iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Rats!!

Started by Dave Shepard, January 20, 2008, 10:06:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Dave Shepard

There has been a rat problem at work for long time, probably twenty years, long before I was around anyway. There have been assorted efforts of poisoning, trapping, and exorcism rituals, to no avail. The main problem is nobody want so keep the food source from the rats. I was walking through the barn with the boss on friday, and pointed out that the rats had chewed their way into a sealed 5 gallon pail. Upon further inspection, it turned out to be a new, unopened pail of rat poison!. :o :o I guess they have built up a tolerance. :D :D Either that or they have a special toxic waste store somewhere with big signs warning the other rats. :D :D (I have seen this behavior before, well, I've never seen a sign. They aren't stupid ;)).

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

pigman

I understand the problem. When I was in the pig business, I had a rat problem because of all the feed around. I had to store the rat poison in metal cans to keep the rats from eating all of it. ;) ;D
Things turn out best for people who make the best of how things turn out.

sgtmaconga

I has the same problem with rats and mice. my answer worked great. it seams that cats love to catch them. i now have 3 barn cats and have not had a problem since.
Measure twice cut once

thedeeredude

I heard owls are better for rodents than cats.   Don't know.

SwampDonkey

The owls will even catch the cats.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Tom

Now all you gotta do is figure out how to get folks to drop off unwanted owls at the end of the road.  :-\

olyman

Quote from: Tom on January 21, 2008, 10:45:34 AM
Now all you gotta do is figure out how to get folks to drop off unwanted owls at the end of the road.  :-\
::) only on this forum------------------and--as stated---get some cats--end of problem----friend had saem dilemma as you--cats

dail_h

Two things,1 GET RID OF FOOD SOURCE. 2 Snakes makes good neighbors
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

Radar67

Quote from: dail_h on January 21, 2008, 01:36:47 PM
Snakes makes good neighbors

Cats are much better neighbors than snakes.  ;)
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

johncinquo

Snakes wont crawl into your open car windown and leave a present. :D
To be one, Ask one
Masons and Shriners

limbrat

Snakes are lots better nieghbors than cats but are very sensitive to chemicals and vibrations from stuff like equipment and they are seasonal workers. Are the rats as bad in the summer? If there is food for snakes they may already be working it during the summer months. Terriers are custom made ratters but are less likely to despose of the carnage than cats. Rats hide from cats and dogs, snakes go in after them but only take two or three rats a month. Cats dogs and snake are likely to die from eating rats laced with rat poison, use the poison kill the long term cure.
ben

Dave Shepard

If the food sources were cleaned up, the rats would have to move on. The food sources will never get cleaned up, so they will never move on. Some of the people around here are in ruts so deep they make a locomotvie look like a wandering free spirit.

A while back the boss was chewing out one of my coworkers in the office. Shortly into it, the rats started running around on top of the ceiling tiles. The boss kept chewing, but was looking more and more at the ceiling tiles moving up and down. The chewee started to slide his chair back, as did the chewer. Soon both of them, without stopping the chewing, got up and moved outside to a safer location. The butt-chewing continued throughout the entire incident. ;D ::) This place is stranger than fiction.

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

stonebroke

what is the food source at a sawmill?

Stonebroke

dail_h

Yeah,what is the food source,and why can't it be cleaned up? at leastreduced?
World Champion Wildcat Sorter,1999 2002 2004 2005
      Volume Discount At ER
Singing The Song Of Circle Again

olyman

thers some yellow colored poison at feed stores--maldrin????? used for flys--will kill rats near instant also--keep away from animals----

Tom

A few kids with air rifles can be pretty effective too. Especially for a nickel a rat.

Dave Shepard

Right next to the mill is a huge barn that contains a wood working shop, the sign shop, assorted offices, and about 42 tons of absolute junk. The upstairs is also filled with about 73.5 tons of even more useless junk. The downstairs has horse stalls. Once upon a time there were pigs, which I believe was the problem originally. One main food source right now is the dog food that gets left out for the dogs. Instead of putting out one serving at a time, the food bowls get filled up everyday. If one was to do a little figuring, you would soon realize one dog can't eat that much food in a day without dropping dead. ;) As long as the rats don't chew off the power lines to the mill, they don't bother me too much.

Dave

Thank You Sponsors!