iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

High School Wood SHop Projects

Started by shinnlinger, January 20, 2008, 08:13:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

shinnlinger

Folks,

I just stumbled on his forum and have already picked up some good pointers and ideas.  THanks.

I teach among other things, woodshop at the local high school.  I am in my third year of this and things are definatly getting beter, but I have some students that just dont care.  It seems to be an epidemic these days, and I know It will never go completly away, but I want to show the kids real skills that they can use in the real world.

I also want them to make something that is both within their ability to make in a realativly short period of time, but challenging enough so they feel a sense of accomplishment.  It is disheartening to see projects left at the end of the semester.  Obviuosly they kids didn't want to bring their stuff home.

ANy way, my question is this.  What do you feel are important skills for the student's to learn?(I have to spend at least a weak teaching how to measure), ANd, I am always open to project ideas that are small, not too complex, but something that the kids will find interesting and challenging. 

I should ad, Wood working magazines (unless I am missing one) are rarely a good source of ideas for the shop as they showcase meuseam peices that seem to intimidate rather than inspire and would be outside the scope of what we can do in a semester of 45 minute classes.  The time frame also rules out using alot of handtools and artistic carving endeavors.

Thanks for any and all input and ideas.
Shinnlinger
Woodshop teacher, pasture raised chicken farmer
34 horse kubota L-2850, Turner Band Mill, '84 F-600,
living in self-built/milled timberframe home

Patty

We have a guy on here who is a wonderful craftsman and shopteacher. Go to his profile:  Shopteacher   and look at his previous posts and photo gallery. His kids have accomplished many great projects over the years.

By the way, welcome to the forum!
Women are Angels.
And when someone breaks our wings....
We simply continue to fly ........
on a broomstick.....
We are flexible like that.

Phorester

When I took high school woodworking several of my classmates had no idea what they wanted to build for their class project.  I decided to make a small wooden box to hold my harmonica. Like making a jewelry box only much smaller. Classmates saw it and decided to make their own boxes for holding whatever.  In fact the first one I made was stolen.  The teacher had no sympathy.  I had to make a second one pretty quick.

thedeeredude

Spend as much time possible on shop safety and respect for power tools.  And don't turn your back.  If the teacher walked away for a minute kids would throw scrap wood on the running tablesaw blade to watch it fly into the wall.  They also shot at other kids with the air nailers.  Watch them like hawks.  In my case, most of the kids in the shop class were there by stupidity because they thought they wouldnt have to do actual brainy work. They arent careful around power tools though.  And safety glasses.  Gotta wear em, most kids didnt like to cuz they looked geeky.

SwampDonkey

Here's something that might take a couple classes. Turn the fuselage on a lathe and carve the nose and tail ends on a spindle sander after marking reference lines. Cut the wings on a band saw or scroll saw. You get experience with many tools on that one and it's simple. ;D

In light of thedeeredude's post:

If you have an air nailer on a compressor, nail into their noodles that it's not funny to use the air hose on someone's behind. The compressed air can rupture someone's bowls. We had a shop teacher that told us about a class clown that didn't realize how powerful an air compressor can be.
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Radar67

Welcome to the forum.

On the measuring class, give them good instruction on the use of a framing square. It seems that knowing how to use one for its intended purpose is becoming a lost art.

You may want to include a class on layout (stud wall framing) in the measuring class. Concentrate on measuring for the proper center (16 or 24).

My shop project was a book case. It was a needed item at home and it was a moderately challenging project for a beginner, especially the dado joints and radius edges.
"A man's time is the most valuable gift he can give another." TOM

If he can cling to his Blackberry, I can cling to my guns... Me

This will kill you, that will kill you, heck...life will kill you, but you got to live it!

"The man who can comprehend the why, can create the how." SFC J

Bro. Noble

I used to teach Voc. Ag. and part of that was starting freshmen in wood shop.  Their first project was a wooden tool box.  This first project was done completely with hand tools.  We had good power equipment for both wood and metal,  but I also felt strongly that they should learn skills that they could use at home.  They later made more complex projects using power tools,  Learning to use and maintainking tools that they would likely have at home was a priority with me.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

tim1234

I agree with the "Respect" aspect.

Respect for:

Your Fingers
Power Tools
Other's Saftey
Wood
Those in authority: the teacher.

They used to show some bad accidents in movies when I was a kid to show what could happen.  The kids in my grades used to like to cut pencils in half with the bandsaw, even when the power was off.  1 kid still cut off a finger just witht he inertia of the spinning wheels.

How about gifts.  They might take more interest if they are making something for someone else.  there are some excellent examples of awesome cuttiing boards here on the forum.  I made chess and checker boards as well.

