iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Inlay Coffee Table in the Works.

Started by SwampDonkey, January 21, 2008, 09:08:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SwampDonkey

Taking a pattern put together and displayed from the Making Patterns From Triangles thread, I am piecing together a coffee table using one of the patterns inlayed into the top.

Here I have biscuit jointed a few pieces, which are being held with clamps recommended by a forum member.  ;) Once all the sections are glued up, I will scribe an oval off each end. Looking to have about a 30 inch wide table, by 45 inch long at the mid points.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Robert Long

Hey Swamp Donkey 8)

That's looking nice!   I am sure you are planning a boarder around that glue up.

Looking forward to seeing the table complete ;)

Robert

SwampDonkey

I have two more 5" sections to glue up on the end where the handles are and one more on the far end of the clamps.

I have some legs to turn and some 3" wide edging for the table underside to cut.

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Left Coast Chris

I use aluminum bar clamps and seem to struggle with getting a flat piece in the end.  The bars bow slightly and do not sit flat on the piece.   Looks like you have home cut bars out of wood sitting flat on the piece?   Do the clamps compress the top and bottom bars onto the piece?

Let us know how the clamps work and where to get them.  Great clamping job not to mention the good looking inlay joints!
Home built cantilever head, 24 HP honda mill, Case 580D, MF 135 and one Squirel Dog Jack Russel Mix -- Crickett

metalspinner

8) 8)

Love those clamps!

No way are you going to sand through those inlays either. :D  What is that form of construction called, anyway?  Marquetry?  Any ideas on the base design yet?

LCC,
Those clamps compress in from all four directions.  Woodcraft carries them.  I'm sure others do, as well.
I do what the little voices in my wife's head tell me to do.

SwampDonkey

Quote from: metalspinner on January 21, 2008, 12:57:35 PM
No way are you going to sand through those inlays either. :D

Oh yeah?  :D It took about 1 hr and 1/2 on the table sander, but I did it. I was a dust magnet by the time I finished.  :D :D Just gotta touch up on the hand held belt sander after she's all glued up.  ;D

QuoteWhat is that form of construction called, anyway?  Marquetry?

I just call it inlay.  :D What do I know? My first attempt, so don't ask too many hard questions.   ;) It wasn't super perfect fit, but she's snug and just the odd hairline. A little colored fill will do magic along with some rotten stone between 2nd and third finish coats.  ;D

QuoteAny ideas on the base design yet?

Yes, I just didn't draw anything up. Going to use halving joints to make a lower shelf using rails spaced about 2" apart. Just a place to stuff a book or photo album or puzzle book or whatever.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Well I got an education today. Metalspinner mentioned this inlay work was called marquetry, so I went searching. ;D

http://www.marquetrysociety.ca

SwampDonkey

So, how do I scribe an ellipse on my table top  ???

Refer here

SwampDonkey

Here is a splined joint used to make the table shelf with rails as cross members. Not sure how to join to the legs on the corners yet.

SwampDonkey

Here I've scribed my ellipse with my home made ovaler. My ovaler is a bit loose, you can tighten things up a bit if you take more time then I did. I would also embed a trimmed off finish nail on each corner of the underside to eliminate slippage. Maybe protrude the nail about 1/32", just barely touching the surface of the table. Your going to sand the surface afterward anyway. But mine did work well. I went around afterward and checked the geometry and made adjustments before applying a heavier line weight. It looks pretty good to me. I upgraded my mechanism from a 5" block to a 10" for a table this size.

metalspinner

That's looking great, SD.

That pattern reminds me of quilt patterns.  Will this table be a close neighbor to your previous table?

WDH

Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

SwampDonkey

Quote from: metalspinner on January 22, 2008, 11:18:07 PM
That's looking great, SD.

That pattern reminds me of quilt patterns.  Will this table be a close neighbor to your previous table?

Yeah me to, to the quilt patterns.  ;D It will be just across the room.  ;D

SwampDonkey

Well, here is the table top cut out on the band saw. When carving out I left about 1/16 of an inch margin around the pencil line to give space for error. Then I took the top over to the table sander and smoothed out the rough edge to the line. Not too bad if I say so myself.  ;D :)

You know what would go good with this table is if a some lady quilting bee put together a matching throw to toss over the back of the couch.  ;D

Bro. Noble

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 23, 2008, 10:01:45 AM

You know what would go good with this table is some lady to toss over the back of the couch.  ;D

Sounds like an interesting next project 8) 8) 8)
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

Turned the legs today out of Y. birch. Took about an hour each to mark the reference lines and turn them out.

Got my four table legs in a row.  ;D Cough.

shopteacher

Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

SwampDonkey

A little tip for turners:

If you have a steady hand or even better a template....., did you know that if you scribe the shape you want to turn on each face of your turning, that you can see the shape from the pencil lines as it turns on the lathe? Try it. ;)

WDH

I am with Bro. Noble.  Tell me more about the lady that matches the table ;D.

SD,  nice legs :D.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

getoverit

I'm a lumberjack and I'm ok, I work all night and sleep all day

SwampDonkey

Hows this for an attachment method for the table legs?

