iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

It's a cold day in pergatory!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Started by pep, January 20, 2008, 09:28:30 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

pep

Were in the deep freeze here for the next week.  This morning clear and cold -35C.  Expecting a high of -26 :o :o yikes_smiley

Cheers Pep
Lucas 827 w/slabbing bar
JD 410B
Wood Wiz Surfacing Attachment

Bibbyman

You guys need to keep that cold up there! 

It's 3°F this morning down here!  Never got into the mid-teens yesterday.  Not going to get much warmer today if any.  I don't remember how to convert that to C's but its too cold for our thin blood!
Wood-Mizer LT40HDE25 Super 25hp 3ph with Command Control and Accuset.
Sawing since '94

LOGDOG

20 degrees here in Shreveport, Bossier City Louisiana. We had snow up here day before last and then yesterday when I was coming back from New Orleans it snowed briefly down there. That doesn't happen often here.

LOGDOG

John Bartley

Quote from: pep on January 20, 2008, 09:28:30 AM
Were in the deep freeze here for the next week.  This morning clear and cold -35C.  Expecting a high of -26 :o :o yikes_smiley

Cheers Pep

Is the lake frozen over yet?

John

(Dome Mines, 2420/2506, 1979/80)
Kioti DK35HSE w/loader & forks
Champion 25hp band mill, 20' bed
Stihl MS361
Stihl 026

Faron

Bout 3° here this morning too.  I'd complain about feeding this morning, but Roxie would just tell me to cowboy up-again. ;) ;D
Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.  Liberty is a well armed lamb contesting the vote. - Ben Franklin

SwampDonkey

It was 4° F here this morning, now it's 6° F. ;D :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Woodcarver

-5 F for a high yesterday, -15 early this morning. There's going to be a cold football game this evening.
Just an old dog learning new tricks.......Woodcarver

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Bibbyman on January 20, 2008, 09:49:23 AM
You guys need to keep that cold up there! 

It's 3°F this morning down here!  Never got into the mid-teens yesterday.  Not going to get much warmer today if any.  I don't remember how to convert that to C's but its too cold for our thin blood!

°C = °F - 32

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Warbird

-35 C?  Bah, that's only -31 F.  'round these parts, that's swimsuit and t-shirt weather!  ;) ;D

Corley5

15f here with a brisk 15mph wind and 18" of new lake effect snow.  Just finished suiting up in the blizzard wear to blow snow and process wood.  Had orders for 6 face cords the last .5 hour.  One guy is out and needs wood now  ::)  He'll pay extra  ;) ;D
Burnt Gunpowder is the Smell Of Freedom

Corley5

I just came in from trying to leave  ::)  The door on the GMC didn't get shut tight last night so the dome light stayed on.  The battery is dead and the diesel is parked in such a way I can't get it turned around for jump without getting it stuck.  So the battery's on the charger for a bit.  I love winter  ::) ;)

Corley5

Coon

Was talking to a logger friend yesterday.  He said these temps are just perfect in the bush.  It's been -20 to-40 C since Monday.  Jim says the branches are breaking off just right with the skidder.  He is logging white spruce up to 32" dbh right now. :)
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

beenthere

south central Wisconsin
It may be that my sole purpose in life is simply to serve as a warning to others

SwampDonkey

Quote from: Coon on January 20, 2008, 03:46:14 PM
Was talking to a logger friend yesterday.  He said these temps are just perfect in the bush.  It's been -20 to-40 C since Monday.  Jim says the branches are breaking off just right with the skidder.  He is logging white spruce up to 32" dbh right now. :)

That's pretty big for white spruce. I've never noticed spruce too easy to limb that way. They are tough. Fir is even more brittle in the cold. But most mills here want the limbs cut flush because of debarking. On spruce there tends to be a limb collar that needs trimming.

clif

Well, it is 32 and raining here today, one of the hazards of living near the ocean.  Six days ago it was -32 and it sure wasn't raining.
Mighty Myte Mark IV Band Saw Mill .  " Don't let the past hold you back"

treenail

It's a nice balmy +14degrees F here in New Hampshire right now, so I guess that it would be best not to complain too much. None the less, I decided to spend the day woodturning in my nice warm woodshop, rather than do something outdoors. The cold that most of you have been experiencing  is supposed to arrive in these parts tonight and be well below zero. Global warming has hit here though, as I can remember temps here being 20-30 below many mornings when I was a kid back in the fifties and sixties.
Norwood Lumbermate 2000 sawmill , Ford 4wd tractor,Grimm/Leader maple sugaring equipment, Ford F-350 12' flatbed truck

thecfarm

I'm kinda in central Maine.Got up to 19 with the a slight breeze.I went out in the afternoon to split some wood.When I came in at 5 it was 10°.Tommorow suppose to get up to 11,low will be -4.Good day to take the wife on a mystery ride to a fabric store.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Corley5

It started, just barely but it did start :) ;D  I got delayed for a few minutes getting out of my driveway onto the road.  Probably took 5,000 miles off the life of the clutch  ;) :)  I punched holes in the driveways with the 706 and blower.  On the level out of the wind the snow was over the tractor's front axle.  We got the two face cords processed and delivered and everything put away again.  It's still snowy and blowy so I didn't do a real good cleanup.  That'll wait until tomorrow when it's supposed to be quieter.  It's a balmy 13F here now.

SwampDonkey

At 3:00 pm it was +6° F, now it is -8° F.  Dropping fast. We had snow squals the last couple days.

The coldest in December was -7° F.

Coon

Swamp,  the colder it gets the easier those spruce branches break off.  98% of those branches break off flush with the log.  The other two percent of the time the bucker just lops any remaining stubs off with the chainsaw.

Some of the areas this logger is in right now haven't been logged in a hundred years or more.  Some we still think is virgin timber.  I asked him to count the rings for me.  Would love to know how old those trees are.  The 32" dbh is a big tree but not the biggest in the area.  I have seen some in the neighborhood of 60"  The largest I personally cut on our own land was 54" at the butt and there is larger in the forest reserve that he is logging in.

Norwood Lumbermate 2000 w/Kohler,
Husqvarna, Stihl and, Jonsereds Saws

SwampDonkey

Pretty big stuff, must be some National champions in there eh? As of 1978 the Nation Register of big trees in the US has the record white spruce at about 35 inches dbh and 128' tall. The Dendro text has recorded 48" dbh and 184 feet. The biggest I've seen locally would be around 30" and 100 feet, forest grown in well drained deep loam along riparian areas. Mostly they top out about 80 feet and 24" dbh when allowed to grow. The widest range of white spruce is across Canada. I read that the biggest trees are up in the Mackenzie Delta.

Anyway, getting back to the temperature, it's -16° F this morning. ;)

asy

I suppose it's a bad time to point out it's 30C here, 10.30pm and I have the air conditioner on... 

Well, the A/C's been on for two hours and it's down to 26.5 in my lounge room. Thankfully.

You guys can KEEP yer cold...  :)

asy :D
Never interrupt your opponent while he's making a mistake.
There cannot be a crisis next week. ~My schedule is already full..

Cedarman

Saturday was such a beautiful day in the woods.  No mud, no mud, no mud, no mud!!
Today should be a great day too. No mud, no mud, no mud!!!  The frozen ruts on the skid trail keep the forwarder headed to the log yard without steering.
I am in the pink when sawing cedar.

sbishop

Minus -34c this morning.....i've seen worse....HAHA

Thank You Sponsors!