Tim
You buy a cheap tool twice...and then you're still stuck with a cheap tool!!
Husky 372XP, 455 Rancher, Echo CS300, Alaskan 30" Chainsaw Mill

shinnlinger

THese are great ideas guys....thanks and keep them coming.

Last year I started teaching boxes, and they are indeed catching on, but you guys are right, I spend at least a month on safety and I tell stories and show pictures.  I dont have compressed air handy for the reasons you guys mentioned.  Every once in a while it comes out of the back room and within 15 minutes I remember why I dont use it.

I once had a kid throw baloney at another student while he was using the jointer, but he didn't make it back to class after that.  No safety glasses?  THrowing crap?  See you later!  UNfortunatly it has to be zero tolerance. 

Last year one student was using the radial arm saw and another decided to "help" without the operator knowing it and he had to have his finger surgicaly repaired...should have stuck to teaching social studies.

But good engaging ideas really help.  If the kids see value they are much less of a behavoir issue.
Shinnlinger

fstedy

Cutting Boards are relatively easy and satifing projects that use many of the basic skills. If you do a cutting board search here you'll see some great examples.
Timberking B-20   Retired and enjoying every minute of it.
Former occupations Electrical Lineman, Airline Pilot, Owner operator of Machine Shop, Slot Machine Technician and Sawmill Operator.
I know its a long story!!!

Larry

I just made a coat rack with turned pegs.  Tools used were table saw, band saw, drill press, router, belt sander, and lathe.  It was a small, easy to build project which used a large number of tools.

Dad has been making a variety of small projects for charity auctions.  By far the one project that has generated the most interest (and money) has been small step stools for the kitchen.  They can be structured to test the skill levels from beginner to advanced with dovetail joinery, inlays, and fancy scroll work.
Larry, making useful and beautiful things out of the most environmental friendly material on the planet.

We need to insure our customers understand the importance of our craft.

Don P

I glued up and turned what I guess would be a "sectional" salad bowl of several woods. Other classes before us had built the concession stand on the ball field and utility buildings to auction for school fundraising.

I always have wondered why the math and shop classes weren't more integrated. I asked at the time in math "what will I use this for?" she didn't give much of an answer due to the fact she had never actually used it in the real world. My head hit the desk. I've been trying to learn that stuff ever since. Put some math to work for them. Showing how to calculate and build stairs or cut rafters would help for their future. Extra credit figure and layout a hip and jacks, spin those triangles in their heads. Then give the plywood cuts and angles, etc.

Bandsaw boxes are pretty neat quickies as are yoyo's to introduce those tools.
coffee and end tables
lamps
study carrel/ book shelf that goes atop a desk with a corkboard back
under bed 3 drawer storage boxes
Hope chest
File cabinet
CD rack

A bandmill in the parking lot would make for a cool day  8)
One sawyer in our church donated a load of mixed hardwood that we stickered up and then put fans on for kids in the classes behind us that didn't have wood.

CHARLIE

I used to live in Dover, Minnesota and the Dover-Eyota High School shop students would take orders for 10' X 12' garden sheds.  Then they would build them and the people that ordered them had to come haul them to their property.  It was a way for the students to learn construction techniques and earn money for the school.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

woodsteach

Quote from: Bro.  Noble on January 20, 2008, 12:57:40 PM
This first project was done completely with hand tools.  We had good power equipment for both wood and metal,  but I also felt strongly that they should learn skills that they could use at home.  They later made more complex projects using power tools,  Learning to use and maintainking tools that they would likely have at home was a priority with me.

I've been teaching woods for the past 13 years and strongly agree with Bro. Noble.  Our first project is a 4x6 sanding block then a desktop book/cd shelf using nothing but handtools.  I teach them that the steps are the same as power tools just ....different tools  ;D.  Then we spend 1-2 weeks on power tool safety and then it is a display shelf made using the power tools and once that is completed they construct a nightstand/endtable.  I've found for the intro class directing the projects like this imparts more knowledge into the students .  The follow up classes the students are allowed more freedom in their projects and those the prove the ability and desire the sky is the limit for the others just keep them busy.

I currently teach at my 4th school (3 voluntary moves and 1 Reduction In Force) and from the moves I've made it takes YOU 3-4 years to get the students and projects where you want them to be.  I've always had year classes some were 48 minutes long and now I teach everyother day in the block setting (90) minute classes.  In all honesty the 48 minute classes the students worked harder and faster because they were forced to by the time limit.

