iDRY Vacuum Kilns

Sponsors:

Hello everyone - new member here

Started by Mrs. Haytrader, January 19, 2008, 04:43:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Mrs. Haytrader

Hello everyone.  Just wanted to introduce myself as I am a new member here.  My husband (haytrader) speaks of this site often, and has for the past several years since he became a member.  Three months ago I quit the corporate world to become a full-time woodworker, and I have lots to learn!  I'm sure that all of you pro's out there have a vast knowledgebase that I can learn from.   :P 

Mrs. Haytrader

Fla._Deadheader

Well, Howdy, Maam  8) 8)  Welcome.  We been getting peeks at some of your projects. Looks to me like you could teach some of us a few things.  8) 8) 8)
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

faronskid

5 rugrats = no dull moments here

thecfarm

Welcome to the forum,Mrs.Haytrader.Good luck with your wood working skills.
Model 6020-20hp Manual Thomas bandsaw,TC40A 4wd 40 hp New Holland tractor, 450 Norse Winch, Heatmor 400 OWB,YCC 1978-79

Norm

ronwood

Sawing part time mostly urban logs -St. Louis/Warrenton, Mo.
LT40HG25 Woodmizer Sawmill
LX885 New Holland Skidsteer

Kevin

Welcome Mrs. H.
What wood working projects are you projecting?

sgtmaconga

I would like to request you to post his honey do list. i want to see if my wife has a bigger list
Measure twice cut once

SwampDonkey

Hi Mrs.

Ask anything that comes to mind. Well let me rephrase that..... well anyway... Many of our posts might slant toward food, but we do what we can.  ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

WDH

Hey Mrs Haytrader.  Good to have you along.
Woodmizer LT40HDD35, John Deere 2155, Kubota M5-111, Kubota L2501, Nyle L53 Dehumidification Kiln, and a passion for all things with leafs, twigs, and bark.  hamsleyhardwood.com

slidecreekdan

Furby

Welcome Mrs. H! 8)
Bout time you joined in here! ;)

Mrs. Haytrader

Hi there Furby, good to "see" you again!

And in response to your question, Kevin, "What woodworking projects am I projecting?"  Well, that depends on what Mr. Haytrader tells me ... shows me ... teaches me to do!   :-\  I'm sort of groping around in the dark right now .... feel like a babe lost in the forrest at times ... totally out of "my element" that I have been so comfortable in for so long.  I'm sure it will get easier as I learn.  But, there's nothing any nicer than the smell of sawdust, and being your own boss!  (Well, almost my own boss ... )  ::)

Stump Jumper

Welcome Mrs.Haytrader good to hear from you again. I was the one that Furby drug along to visit and camp out in the canyons of OK. and look at ERC.
Jeff
May God Bless.
WM LT 40 SuperHDD42 HP Kubota walk & ride, WM Edger, JD Skidsteer 250, Farmi winch, Bri-Mar Dump Box Trailer, Black Powder

brdmkr

Welcome!  I hope that you have worked out computer sharing time as this place sort of grows on you.  You may find that you both want to post at the same time.
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

Haytrader

::)

Got that covered brdmkr.
She got a new lappy so I could have my puter back.

;)
Haytrader

Mrs. Haytrader

Hi Stump Jumper.  Yes, I remember you, too!  And I am fortunate enough to not have to share my time on the computer now with Haytrader as he was kind enough to buy me a laptop of my very own!  Isn't he great???!!! 8) smiley_clapping 

brdmkr

Well I'll be, already posting at the same time 8)
Lucas 618  Mahindra 4110, FEL and pallet forks, some cant hooks, and a dose of want-to

CHARLIE

Welcome to the forum Mrs. Haytrader!  8)  You'll enjoy it here and there is a lot of expertise to answer just about any question you can come up with.

In my opinion, the most important thing about working around sharp tools and cutting machines is to not lose any fingers, run your fingers or hand into a saw or cut yourself with a razor sharp wood chisle. When using the table saw, bandsaw or jointer, use push sticks to keep your hands clear of the blade. If the wood kicks out and you are pushing with your hand, you can't stop pushing fast enough and it's over before you knew it starteted. :o
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Mrs. Haytrader

Very good advice Charlie.  In fact, one of the very first things that I made was a push stick.  I saw one in a tool store and thought that would be pretty handy to have, so I went home and made one.  I use it all the time when I am ripping boards.  It's become my best friend when I use that monster of a radial arm saw.  I'm still a little leary of all those machines, and have great respect for them!  My favorite to use is the scroll saw.  I enjoy doing detailed work.  I also have had fun using the router making signs.  Haytrader bought me this sign maker kit with templates and everything to use, but after struggling off and on for two days trying to get the dang things set up, I just decided to throw them aside and go free-hand .... and I managed a lot better!  I used to be a professional cake decorater for years so I find it's a lot easier for me to "write" with the router free-hand.  Right now that's pretty much about all I can do ... unless you want to count all the mistakes I've made!   :-[

CHARLIE

Just remember that the router bit is spinning about 25,000 RPM and when you're done cutting to hold it away from you until the bit stops spinning.

Also.....I got rid of my radial arm saw 'cause I feel they are a very dangerous tool. The blade will have a tendency to climb on top of a board and walk across the top of the board very fast. If your hand or arm is in front of the blade, it will shorten your arm by 1/8 inch after the doctors reattach it.  I absolutely wouldn't rip with my radial arm saw. :o

You'll always make mistakes. Then you'll either have to cut a new piece or re-engineer your project. I always measure carefully, twice, before cutting my boards to short.
Charlie
"Everybody was gone when I arrived but I decided to stick around until I could figure out why I was there !"

Mrs. Haytrader

Yep, that's the road I've been down ... measuring & cutting wrong.  I'm ready to try a different route!  I keep thinking that someday I'm going to get this down ...  ::)

fat olde elf

Welcome Mrs. H !!  Early in this post I was going to suggest that you try working with a scroll saw. DanG, you are already there.  There is a lady in Tennesse that is an intarsia artist.
Google intarsia and you can find her.  She has great patterns for detail oriented folks like you.
Hope to see your work here on the Forum.  Paul R. aka Fat Olde Elf
Cook's MP-32 saw, MF-35, Several Husky Saws, Too Many Woodworking Tools, 4 PU's, Kind Wife.

SwampDonkey

At the very least you'll have firewood. Nothing wasted. ;D
"No amount of belief makes something a fact." James Randi

1 Thessalonians 5:21

2020 Polaris Ranger 570 to forward firewood, Husqvarna 555 XT Pro, Stihl FS560 clearing saw and continuously thinning my ground, on the side. Grow them trees. (((o)))

Fla._Deadheader

QuoteYep, that's the road I've been down ... measuring & cutting wrong.  I'm ready to try a different route!

No problem, Senora.

Measure twice, cut once, shim to fit.  8) 8) :D :D
All truth passes through three stages:
   First, it is ridiculed;
   Second, it is violently opposed; and
   Third, it is accepted as self-evident.

-- Arthur Schopenhauer (1788-1860)

Thank You Sponsors!