SwampDonkey

Here is the frame, still have to add the lower shelf framing. You can see the grooves cut further down the legs. Just wanted to show the construction on the corners.

I just set the table top on the frame for a shot, but not fastened down yet.

Enough for today.  ;D

Robert Long

It's sure nice looking  8)

Can't wait to see the finish on it!

Very well done ;)

Robert

SwampDonkey

There now, you got yourself a place to set your book or magazine.  ;D

cherry

WDH

SD,

How did you attach those shelf rails to the legs?

bedway

Fastening stretchers to legs on a table i normally use double biscuts. This also works good for the legs to the top stretchers. If the joint is going to be subjected to a lot of stress i use pocket screws also. Ive built hundreds of tables/stands with this method and never had a joint faliure,,,bedway

SwampDonkey

Table top mounted, ready for sanding and polishing.  ;D

SwampDonkey

WDH,

In the previous post you see the front and back rails? The cross members are inlayed into those first, then a strip of walnut 3/8" thick is fit into a groove about 1/2" deep. You can see one in post #23 on the back rail of picture two. Everything is super tight, in fact the glue causes a bit of swell and there ain't no way that's coming apart.

Anyway, the legs have grooves 1/4" deep into them cut 1-3/4"x1-1/2" for the rails. Once that  framework of the shelf with just the back and front rails and the cross members are jointed and glued, I slide that onto the grooves of the legs. The rails of this piece are about 1/4" thinner than the left and right rails. The left and right rail are glued and slid on last with and they keep the main shelf from sliding backward or forward with a 1/4" overlap that extends toward those cross members. The rails are all glued to the leg grooves. I never saw any need to biscuit or dowel them because everything is tight fitting with the legs tending to pull tight into the rails. The glue is very strong and I challenge anyone to remove those rails without busting the legs up in the process. ;D

Dave Shepard

Wow! That is really awesome SwampDonkey!  8) 8)

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Dodgy Loner

Beautiful table, SD! :)  You've been working fast.  I can't wait to see it with a finish!
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

SwampDonkey

Hey Dodgy, long time no see.  ;D

Applying the finish today.  Got two applied already on the underside, shelf and legs. :)

sgtmaconga

I have been following this project and my wife just looked over my shoulder as she passed me. needless to say i now have another project added to my honey do list. great job
Measure twice cut once

SwampDonkey

Three coats of finish. Going to give a light rub tomorrow and add another coat.

Dodgy Loner

Looks great, what kind of finish didja use?
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

SwampDonkey

metalspinner

8) 8) 8)

You work fast!  It must be cold up there. :D

That is another great project and had fun following it.  What's next??? ;D smiley_whip

Coon

Great job there Swamp.  I sure wshed my grandmother could have seen this table.  She woulda got right on making one for ya just for something to do.  ;)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

Burlkraft

Good job SD   8)  8)  8)

That's one purdy table   ;)   ;)   ;)
Why not just 1 pain free day?

Loghead

great looking table and I bet its solid as a rock  ;D ;D ;D
lovin anything handcrafted with logs!!

Norm

Very nice SD, always enjoy watching your projects.

SwampDonkey

Glad ya enjoyed the show folks.  ;D  I'm sure proud of those tables. And your right Loghead, when you take that coffee table in your hands you know you got something.  :)

I just discovered something today while looking at some hardwood flooring and I'd like to know if anyone ever saws yellow birch crotch wood. I'd sure like to see what it looks like. From what I seen in the flooring, around the knots at least, it has figure much the same as walnut only thing it has a golden color to it. Yellow birch is nice wood to work with. Maybe roger 4400 can try some from his 40" Y. birch?  8)

IL Bull

Case Skid Steer,  Ford Backhoe,  Allis WD45 and Burg Manual Sawmill

Dodgy Loner

From what I've seen, most any hardwood can produce beautiful crotch wood.  Based on my (limited) experience, walnut just seems to produce crotch wood without bark inclusions more often than other species.  I've got some beautiful crotchwood stashed away from river birch, white oak, cherry, and walnut that's just sitting around waiting for my craftsmanship to improve the the point where I feel comfortable using it ;).

SwampDonkey

Yeah, yellow birch may be one of those trees with bark inclusions. I see some in Y birch burl products quite often, but it still sells well for good money. There is one fellow that produces $3000 bowls that wouldn't be any bigger than a football. Some include green stain or maybe foxfire fungus. Of course it's dead. I don't see anyone using crotch wood up here. But, I have not been to a lot of places to look for it. They mostly use figured woods like curly and birdseye.

ghulst

That is my kind of table. I love it. nice job.
    Gary

Lud

SD ,
           Nice top, nice table.
Simplicity mill, Ford 1957 Golden Jubilee 841 Powermaster, 40x60 bankbarn, left-handed

SwampDonkey

Yes, I wish I had one long before this. :)

I have a plywood table in the window now with my potted hardwood seeds.
Walnut, plum and oak. I put an extra 4 hours of light them in the evening.
Just potted them yesterday, so I won't see much sprouting for a
couple weeks at least.

cheers

Thank You Sponsors!