls to use for a pole building and I started to notice these little aluminum tubes laying under the blade. I found one with just the end cut off and was able to read some of the writing. It had the word creosote  stamped on it along with a picture of skull and cross-bones. Some of them had some sort of wax type material inside. The poles seemed to have holes bored into them and these cartriges jammed into the hole.

Does anyone know what there purpose is? Were they there to cure the center of the pole where the treatment from the outside wouldn't reach?

Boulderridge

oldsaw

Nails and a rock.  The rock totalled out a new milling chain.  Been relatively lucky so far considering the number of yard logs I've milled.

I did mess up a brand new chain taking down a cherry.  A hardened spike was right below the bark in the base of the tree.  Not sure what the idea was, but I had just put the chain on 5 minutes before the cut.  Put the saw to the tree and it was like the chain was on backwards (don't ask how I know about that one, it was 30 years ago and I still remember how it felt....and I did do it on the mill once....but I'm not talking about that), then saw shiny stuff in the cut.  yay.

Mark
So many trees, so little money, even less time.

Stihl 066, Husky 262, Husky 350 (warmed over), Homelite Super XL, Homelite 150A

aggiewoodbutchr

I cut into a 40"+- water oak log that had a dozen 60d nails drove it all the way around about 18" from the ground.  It was also wrapped with 1/8" copper tube at the same place.  No idea what it was for but it broke a new ripping chain.

bandmiller2

Stay clear of crotches I think those DanG squirrels put rocks there on purpose.After a wile you get bad feelings about a log but are subborn ,cut it and hit something ,such is the life of a sawyer.Frank C.
A man armed with common sense is packing a big piece

Sawyerfortyish

You have to change the setting on your metal detector to rock/concrete ::) ;D

DanG

Boulderridge, those were probably where they plugged some test holes.  They bore into them to be sure the treatment penetrated.
"I don't feel like an old man.  I feel like a young man who has something wrong with him."  Dick Cavett
"Beat not thy sword into a plowshare, rather beat the sword of thine enemy into a plowshare."

Thank You Sponsors!