iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

first saw

Started by thedeeredude, January 19, 2008, 08:26:48 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

thedeeredude

I'm gonna be buying my first saw, this week hopefully.  Is the redmax g5000 a good saw?  It's the main one I'm looking at, my second choice is a Shindaiwa 490.  Any input is appreciated.  Thanks

slidecreekdan

Stihl and Huskys are hard to beat.  Lots of good things said about a Dolmar.

ladylake

Stihl and Husky pro models are good but cost a lot. Redmax, Shindawia, Echo you'll get more quality for your money than a homeowner Husky or Stihl.  Everyone loves the Dolmar 5100s, it's a 50cc hot rod and cost around $400.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

peter nap

A lot depends on what your going to do with it. I am far from being a professional but do use a saw a lot.
I've also spent a ton of money over tjee years on homeowner saws. I've finally realized that one or two good saws may well last me the rest of my life while I would have to keep replacing the low end ones.

Aside from a 25.00 yardsale saw, I have a Husky 445 which I consider a heavy homeowner saw, I have a Dolmar 665 which I flat love.

I can't help with the ones your looking at but do suggest at the bigger saws to get a longer life out of them. The smaller and cheaper ones will cut....they just get tired early.

thedeeredude

I occasionally go into the woods to get small log sections for turning blanks.  Maybe 2 foot diameter logs at the most and I cut them 16-24" long.  Id use the saw to rip them into sizes good for the lathe then.   I don't want to overbuy, but don't want to under buy either.   I'm steering away from husky and stihl, I looked at them already and the size and style saw I'm looking for is not that good quality as far as Im concerned.

Ed

What models of Stihl & Husky were you looking at?

Ed

thedeeredude

I think the 142, the rancher and I've run a 350, my cousin has it.  The stihl in my price range I wasn't too impressed with.  I've also run a farm boss that my buddy has and it was ok.  I ran the red max and the shindaiwa and was impressed with both.  Today Im going to a stihl dealer to see what they have for saws. 

sawguy21

Red Max and Shindaiwa make excellent products but servicing dealers can be hard to find.I have never used a Red Max saw but the Shindaiwa is sweet, good power, light, and very reliable. The models you are looking at seem a little small for ripping though.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thedeeredude

Theres two redmax dealers and two shindaiwa dealers who service within a half hour of me and I know a guy who does good saw work.  I'm now looking mostly at the redmax g621 for what I want to do.  I can get a deal of the saw with a 20" bar with two oregon vanguard chains a gallon of bar oil and a six pack of two cycle oil for $450.  I'd prefer to upgrade to a 24" bar but Ill take what I get.

limbrat

A first saw should be american made about 2/3 your age cost no more than a case of beer and have either tie wire or jb weld holding some critical part on.  ;D I think with the big three you get the most bang for your buck with dolmar, but shindawia makes a good saw and if the service is there go for it. I dont know for redmax.
ben

thedeeredude

Quote from: limbrat on January 21, 2008, 04:23:05 PM
A first saw should be american made about 2/3 your age cost no more than a case of beer and have either tie wire or jb weld holding some critical part on.  ;D 

Hahaha.  I aint even old enough to buy beer. smiley_beertoast  I do have a saw like that though, an old echo cs400evl I inherited.  No chain brake, slow cutting, but it has grunt.  If you bury down in the cut it just pulls through.

ErikC

My advice is get one that's bigger than you think you'll need. Then it's only going to be a little too small ;) I'm not talking about something outrageous, just bump it up a size, then run a bar the length you were talking about. It will cut much faster, particularly when ripping. It's frustrating having an underpowered saw.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

thedeeredude

Quote from: ErikC on January 21, 2008, 08:42:29 PM
My advice is get one that's bigger than you think you'll need. Then it's only going to be a little too small ;) I'm not talking about something outrageous, just bump it up a size, then run a bar the length you were talking about. It will cut much faster, particularly when ripping. It's frustrating having an underpowered saw.

Erik

So you're saying I should get a 3120 or 880? 8)  I've decided on a minimum 60cc.

Dan_Shade

what's your budget?  also, are you going to do felling or limbing, or general firewood use?