SAFETY 1st!
Knowledge 2nd
Ability 3rd
Projects Last.
You will have some students drop out b/c of lack of interest but those that stay with you for 2-4 years will begin to draw more attention to your program and the projects the students are turning out.

well must go our 10 min. break is over

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

Dave Shepard

In my high school they had a great industrial arts building. Complete with some pretty serious wood working equipment. I think it was all Powermatic. There was also a metal working shop. None of it was used, and when they built the new school in '91 they scrapped it all. There was a small wood shop in the new school, but it has never been used. >:( It would have been great to have learned some wood working skills in school. Computers are the focus these days, but there are many kids that are never going to go on to make a living from them, and many will go on to make a living from working in the building trades. A head start in H.S. would be a great service to them. I am glad to see that some areas are still offering woodshop classes. shinnlinger good job on trying to keep your students interested!

Dave
Wood-Mizer LT40HDD51-WR Wireless, Kubota L48, Honda Rincon 650, TJ208 G-S, and a 60"LogRite!

Bro. Noble

Woodsteach,
Gosh it feels good to have someone agree with me-----doesn't happen too often ::)

I remember taking a student teacher to visit a neighboring school and both of us being shocked that most of the shop students weren't wearing safty glasses.  The student teacher asked about it and he said "ya just can't make those kids wear them"  Well thats just not so.  After spending most of their time in a classroom,  most students are really anxious for a chance to work in shop.  After going over safty rules,  I announced that the next day we would start working in the shop.  I would have lesson plans prepared for the classroom for another week,  because I knew it would take a little while for them to get used to working safely.  When we first entered the shop,  they were assigned safty glasses.  I showed them some lenses that had been replaced and emphasized that each of the pock marks could have been a serious eye injury.  I then told them that if I observed any violations of the safty rules or any other behavior that could get someone hurt that we would return to the classroom till the next day.  It was usually just a few minutes the first couple of days till they were back in the classroom.  After about a week,  they thought and practiced safty and never questioned the rules.  They usually developed pride in their work and their shop  as well as in their developing skills.  We never had any accidents that a bandaid couldn't fix.
milking and logging and sawing and milking

SwampDonkey

One rule you guys didn't mention. The shop's gotta be cleaned up toward the end of each class.  ;)

Booooh!  :D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Phorester

Good points BroNoble on safety, and good points DonP on using thing you learn in school in the real world.

I've often wondered about letting the blood spots from accidents dry on the tools and walls as teaching aids........ would that "fly" in todays world?

Each year we give a 10-15 minute presentation on tools used by a forester in a conservation field day for 6th graders.  I've talked about it on this forum before.  When explaining what tools we use to measure tree heights, I explain that the tool takes the concepts of right triangles that they learn in math class and puts them in this instrument.  The instrument simply measures the vertical sides of two right triangles, and you add them together for the total tree height. Explaining that a diameter tape uses the same formula they learn in class for converting circumfrence to diameter.  The teachers love it, and you can see a few lights go on in some of the students' eyes.

woodsteach

Quote from: SwampDonkey on January 21, 2008, 11:28:40 AM
One rule you guys didn't mention. The shop's gotta be cleaned up toward the end of each class.  ;)

Booooh!  :D

Yep forgot that one!  We spend 7 min. each class cleaning up at the end of the period.  Although looking out my office window right now the welding lab doesn't look too good,  ::), but the projects are comming together nicely.

Quote from: Phorester on January 21, 2008, 12:19:45 PM
Good points BroNoble on safety, and good points DonP on using thing you learn in school in the real world.

I've often wondered about letting the blood spots from accidents dry on the tools and walls as teaching aids........ would that "fly" in todays world?

I've had 2 injuries in the 13 years requireing stitches and both left the blood trail.  Yep it makes a nice teaching aid.  Behind our table saw is a garage door w/small windows and prior to me a kickback put a hole in one and that is also a nice reminder of what can happen.

woods

woodsteach
Brand X Swing Mill, JD 317 Skidloader, MS460 & 290, the best family a guy could ever dream of...all provided by God up above.  (with help from our banker ; ) )

shinnlinger

This is great, keep it rolling.

I teach a building construction class also and that is were I go over construction principles.  Currently we are building a 16x20 timber frame for the town forest.  I dont know if I am doing them a service teaching them this or not, but the studetns in that class enjoy what they are doing.  I tell them they will be able to take their grandkids to it and be able to show them were they screwed up, so they haven't screwed up to bad.  What I do know is the sheds my predecesor made didn't sell.  I had to finish the last one and deliver i myself for a loss.  Out here in Hicksville, people wont pay $1500 for a garden shed, that is what old vans are for!