I'm a stihl fan myself, I have a 260 (which many say is antiquated) that I like very much.  It's light and cuts pretty good.  the light part is what I like about it. 
Woodmizer LT40HDG25 / Stihl 066 alaskan
lots of dull bands and chains

There's a fine line between turning firewood into beautiful things and beautiful things into firewood.

ladylake

Sounds like a good price for a 62cc quality saw.   Steve
Timberking B20  18000  hours +  Case75xt grapple + forks+8" snow bucket + dirt bucket   770 Oliver   Lots(too many) of chainsaws, Like the Echo saws and the Stihl and Husky     W5  Case loader   1  trailers  Wright sharpener     Suffolk  setter Volvo MCT125c skid loader

ErikC

So you're saying I should get a 3120 or 880? 8)  I've decided on a minimum 60cc.
[/quote]

Maybe for saw # 2. Let's get #1 right first :)

The size your talking about includes the stihl 390, about 64cc. I have an 039 that has been fantastic. In husky the 460 is 60cc. I'd be inclined to try the 359 instead, same weight, a little more power. I don't know much about the other brands. Those saws I just mentioned are very capable.

Erik
Peterson 8" with 33' tracks, JCB 1550 4x4 loader backhoe, several stihl chainsaws

ladylake

Stihl  390 and the Husky 460 are no where near the quality of the Redmax.    Steve

SawTroll

Quote from: thedeeredude on January 21, 2008, 03:42:16 PM
Theres two redmax dealers and two shindaiwa dealers who service within a half hour of me and I know a guy who does good saw work.  I'm now looking mostly at the redmax g621 for what I want to do.  I can get a deal of the saw with a 20" bar with two oregon vanguard chains a gallon of bar oil and a six pack of two cycle oil for $450.  I'd prefer to upgrade to a 24" bar but Ill take what I get.
Sounds like a good deal, except for the Vanguard chains...... ::) ::)
Information collector.

ErikC

I don't know anything about redmax. If they are better quality than stihl and theres a servicing dealer around....BUY IT! I haven't ever seen one around here. As several times has been stated, dealer suppurt is about half the value. If you run equipment a lot, it'll break down and need fixed eventually. No matter what kind you have.

Erik

thedeeredude

Its for bucking downed logs.  Were not allowed to fell where Im getting the wood from.  A little limbing, mostly bucking and some ripping.  I'll get different chain certainly.  It has an oregon double guard power match bar on it from factory.  I've pretty much decided on the redmax.  From what I hear husky recently bought them out.  Theres three servicing dealers within a half hour of me.  Thanks.

thedeeredude

I just looked at windsors website and they have a speed tip bar and semi chisel chain to fit the 621.  I can't wait 8)

ladylake

You better get one before Husky decides to cheapen them up like the home owner Huskys.    Steve

sawguy21

Husky did recently buy Redmax but are not distributing them through their dealers at this time. The Canadian distributor dropped the line due to lack of factory support so it might be wise to hold off on a Redmax until the whole thing shakes out.
old age and treachery will always overcome youth and enthusiasm

thedeeredude

Well, Im the proud new owner of a.....................Husky 359 etech 8) 8) 8) with a 20" bar 8) 8) 8)  $475 for the saw and bar and chain and a second stihl chain for $10. Thanks for the help and replies fellas.  I went with the husky for a couple reasons, the redmax wasnt in stock and would have to be ordered, the redmax has more plastic, husky has a ginormous super dooper dealer network nationwide and the husky has better support and parts availability. 

maple flats

I think you made a good choice. One of my saws is a Husky 359 and it is real good. You can run a 24" reg. chain with no problem. For longer than 24" I suggest a skip chain and set the oiler up to max. The oil pump has 3 settings, with longer bars you need the higher setting. I also have a Husky 350 which is lighter and I use that for the smaller cutting. For several years I used Poulans and thought I liked them, cheap, lite to use and so on. Then I got my first husky and I will never go back to the homeowner poulans again.
logging small time for years but just learning how,  2012 36 HP Mahindra tractor, 3point log arch, 8000# class excavator, lifts 2500# and sets logs on mill precisely where needed, Woodland Mills HM130Max , maple syrup a hobby that consumes my time. looking to learn blacksmithing.

ErikC

You won't be sorry.
For several years I used Poulans and thought I liked them, cheap, lite to use and so on. Then I got my first husky and I will never go back to the homeowner poulans again.
Reminds me of a story earlier this year. I was cutting for a man named Jason who is very new to this life in the woods. When he moved out here his dad gave him an old poulan that had a worn-out bar and chain. He suffered through it for a few months and thought "that's just how chainsaws are". Finally he bought a new Husky, 450 I think, and when he first cut with it "My eyes welled up with tears and I  felt like falling to my knees with my hands in the air and giving thanks"  Exact Quote!

Erik

Thank You Sponsors!