As far as safety goes, the fact that there was a radial arm saw incident last year, it keeps the kids pretty sober so far and the safety glass thing is more of an honest I forgot than anything else.  I try to order 4 or five different styles of glasses from slick to geek and let the kids pick which one is theirs.  We then engrave their name on them and I give them to them at the end of the semester and that helps alot with taking care/wearing them.  THat and they get a zero for the day and sit in the inschool room if they don't.  I here they fire people at John Deere if they don't wear glasses so why not in woodshop too?

I look forward to considering all of the project ideas with the other shop teacher.  My district is fortunate to not have gotten rid of it's shop program because once they are gone, forget it, they aint coming back.  And these days with the "No child left behind" you can't hide the dropout rate and my classes are always full, so I don't mind "shooting the lead sleddog" to keep the place safe
Shinnlinger

Osric

Consider using 2 species of wood that have contrasting color when you can.  Maple/Cherry or Maple/Walnut will catch their eyes a lot more than pointing out "fine craftsmenship."

jdtuttle

As a Board of Education member I understand the budget constraints faced by schools & I also understand the value of education through hands on experience. Your interest in finding projects for your students speaks highly of your dedication. We started an Alternative school a couple years ago for some of our kids that don't fit into the regular classroom environment. These are the kids that usually don't come to school & have other issues. There good kids that just need a little more guidance. Last year I had several of them help me build a storage shed for the Town & it worked out really well. They did all the work with a little guidance. I recently read about a teacher in NY that developed a program to build portable buildings on trailers. He had one listed on E-bay. I contacted him & he has been doing this for 9 years. I have the contact information at work if your interested. Keep up the good work and remember "The best thing to spend on children is time"
Have a great day

shopteacher

I posted a few pictures of some shop projects I had here at home in my gallery.  I can't seem to remember how to post to this page though.  The small stool is the project that the 1st. year students build.  I like it because they use about every machine except the lathe and shaper.  The Remington is screen printed on the seat and we had several different screens for different designs.  The box is a reproduction of an old ammo box and made with finger joints.  The can crusher is a neat project and not very difficult. The heart ring box, picture frame, open heart without a lid, and the jewelry box with the rose are pieces I made for my wife for valentines days. They were cut out on the CNC router.

I take 5 weeks to go over safety and operation of each machine they will be using and all have to pass a safety examine on each machine with a 75 or better in order to begin working. I keep the test as a written document that they had safety instruction in case of an accident.
   Next year I will be starting a CNC & Automation Class.  We got a second Multicam router this year with a 50"X50" table, 4hp. spindle,  auto tool changer and vacuum table.  I'm on a sabbatical this year and haven't been there to try out the new machine yet.
   I started a construction class 12 years ago and each year in the spring the class builds a shed for a teacher, parent or member of the community. They pay for the materials and we design and build it, then unassemble it and move it to their property.  We've taken building up to an hours drive away for the school. Field trip!
   I hope these might give you an idea for a future project.
Proud owner of a LT40HDSE25, Corley Circle mill, JD 450C, JD 8875, MF 1240E
Tilt Bed Truck  and well equipted wood shop.

shinnlinger

Shopteacher,

Thanks for the input, I was trying to look at your past posts as recomended by Patty? but I couldn't figure that out.  I would love to see more.

Nice stuff and great ideas.  I hope I can work up to that.  I have the intro kids build a stool also, and I like it for the same reasons you do, but they are not as nice as yours.  My safety program is similiar to yours.  The guy who I replaced (he retired) told me CYOA (cover your own @$$) on the safety documentation so I have taken his advice there.

We just started a new semester and I was encouraged today when the fabrication students seemed to be really into "the golden ratio" as we were designing boxes.  Nothing to crazy but I think I wil try an inlay with them and see where that gets me and I have an end table or barstool plan I think they will like.  All new plans to try to change up the routine.  The timber frame kids are perhaps a little too excited, but so far so good.

Thanks again folks!
Shinnlinger

Dodgy Loner

Quote from: Osric on January 21, 2008, 06:40:42 PM
Consider using 2 species of wood that have contrasting color when you can.  Maple/Cherry or Maple/Walnut will catch their eyes a lot more than pointing out "fine craftsmenship."

Very true, Osric.  When I made my first piece of furniture a few years, I knew absolutely nothing about fine craftsmanship, and the resulting coffee table makes that very apparent.  I did know that using cherry and maple in the same piece would result in an interesting design, however.  Although I can't stand to look at that coffee table anymore, people who know very little about woodworking always gawk at it, conveniently overlooking the warped top and the shoddy M&T joints  smiley_smug01.
"There is hardly anything in the world that some man cannot make a little worse and sell a little cheaper, and the people who consider price only are this man's lawful prey." -John Ruskin

Any idiot can write a woodworking blog. Here's mine.

Thank You Sponsors!